You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello MEB

I am Using Affinity Photo windows pc

I have watch the video on resizing and canvas resize,, I guess I must be dumb.

I do not understand why there is two ways to resize, resize image and resize canvas. All I want to do is resize my photo smaller so the file is not so big. Following the video is really very frustrating. Can you tell me how to do a simple photo resizing??

Using the way it says in the video has a lot of steps to go thru. I do a lot of photo work and resizing is done a lot in my work.

I hope MEB can help on this

• Staff

Hello MEB

I am Using Affinity Photo windows pc

I have watch the video on resizing and canvas resize,, I guess I must be dumb.

I do not understand why there is two ways to resize, resize image and resize canvas. All I want to do is resize my photo smaller so the file is not so big. Following the video is really very frustrating. Can you tell me how to do a simple photo resizing??

Using the way it says in the video has a lot of steps to go thru. I do a lot of photo work and resizing is done a lot in my work.

I hope MEB can help on this

Hi wumpabill, if your goal is to reduce the resolution of your image then just use Resize Document and enter a new resolution into the Size box. Resize Canvas is for resizing the "work area" of your document and you needn't worry about it in this case. Hope that helps.

The image/canvas resize video is perhaps a bit too involved and could benefit from scaling back the detail a little, I'll put it on the list!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Hi wumpabill,

Resize image (menu Document ▸ Resize Document... )will resize the whole document (the canvas area + all layers will be resized).

Resize Canvas as the name implies (menu Document ▸ Resize Canvas...) , only resizes the canvas area, that is, the white (or transparent if you set it to transparent) area where the layers sit above when you start a new document. Although the canvas area is not "visible" when you open an image, it is still there below it. You can check this if you change to the Move Tool select the image in the layers panel (make sure it's not locked) and drag one of the corners - you will see the canvas area (transparent - represented by a checkerboard) behind it. You may want to use this to add more space around an image to add more elements/images to create a composition for example.

If you want to resize the whole image to make it smaller (or bigger) use the File ▸ Resize Document command. Just insert the dimensions you want and press the Resize button.

Thank you James Ritson and MEB this helps a lot . I will do it as you all say, I thought the canvas was like you say, it is better to use resize the document for resizing the photo

James Ritson,, I agree the resize/resize canvas Video, is a bit confusing , to much talk in the video thanks for helping on this

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, beertje53 said:

If in document resize use to bring the Dpi to 300, save this photo. When I open it again I have 72Dpi instead of 300Dpi right again I have saved it away.

Where am I doing something wrong??

Did you watch this video ?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

• 2 weeks later...

From watching the videos, I concluded that you can retain photo quality by using File|Place instead of Document Resize.  Is that correct?  for example: Using Resize to shrink a 6000 x4800 pixel image  to 3000 x2400 pixels gives the same result as using File|Place to place the large image into the target  and using the move handles to shrink  the image.   What about the Resize Document's resample method? 

This might be important in choosing  print job   workflow.

• Staff
On 3/3/2018 at 10:31 PM, beertje53 said:

If in document resize use to bring the Dpi to 300, save this photo. When I open it again I have 72Dpi instead of 300Dpi right again I have saved it away.

Where am I doing something wrong??

Hi beertje53,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is due to a known bug when saving files with DPI set by the user. To work around this, click the More button in the Export dialog and untick Embed Metadata and the file should keep the DPI you specified.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, David Arm said:

Is there a simple solution to resize an image from 424px x 454px to 300px to 320px.

Just seems to change the resolution and not the image hight and width?

Thanks, in the meantime, I'm having to use Pixler for speed.

Assuming you're in Affinity Photo, Document > Resize Document will let you change the height and width, as long as you have Resample checked. Alternatively, with the Move tool selected, you could use the Transform studio and change the height and width there. You may want to lock the aspect ratio to avoid distortion.

By the way, if you do resize from 424px x 454px to 300px to 320px you will have a small amount of distortion. To maintain the same aspect ratio you would resize to 300px x 321.2 px.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, Fixx said:

That scales only active objects, not document (image).

Good point, thanks. It would be a bit more complex with the Transform studio. For a simple image (one layer, background) one would have to unlock the layer, then Transform, then Document > Clip Canvas.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, PetrM said:

Hi, is it possible to automate it? I need to resize 20 images.. 

Thank you

For using Photo: If you have the images already take a look at File > New Batch Job...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This is the single thing that is so hard to figure out with Affinity Designer. I can't for the life of me find Document or resize or anything. When I transform it it doesen't expand the artboard.

It took me a half hour one time a month ago to figure it out and now I'm here again a half hour later after looking at every possible menu item, video, etc. It's all for Affinity Photo there is no good support for Affinity Designer. Very frusterating, given I've been using Photoshop since the early 00's.

Please, for the love of UX, make it easier!!

6 hours ago, VinnieT said:

It's all for Affinity Photo there is no good support for Affinity Designer.

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/desktop/

https://affinity.help (Click on the blue Designer logo)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, VinnieT said:

I can't for the life of me find Document or resize or anything. When I transform it it doesen't expand the artboard.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

File > Document Setup will let you resize a document in Designer, but the size of the document is not relevant once you have Artboards, because each Artboard is in essence its own design area with its own size. So once you have an Artboard, you can't use that approach (and Designer won't let you try).

To resize an Artboard you can use the Transform panel. Pick the Move Tool, select the Artboard in the Layers panel, and then adjust the width/height in the Transform panel as you want.

Or, you can drag any of the corner or side nodes with the Move Tool and adjust its size directly in the workspace.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you very much @walt.farrell

Document setup my mind is mostly there for print in other programs (and is next to print and uses the same shortcut just with a shift key added).

So I glazed over it 100 times not thinking of it. IMO there should be a resize image option under a menu or something, seperate.

You're welcome, Vinnie.

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 months later...

Please help with info on  resizing photos for print.  I need to submit 8 x 10 photos for print. I resized my photos by resizing the document to 8 x 10 inches with dpi set to 300 checked resample and chose bilinear.  I submitted my photos to a lab and and they were unable to print 8 x 10 photos without cropping and loss of important details. What did do wrong?  I read forum entries. I read my Affinity workbook and checked the online manual. I can't find anyplace to get this info. Any help?

2 hours ago, FluteDaddy said:

Please help with info on  resizing photos for print.  I need to submit 8 x 10 photos for print. I resized my photos by resizing the document to 8 x 10 inches with dpi set to 300 checked resample and chose bilinear.  I submitted my photos to a lab and and they were unable to print 8 x 10 photos without cropping and loss of important details. What did do wrong?  I read forum entries. I read my Affinity workbook and checked the online manual. I can't find anyplace to get this info. Any help?

Can you share a sample image with us, resized and saved just as you did for sending to the lab? That might be better than us guessing what might be wrong. Probably best if you attach it as a .zip file, to ensure the forum software leaves it alone.

-- Walt
PC:

Thank you for your kind response. I think I posed the wrong questions. I simply do not understand cropping and resizing. My photos come from my camera in a 4:3 ratio. If I only need an unframed print I can order a 16 x 24 and that works. Today I was asked to send photos for printing 8 x 10 inches @ 300 DPI. I recognize that is a different ratio,  but then I am stuck.  I thought from my reading that  I could simply type in the new values in "Document"  "Resize Document." But that didn't work.  I tried cropping but then I either have to lose some of my image or add something to it. Like a blissful idiot I have produced an inventory of desirable photo art but i'm afraid I may not be able to get it printed or matted and framed.   The lab offers tools and help for Photoshop only. Can you point me to a reading or video source or even a coach or tutor where I can learn? Thanks for your help!

2 minutes ago, FluteDaddy said:

I tried cropping but then I either have to lose some of my image or add something to it.

You could add additional space around your image, as one of the possibilities for "something" :)

But you're right, if the native aspect ratio of the image does not match the aspect ratio you want to print, then you need to modify it.

Considering cropping, you can:

1. Select the Crop Tool.
  2. In the Context Toolbar, specify Mode: Resample, Units: Inches, DPI: 300
  3. For the size (between the Mode and the Units in the Context Toolbar) specify either 8 x 10 or 10 x 8, depending on whether the image is portrait or landscape.

Then drag the crop handles or slide the crop box around to compose the image you want. Press Apply. You now have an 8x10 (or 10x8) image at 300 dpi.

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, FluteDaddy said:

... Today I was asked to send photos for printing 8 x 10 inches @ 300 DPI. I recognize that is a different ratio,  but then I am stuck.  I thought from my reading that  I could simply type in the new values in "Document"  "Resize Document." But that didn't work.  I tried cropping but then I either have to lose some of my image or add something to it. ...

The following might help a little bit for getting some general insights about print sizes and aspect ratios ...

APhoto's online help will tell you in short terms what certain functions do and the possible settings ...

There are also a bunch of APh video tutorials (see here) which do show certain usage aspects ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

The following might help a little bit for getting some general insights about print sizes and aspect ratios ...

APhoto's online help will tell you in short terms what certain functions do and the possible settings ...

There are also a bunch of APh video tutorials (see here) which do show certain usage aspects ...

Very helpful! Thank you!!