You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

a zig zag generator

Hello,

I create notice for software and sometimes I do not want to put the whole screen. To expose the reader that the screen shot is partial, I realise a zig zag rectangle as this one

GClGTVZP.png

I would appreciate to be able to generate it directly from a rectangle or from a path between two points. The software could ask me the medium width, medium height and the roundness of the zig zag to create.

So for my need, I draw a pure rectangle, I convert it to curves and the for each side I need a zig zag, call this piece of code to generate one.

What about this idea ?

I hope i am clear in my need and I apologize for my english.

Regards

Stéphane

bouton reduction fenetre.afdesign

Hello,

Thank you for you answer. A ready image isn't really a good solution for me because of my need of zig zag is variable, sometimes I only need one side , sometimes two or three... sometimes the images sizes are small but for other they are bigger.

That's why I think a zig zag generator could be a better solution.

For my needs a draw manually a path with strait lines and zig zig as I need. I duplicate it and paste it to mask the image and for the copy I put under the image I apply a style with shadow. I hope a future release of AP could be able to script this action too but actually it's not really mater. This operation is very fast to do for me.

Regards

I understand that this is a feature request (to allow paths to be distorted by a macro or equation), and I can see how this might be fun/useful/powerful, but for your specific case I can see a number of relatively simple workarounds.

For example...

• Create a large rectangle with one side that is zigzagged.
  • [Make this an Asset so that you can reuse it in future projects.]
  • For any object where you want to have one or more zigzag edges, drag copies of the zigzag asset onto the object thumbnail (to make a mask layer) rotating one for each side that needs the effect.

post-43096-0-68815500-1481120318_thumb.png

ZigZag.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Hello

thank you for your answer.

but I my opinion it doesn't match really my need because of this points :

- All my zig zag pictures would have the same path (or nearly). I like the randomness I and the different sizes I get when drawing my own (or in dream with a specific function which does it directly in AD)

- Your corner isn't really beautiful isn't it ?

Regards

• Staff

As has been suggested - you could achieve this by creating a set of vector objects that you can use to mask your image.  Creating a zig-zag is as easy as creating a box, adding a load of points along the edge with the Node tool, selecting every other node and moving them.  The randomness you can add manually to achieve what would be aesthetically pleasing.

Create a few masking objects like this, then just randomly pick one when you want to mask an image if you don't want them all looking the same.

I can't see that a random zig-zag tool is going to be very high on our priority list.  Your example is quite specific, and can be achieved with existing tools.  Also, "randomness" is very subjective, so creating a tool that achieves what we would perceive as natural and pleasing randomness is actually quite difficult.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

While not a solution inside AD or AF, screen shot applications sometimes have such effects as below. It's quickly done in the screen shot application I use (Greenshot).

attachicon.gifcapture-000514.png

Likewise in FastStone Capture, which is the screenshot application that I use. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a screenshot app for the Mac that does something similar.

post-8358-0-64594700-1481137404_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can't see that a random zig-zag tool is going to be very high on our priority list.  Your example is quite specific, and can be achieved with existing tools.  Also, "randomness" is very subjective, so creating a tool that achieves what we would perceive as natural and pleasing randomness is actually quite difficult.

Pseudo-random roughening of curves would actually be quite useful generally, and if we had that then the the OP could easily achieve the effect he describes.

Discussed here: Roughen curves

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Karim,

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'm intending to put in a roughen tool that can be 'rubbed over' an area to roughen it (and likewise a smoothing tool to do the opposite) because I don't like the bold 'roughen the whole path' approach as I never find it makes the right results. Hope this will be okay?

Thanks,

Matt

Pseudo-random roughening of curves would actually be quite useful generally, and if we had that then the the OP could easily achieve the effect he describes.

Discussed here: Roughen curves

It would certainly make illustrations easier.  MattP has already said on another thread that he plans to add a roughening tool that can be "rubbed over" an area, which sounds quite versatile:

Hi Karim,

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'm intending to put in a roughen tool that can be 'rubbed over' an area to roughen it (and likewise a smoothing tool to do the opposite) because I don't like the bold 'roughen the whole path' approach as I never find it makes the right results. Hope this will be okay?

Thanks,

Matt

As discussed in the post that Alfred mentioned, it's actually a very simple algorithm called "midpoint displacement."  I've looked at many requests on the forum, and it seems many people are struggling without it, and MattP did express intent to implement such a tool.  I do understand, however, that there are many other features that need your attention far more quickly, which is to be expected so early as this in an application's development.

Note: The various quotes were a bit tricky to add to this post, and so eventually I gave up trying to make them look right and just left it as is; please excuse the sloppy nature of this comment.