You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feedback, this time for the users, not the devs!

Hi there,

I've been following this forum for a little while now.

I've been excited about the announcement of Affinity Designer and now Affinity Photo.

I purchased Designer as soon as it became available, and I'll surely do the same with Photo.

Are there missing features and bugs? Of course, which software is bugs-free and so feature packed to fit everyone's needs?

Are there features I'd really love to see implemented sooner rather than later? Yes!

Would I love to see Publisher, a media browser, and Affinity Editing software and so on? Again, YES!! :)

All that said, I've noticed that there are quite a good amount of requests, comments and sometimes a few complaints about what we want to have/see/get done from Affinity or things we consider totally wrong and needs to be fixed right away.

It's all understandable. We are passionate about what we have got here: very affordable software with great potential.

For some of us, it means finally an option to ditch Adobe in favor of something as much solid and professional (if not more than Adobe in some regards). For others, it still means an affordable solution for personal works/fun.

I think though that understanding what the people on the other side (meaning Affinity's developers, moderators, and so on) have to deal with, is crucial, and actually, it is so for our own interest as users.

For instance, we can complain for weeks or longer about the feature X not being there yet. That translates into time needed for a moderator to reply and explaining what's going on (plus, let's search first, there are a lot of questions already answered several times).

Now, let's be clear and talk about numbers (this is what I can gather from public sources, sorry if I'm wrong):

Serif, 190 employees

Adobe, 14,154 employees (about 74.5 times more than Serif!)

Adobe, Revenue Increase US$4.795 billion, with a Net income of US$478 million

Where am I headed with this?

Simply, let them do their work. Of course, we post our ideas and proposal, I think it's Affinity's own interest to improve their products.

But let's just be more sympathetic about what can be done or what is not done yet.

I'm feeling positive about design applications again in years after I totally lost my loyalty in big corporation (Adobe, Autodesk..)

Don't get me wrong, I love this forum. I guess it is also unique in a way.

Just be patient. We already have access for little money to something tremendously powerful (compare those numbers above and compare it to the features you already have in Affinity vs Adobe!)

Sometimes we need to find workarounds, and the fact that we can find them (by ourselves or by asking on the forum) means that AP and AD they do offer alternatives, which is already a great success achieved considered the roadmap and what can still be added.

Sorry for the long post.

Best,

Andrew

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Well said.

I think the features already in Affinity, the general polish (for a first version), and at this price, are simply astounding.

The friendly helpful community is wonderful too - long may it continue.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Hi verysame,

I absolutely agree with you. I myself had protested that AD (for Windows) was sold "incomplete" and I wanted to wait for the addition of the tools that seemed important to me before considering the purchase.

And then I reflected and changed my opinion: AD as it currently has already some very interesting functions and will improve in the future, and I wanted to support a company that makes available to all quality products at more than reasonable prices.

So I bought AD a week ago and I do not regret it even if for the moment I do not use it too much (always the lack of tools), but there is always the possibility of creating a shape and edit it with the node tool, export it to .pdf and use it in DrawPlus X8.

I also had a good surprise: AD now opens faster than the Beta versions.

Cordially.

PS: Sorry for my English, translation by Google ...

Well said.

I think the features already in Affinity, the general polish (for a first version), and at this price, are simply astounding.

The friendly helpful community is wonderful too - long may it continue.

Agree Aammppaa,

The community here is awesome!

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch