You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open path indicator

It is often difficult to tell if a path is open or closed when two endpoint nodes are close to each other & impossible if they have the same x/y coordinates. 

To help with this I would like to see some sort of open path indicator. One possibility is some notation in the Layers panel, either a color or icon difference or maybe something like "(Open curve)" or just "[Curve]" (with brackets instead of parentheses) in the text identifier.

Alternately or in addition to that, the end nodes could be different colors for open paths when the object is selected and/or some indicator in the Context toolbar included when an open path is selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

(Question: Which one of these is open and which one is closed?)

The blue one.  B)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to post a request for this when I came upon this thread.  As a stock illustrator, this is a MUST tool for submitting pro illustrations for stock since illustrations are rejected for open paths.  In a somewhat complex illustration, it would be a nightmare to pinpoint an open path as you would need to check every connection manually.

​I don't think this would be a difficult implementation and it would make a world of difference for us pros.

​I don't think this would be a difficult implementation and it would make a world of difference for us pros.

For us hobbyists too!  :)

Affinity Photo 

For us hobbyists too!  :)

Yes, for everyone, this is a very handy tool.

​This is one of the main features missing which exists in AI.  Actually, a better set of path utilities would be appreciated, like, open path finder, stray point finder, etc.