You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reaction to Affinity Designer

I've been using DrawPlus, in various incarnations, for many years and was looking forward to Affinity. There are certainly some good things and I can't claim to have become an expert, but I am also disappointed at the features which have disappeared - unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

So far, I'm missing the Blend, Envelope and 3D tools. Luckily, I still have DrawPlus: so I can access them there, but is there a way to transfer files from DrawPlus to Affinity, other than exporting as png and placing in Affinity? I can see that it's maybe unreasonable to expect DrawPlus to read Affinity files, but the other way round is a big miss.

Given time, I may find the pixel editing useful, but for the last 15 years or so I've been reasonably happy importing / exporting between DrawPlus and PhotoPlus!

The Corner tool may well prove handy.

When there was all the hype and publicity about the Affinity series, it would have been good if the loss of these facilities was mentioned at the same time!

So, at the moment the jury is still out!

Doug

• Staff

Hi Doug,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer is not a replacement nor an "upgraded" version of DrawPlus. It's a new software build from scratch that doesn't share any code with DrawPlus. Since it's still quite recent it doesn't have all the features you may find in other software - including DrawPlus - but we are improving it continuously. Give the dev teams some time and we will get there. 

DrawPlus (.dpp) files are a legacy format and won’t be supported directly in Affinity products since there's no feature parity and because some features in Designer were implemented in a different way. We recommend that you continue to use DrawPlus for the tasks that DrawPlus is best suited for, and that you use Affinity Designer for new projects that suit Designers features. If you need to transfer files between the two you can export DrawPlus projects as SVG or PDF - and Affinity will import those files although with some loss.