You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beachballing... :(

Hi

I was testing out the symbols by making a simple isometric building with symbols for the windows and, while I managed to make a decent number of them, now trying to edit things by moving the windows around is dramatically slow, with the beachball coming up and usually ending with me having to force quit the program.

Panning and zooming the scene is fine, but just trying to move a window by even a tiny bit brings up the beachball.

While I can understand that there are quite a few shapes, groups etc. in the scene, it doesn't seem to me that there are so many to cause such a dip in performance. Maybe its something to do with symbols backend? Or, am I just being overly ambitious ;)

I've attached the file in question. Try to select and move a window around. Hope it helps :)

My system:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), 16GB RAM, using the GeForce GT 650M discrete card. Latest Sierra Public beta (10.12.2 Beta (16C60b))

AD ver 1.5.4 (Mac App Store version - I can't run the latest beta as its version is earlier than my App Store version)

Apartment Building.afdesign

Just tried it on a iMac (2010) with latest Sierra 6 Beta, no beachball. Do you have more programs running? Virusscanner perhaps?

Nothing else major is running, just AD and safari and a couple of menu bar apps. I even reinstalled AD from the App Store.

Did you manage to move a window on the building around? The scene itself works fine and I can pan and zoom around nice and smoothly without any beachball. Its when I try and move a window on the building to another place that it dies. Interestingly, option-dragging a window to duplicate it works fine, but will cause the beachball once I "let it go" and try to move it.

BTW: during the beachball, activity monitor shows 100% CPU utilisation and no noticeable change in memory usage (about 350MB). If it succeeds in completing the move, CPU returns to 2% and the beachball disappears.

• Staff

I've just tried this on my Mac and the Windows version and everything seems OK  :unsure: I think the issue is definitely isolated your end. I get a minor redraw lag but only very occasionally. Nothing untoward in my Activity Monitor either... 

I've just tried this on my Mac and the Windows version and everything seems OK  :unsure: I think the issue is definitely isolated your end. I get a minor redraw lag but only very occasionally. Nothing untoward in my Activity Monitor either... 

Oh boy, not another one of those  :wacko: ...

I just tried it in the latest App Store version on my El Capitan partition and it worked fine: smooth, no beachballs...

All right then...

I just control- started the app and cleared all data and now it magically works... :rolleyes: There must have been something cached somewhere that was affecting things.

So its all good now, but a pity we couldn't nail down exactly what was causing it.

Thanks all! :)

• Staff

So its all good now, but a pity we couldn't nail down exactly what was causing it.

It normally does the trick but that's why I didn't start with suggesting that. It's normally a last resort for us but if it's working that's great. I did just try it on a Mac running Sierra and it was fine on there too but at least you've cracked it :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.