You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello.

Do you plan to add DXF and/or DWG export option? I need it for exporting logos to AutoCAD drawings as curves. Older AutoCADs (and probably some other CAD software) cannot import SVG, PDF etc. I exported as DXF from Corel years and years ago :).

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, querious said:

Me too for DXF import/export!!!!!!

Please!

From the Wikipedia article for AutoCAD DXF:

As AutoCAD has become more powerful, supporting more complex object types, DXF has become less useful. Certain object types, including ACIS solids and regions, are not documented. Other object types, including AutoCAD 2006's dynamic blocks, and all of the objects specific to the vertical market versions of AutoCAD, are partially documented, but not well enough to allow other developers to support them. For these reasons many CAD applications use the DWG format which can be licensed from Autodesk or non-natively from the Open Design Alliance.

DXF coordinates are always without dimensions so that the reader or user needs to know the drawing unit or has to extract it from the textual comments in the sheets.

So basically, it is the same old story: the documentation is incomplete, there are various incompatible licensing issues that have to be sorted out, & even if these issues could somehow be resolved to the satisfaction of all involved there is still no guarantee the import or export process would work as seamlessly as users would expect.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

50 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Nah. DXF is useful and documented.

So you are saying the Wikipedia article is wrong, that for example ACIS solids and regions are documented?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

So you are saying the Wikipedia article is wrong, that for example ACIS solids and regions are documented?

No. That's not what I am saying. DXF, plain ol' DXF required for cutting, CNC, etc, is relatively simple. Or "dumb," if you prefer. It isn't solid modeling.

Most of the threads here (maybe all of them for what I have gathered) concerning DXF are mostly about just getting the data in an exchange format for either some sort of cutting system or to further take those into something for 3D modeling/rendering (like using lathe operations, etc.) as the basis for modeling using the primitives. Not as a true 3D export source for an exchange with a modeler and be all ready to go to rendering.

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

DXF, plain ol' DXF required for cutting, CNC, etc, is relatively simple. Or "dumb," if you prefer.

Even for "dumb" DXF, perhaps it is not really all that simple, at least regarding importing? From AutoCAD DXF File Format Summary, there is this:

DXF also allows a perplexing number of ways of doing nearly the same thing, such as describing objects as separate editable groups. One program might place the objects on different layers of the drawing, while another might use different pen colors, while a third might use named "blocks" to group the data.

Although DXF is widely used for the exchange of simple line data, an application designer wishing to support DXF must consider that AutoCAD can store these many types of data in different ways.

Sometimes the correct interpretation of a DXF file can be very difficult. The intended appearance of lines and regions can be dependent on many seemingly obscure settings in the header of the DXF file. Because DXF files are so difficult to faithfully interpret, many application designers decide to only export DXF.

Even among programs that claim to import DXF, you may find they only support a subset of everything that is possible in DXF. If you hope to create your own DXF files in order to transfer data into a program that claims to import DXF, be sure you know which representations it understands.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R, no worries over looking for sources that appear to you that support your stance. A little over a year ago (in this thread) Serif mentions they are at least looking at supporting both DXF & DWG. They're smart people. They'll handle it.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

R C-R, no worries over looking for sources that appear to you that support your stance. A little over a year ago (in this thread) Serif mentions they are at least looking at supporting both DXF & DWG. They're smart people. They'll handle it.

They mentioned they are interested in supporting exporting to DXF & DWG but not when or to what extent.

As for sources, it is very hard to find any authoritative ones that dispute that getting DXF import or export right is a difficult, time consuming task.

Affinity Photo 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 2:30 PM, R C-R said:

They mentioned they are interested in supporting exporting to DXF & DWG but not when or to what extent.

As for sources, it is very hard to find any authoritative ones that dispute that getting DXF import or export right is a difficult, time consuming task.

DXF certainly works well and is the definitive standard used by millions of vinyl cutters, lasers and CNCs daily - ask them! ...and it works for me too. All we now need is to get DXF support in Affinity Designer to make it even greater!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...