You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Please excuse what may seem like very basic questions but I am extremely unexperienced with graphic design.  I've used GIMP for a few months and found it clunky and time consuming, so I recently purchased Affinity Photo and I am contemplating purchasing Affinity Designer depending on the answer to my question.  I've watched several of the tutorials and have searched the help section and forums but have not found an answer to several of my questions.

I own a Cricut cutting machine and I make t-shirts using heat transfer vinyl.  I have figured out how to make pngs in affinity and import them into cricut design space.  This is pretty easy.  However, what I would like to know is if I can create svgs in affinity to import into Cricut design space?  I can currently purchase svg files online and when I import them into Cricut design space, I only have to do 1 import and each layer/element that is in a different color is imported in one file.  This makes it quick and efficient and then I can edit each layer/element independently in design space.  Is there a way for me to make files like this with affinity photo and/or affinity design?  Since I use vinyl, I need each color in design space as a separate layer.

I have attached a screenshot as an example.  I have created this simple text/shape graphic in photo.  My designs are super simple, mostly text and shapes.  I want to import it as an svg into Cricut design space so that when I open in Cricut design space, the arrow and text are different layers so that I can cut out the text in black and then the arrow in red vinyl.  I know how to save each layer as a png, but then I have to import each layer separately.  This isn't a big deal for something relatively simple, but if I'm using more than 2 or 3 colors, it gets tedious.  Is there a way to do this?  I have very basic knowledge and don't know much of the terminology, though I'm spending about an hour each day online learning.  But I need a very basic explanation.

Thanks,

Lynnsey

post-44810-0-38774800-1481121864_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Lynnsey,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, you can export to SVG simply using File > Export, however it doesn't have any options to separate the colours. You would need to do the same as you have been doing with the PNG files.

If you have Affinity Photo, I would recommend trying some basic vector work in that app, and see how that SVG imports into Cricut Design Space.  Although Designer gives you many more vector options than Photo, I think you will have some of the same results as far as exporting / importing, to find your basic layering options.

I have a Silhouette Cameo, and have had sizing trouble with my AD SVGs importing into the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software  (I've had some of the same with importing to other apps as well)  Using PDF as my export option, I have had better success.   Importing a AD created SVG definitely gives me the option to cut by color (if you color the pieces of each layer the same color) in my SSDE software.

Even though I have the Designer Edition and not just the basic Silhouette software, AD has become my "go to" software for designing my cuts.  (I do paper crafts, cards, wall vinyl, heat transfer, etc.)

I do realize that while CDS is similar, it is not identical to SSDE, but hope this helps some.

• 4 years later...

I use affinity with Cricut all of the time.  Some tips for making svg move over easily.  Put each individual color in its own layer.  Cricut doesn’t like big files so it you have a a lot of colors or complicated cuts export individual layers/colors as separate files.  Very easy to do with Affinity export.  Make sure you have as few nodes as possible.  If having a hard time export each color as its own png then open them in Cricut.  Good luck 

Edited by Aliciameagan