You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

I am a new user of affinity designer, i have 2 questions about patterns:

1. Is there a way to create a pattern as a fill color other than to create a separated file or a symbol and repeat it manually?

2. How to open/import ai files which include a path filled with a pattern. (When i open a ai file includes pattern fill, it seems it converts pattern to bitmap and pixelated which i dont want and i can't manipulate the pattern.)

Thank you all.

• Staff

Hi creaturerigger,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes for raster based patterns. With an object (shape) selected change to the Gradient Tool, select Bitmap from the Type dropdown on the context toolbar right above the work area and pick the image you want to use as a pattern. You can control it through the handles on canvas and options from the context toolbar.

2. We don't support vector based patterns from Illustrator.

Hi creaturerigger,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes for raster based patterns. With an object (shape) selected change to the Gradient Tool, select Bitmap from the Type dropdown on the context toolbar right above the work area and pick the image you want to use as a pattern. You can control it through the handles on canvas and options from the context toolbar.

2. We don't support vector based patterns from Illustrator.

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you have any plan to create a pattern tool? Because it is really tedious to duplicate and create a pattern manually. I have another question i don't know if it is ok me to ask it here. So how can i move an object with a given distance, is there a option box like illustrator?

02.jpg

To move it numerically there are two ways:

• Transform Studio
  • Align Menu from toolbar, defining vertical or horizontal spacing

To replicate it iteratively

• Select your object
  • Hit CMD+J or CTRL+J
  • Move it by the distance you want (AD shows the value dynamically)
  • With this copy selected repeat CMD+J until you have reached the number of copies

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• Staff

• Transform Studio

• Select your object
  • Hit CMD+J or CTRL+J
  • With this copy selected repeat CMD+J until you have reached the number of copies

Hi creaturerigger,

As far as i know there's no plans to create a pattern tool at the moment. Besides the process paolo described above, you may want to try to use symbols to create a template which you can use to interactively build patterns as seen here (00:20s).

• 1 month later...

• Transform Studio

• Select your object
  • Hit CMD+J or CTRL+J

thank you for your response

• 1 year later...

The biggest problem isn't, when you create vectors, but when you need read vector pdf. You have really great pdf read features, but when it come to patterns, its useless. I work as architect and I often edit vector based sheets (plans, views...), and when I edit these pdf's, Designer doesn't convert pattern, worst is that it destroys them!! I had pattern of concrete and voila - i have dirt... Maybe you think, its not important, but for us - architects, designers, CAD users - its really huge problem... The same as missing selection by parameter (up to fill, color...)