LaurentGl

copy paste to powerpoint not working any more

15 posts in this topic

Hi, 

Since the last update, I can't manage to copy a drawing from Affinity and paste it to powerpoint. It copies the code instead.

Workaround is to export the drawing as .PNG .JPG but that's a rather cumbersome process.

Thanks for fixing this.

Best

Laurent

Actually there is also another workaround that is to copy from Affinity and open it in Preview and from there to Powerpoint. 

Not really convenient but working until our friends at Affinity fix this one.

The best workaround is to just Edit-> 'Paste Special' in Powerpoint and choose Picture or PDF.

Yes it works  :)

Thanks a lot.

Don't know why it does not do it straightaway as in the previous version.

Anyway, thanks for the help there.

@Tony : this is for all MS Office 2011 apps. Seems to work fine with iWork. 

You could argue it's an Office problem, yet that problem hasn't occurred in the previous versions of Affinity.

Were you also able to replicate the problem from your side ? 

We now offer SVG on the clipboard and Office seems to think this is a just text. We will have a look at how we can form the data to stop Office getting it wrong.

Also noticed that when you copy from Illustrator into Office, you also get the text just like from Affinity.

Any news on this one ? Tried the newest beta and the problem still occurs...

I know it also happens in Illustrator but it is not a reference to me.

Does not happen with Sketch nor iDraw. Thanks

It's caused because we offer SVG on the clipboard and Powerpoint interprets this incorrectly. We would need an option like Illustrator that enables you to switch off the SVG support.

iDraw does it well although it does not look as sophisticated as AD and I rather like using AD.

Copy/paste from iDraw to Affinity : No problem the vector format is kept and you can manipulate each part of the object.

Copy/paste from iDraw to Powerpoint : convert vector into .png. Transparency is kept.

Copy/paste from Affinity to iDraw : seems to convert it into a .png like format. No more vector.

Copy/paste from Affinity to Powerpoint : Just the code is copied. Should you do this with a large file or an image, this will cause powerpoint to crash as too many data seem to overwhelm it...

The workaround is to do a Copy/paste special and then select image or PNG image in PPT 2016.

Rather annoying as one mistake while quickly designing a presentation can cause a crash, regardless of a slower process.

Would be great to get AD working like iDraw on this matter. My job includes many PPT presentation designs and solving this issue would be a great relief. Please keep me posted.

iDraw doesn't offer SVG on the clipboard so Powerpoint doesn't show the issue in that case, The only way to resolve this is to make it an option to include SVG on the clipboard. We will add this in a future build.

I've found a tip that may be convenient for those who are making powerpoint presentations with SVG drawings.

As you may know, powerpoint does not support SVG native file.

What you can do though is to convert SVG to EMF format through online free converters and then insert it to a Windows version of Powerpoint (also works with Parallel Desktop virtualized session). Once you have it on the slide, you must "Ungroup" them and Powerpoint will ask you whether you want to convert them into editable drawings for which you can say YES. And you're done.

Should you have many icons you can export / convert / place  them all in once. Once they are ungrouped they can be handled individually.

Unfortunately, this feature only works with Windows Powerpoint and not Powerpoint 2011 neither the beta of Powerpoint 2016.

It may also work with OpenOffice.

With the latest Powerpoint release, it seems that now you can directly copy from AD to Ppt without getting through the paste as... step. Good improvement.

Yet, the picture won't be editable inside powerpoint (like to change the color) as it will be recognized as a PNG type of file. Should you want to edit the picture inside Powerpoint, my tip published on March 23rd remains valid.