You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all

I have seen a number of discussions on this but am still slightly confused. I use External Editors and Photos and for JPEG the Save feature works just fine - play with the image which fires up straight from EE, Save, and then Save Changes again in EE and there is the new image in Photos - perfect.

However, I shoot RAW to create better final results and the second part of the process currently doesn't seem to work - Save takes me to Saving on Desktop or similar, and nothing changes in EE. I think that this is how it should be currently until the new version of Affinity comes out shortly - but wanted to double check that I am not missing something? I also see no way of saving the edited RAW as a JPEG in the Affinity app.

Many thanks in advance

Hi all

I have seen a number of discussions on this but am still slightly confused. I use External Editors and Photos and for JPEG the Save feature works just fine - play with the image which fires up straight from EE, Save, and then Save Changes again in EE and there is the new image in Photos - perfect.

However, I shoot RAW to create better final results and the second part of the process currently doesn't seem to work - Save takes me to Saving on Desktop or similar, and nothing changes in EE. I think that this is how it should be currently until the new version of Affinity comes out shortly - but wanted to double check that I am not missing something? I also see no way of saving the edited RAW as a JPEG in the Affinity app.

Many thanks in advance

So - no one able to answer this?

Welcome to the Affinity forums Paul

Once you have finished editing the RAW file and are ready to save as a JPEG file you will need to click File and Export, you will then be able to select the format you require.

There is a new feature that will be available in the 1.5 update to Affinity Photo that will allow you to open, edit and save back to your Apple photos App, this update will be available via the Mac App Store on its release.

Welcome to the Affinity forums Paul

Once you have finished editing the RAW file and are ready to save as a JPEG file you will need to click File and Export, you will then be able to select the format you require.

There is a new feature that will be available in the 1.5 update to Affinity Photo that will allow you to open, edit and save back to your Apple photos App, this update will be available via the Mac App Store on its release.

Thanks for the response - that is pretty much what I thought. To summarise (I have seen a number of threads on this so I wanted to try and clarify for my own peace of mind!) -

As things are today:

Access JPEG only inside Affinity from Photos using either View/Media Browser or File Open which also file changes to the JPEG back to Photos

Access JPEG or RAW using External Editors for Photos inside Photos - updated JPEG filed back to Photos through the EE app, updated RAW cannot be filed back to Photos, but can be saved and exported in a range of formats to desktop (for example) and then drag & dropped back to Photos

From V1.5

External Editors no longer needed as there will be an extension to Photos which calls up Affinity and allows edit of RAW or JPEG and then save back in RAW or JPEG to Photos

V1.5 also has native support for Canon EOS 80D RAW which currently has to use the Apple engine option in Affinity

Does that capture it?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Warmington Paul,

The Edit in Affinity Photo extension (in the upcoming 1.5 version) is only able to send the file back to Apple Photos as JPG's.

There's no way to send RAW's with edits since Affinity Photo doesn't support XMP sidecar files no matter the external program used.

Affinity Photo 1.5 supports Canon 80D RAW files no matter the engine chosen - Serif Labs or Apple (Core Image RAW).

Hi Warmington Paul,

The Edit in Affinity Photo extension (in the upcoming 1.5 version) is only able to send the file back to Apple Photos as JPG's.

There's no way to send RAW's with edits since Affinity Photo doesn't support XMP sidecar files no matter the external program used.

Affinity Photo 1.5 supports Canon 80D RAW files no matter the engine chosen - Serif Labs or Apple (Core Image RAW).

Thanks - I had wondered about that transfer back of updated RAW files. I reality, that is not too big an issue as the image you usually publish or share etc is the JPEG anyway, and the RAW is for "internal" use only. The positive in 1.5 (in addition to the much better editing tools than Photos offers) is the ability to get the improved JPEG from the RAW original easily and directly back to Photos - and the hope that it will be a better JPEG than the one Photos produces itself in the edit process! Currently I often edit RAW in Photos then export as JPEG to Desktop which produces a far superior image than the JPEG generated by Photos.

Hi Warmington Paul,

Do you mean that Apple Photos doesn't support XMP sidecars?