You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Manipulate Text in Affinity Designer

Hi Just bought Affinity Designer 1.12 as it was billed as the alternative to Adobe Illustrator. I used to use Corel Draw but after upgrading to latest Mac OS X I am unable to use it.. Very disappointed to learn that I can't manipulate text. what I want to do is fit text to paths, and break text apart, but I am unable to do it. If I attempt to open a document that has Manipulated text then it doesn't display that text. So what am I to do?

• 10 months later...

I downloaded a free trial of Photo and Designer. I like the Mac-focus and the pricepoint. But I'm concerned about functionality. 

As of November 2014, there was a plan to permit manipulation of text. And I don't find this feature in my current version. How soon are we talking about here? 

If I can't manipulate text and I can't convert imported images to vector, I'm not sure what I can use these programs for. 

• Staff

Hi Large23220,

To create text on a path selecting a shape, change to the Artistic Text Tool and mouse-over the path. The cursor should change to a "T" with a wave line below. Click and start typing. Alternatively you can select a shape go to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Text Path and start typing.

Additionally you can also use a shape as a text frame. To do it select the shape, change to the Frame Text Tool, click inside the shape and start typing (or go to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Text Frame). To convert text to curves, select it with the Move Tool and click on Convert to Curves button on the context toolbar.