You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could add additional space around your image, as one of the possibilities for "something" :)

But you're right, if the native aspect ratio of the image does not match the aspect ratio you want to print, then you need to modify it.

Considering cropping, you can:

1. Select the Crop Tool.
  2. In the Context Toolbar, specify Mode: Resample, Units: Inches, DPI: 300
  3. For the size (between the Mode and the Units in the Context Toolbar) specify either 8 x 10 or 10 x 8, depending on whether the image is portrait or landscape.

Then drag the crop handles or slide the crop box around to compose the image you want. Press Apply. You now have an 8x10 (or 10x8) image at 300 dpi.

Thank you! I am going to try to add space in a tasteful way and see how many of my images I can use for that project. I tried cropping by ratio and now I do understand it better. Thanks again!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello,   so a headbanging time - I do not understand how Affinity  deals with the size of a picture and there multiple unhelpful terms that are used 

Surely, an image must sit on a canvas or document which can be bigger than the image.   All I want to do is drop my image that has been cropped to a 16:9 ratio onto a 9x6 'canvas' at 300dpi to be printed on that size paper- . I may also want to put onto a 12x8 or any other size paper as necessary.     I don't think I can do it.  A shame because an old clockwork version of Photoshop Elements just does it, no messing.

cheers  Richard

35 minutes ago, Richard Matthews said:

Surely, an image must sit on a canvas or document which can be bigger than the image.   All I want to do is drop my image that has been cropped to a 16:9 ratio onto a 9x6 'canvas' at 300dpi to be printed on that size paper- . I may also want to put onto a 12x8 or any other size paper as necessary. I don't think I can do it.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Richard Matthews.

Sure you can.

Method 1: With this method, since 16:9 is a different ratio than 9:6, you will have white space along some edge or edges of the paper when you're done. That is unavoidable if you want a 16:9 image on a 9:6 canvas.

1. Crop your image to the 16:9 ratio that you want.
  2. Create a document that is 9 inches by 6 inches.
  3. File > Place and select your cropped image in the File Explorer or Finder window. Select Open or whatever finishes that dialog.
  4. When you get the "Place Image" cursor, press the Shift key, put the pointer in the upper left corner of your canvas, and drag out the image to the largest size that will fit.

After 4 you will have white space somewhere, because 16:9 is not the same ratio as 9:6. You can select the Move Tool and slide the placed image one direction or the other to put the white space where you want it.

Method 2: If you don't want the white space, you will have to crop your image differently. Select your original image (or the cropped one) and:

1. Select the Crop Tool.
  2. In the Context Toolbar, choose: Mode: Resample and Units: Inches and DPI: 300 and then put 9 in x 6 in as the size (between the Mode and Units boxes).
  3. You will get a crop frame that is the 9:6 ratio. You may drag any corner to make the frame larger or smaller, but it will maintain that ratio. You may put the cursor inside the frame and move the frame around to compose your image.
  4. When you have the image composition you want, press Apply.

After 4 you will have a 9in x 6in image at 300 DPI that contains as much of the original image as you can have at the 9:6 aspect ratio.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Richard. :)

28 minutes ago, Richard Matthews said:

All I want to do is drop my image that has been cropped to a 16:9 ratio onto a 9x6 'canvas'

A 16:9 image is almost twice as wide as it is high, but the width of a 9 × 6 canvas is only 1½ times its height. How are you going to address that mismatch?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for the welcome, and for the attention to my problem

Thanks Walt, that does the job - in fact creating a new file is probably a good idea as I've had to remember a 'Save As' to a new file in the process as I want to keep my large image size files for future use in whatever size.    

I'd have an image of 8 x 4.5 in on the 9 x 6 in canvas/paper. There is white space on the paper and that  space around the image means there's a bit to go behind the cut mount so that it can be securely taped for framing

cheers Richard

You're welcome, Richard.

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 months later...

I’m importing a converted color slide file saved at a high resolution from Plustek hardware. How do I make that slide usable for printing a 5x7 or 8x10 copy keeping at least 300dpi using Affinity Photo. When I enlarge the size of the slide in Affinity, the pixelation is exceedingly grainy.  At a loss.

1 hour ago, Parchy said:

I’m importing a converted color slide file saved at a high resolution from Plustek hardware. How do I make that slide usable for printing a 5x7 or 8x10 copy keeping at least 300dpi using Affinity Photo. When I enlarge the size of the slide in Affinity, the pixelation is exceedingly grainy.  At a loss.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

"High resolution" doesn't give us much information to work with. What pixel dimensions did your scanner give you to work with?

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, Parchy said:

If you use Document > Resize Document, you can change the dpi without changing the pixel count by unticking the Resample box.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630