You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Red and blue dots

Hi there,

After opening several raw files I found a problem with red and blue dots in Affinity Photo.

The files where I found this dots are taken at iso 200 and different lenses.

I'm photographing art, the first thought this must be in the painting.

Opening the same files in Lightroom, Photoshop and bridge didn't show me the same dots.

After exporting the same dots are in the jpeg files.

What are these dots?

Where do the came from?

Am I the only onewho's facing this problem?

Thanks in advantage.

post-44596-0-55446000-1480917262_thumb.jpgpost-44596-0-50294800-1480917278_thumb.jpg

That's no option, I get the warning the file is to big ( 194 mb)

Try zipping it or, more likely to be needed, upload it to a file-sharing site (Dropbox or similar) and provide here a link to it.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

Hi PhotoDante,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

These are called Hot Pixels and usually appear when the sensor becomes hot during operation or when using a high ISO (this is usually a temporary issue) or Stuck Pixels when some or all RGB components that compose a pixel become stuck at their maximum value (camera sensor - those may or may not disappear over time ). This is not directly related with Affinity Photo itself.

If you do a Google search for these terms you should find plenty of info about those issues.

• Staff

Adobe prouducts have some automatic dead pixel removal feature which Photo does not. If your camera has 'Dark Frame nose reduction' then that would help remove these pixels too at the expense of exposure time. Which camera is it ?

Adobe prouducts have some automatic dead pixel removal feature which Photo does not. If your camera has 'Dark Frame nose reduction' then that would help remove these pixels too at the expense of exposure time. Which camera is it ?

Thanks guys for all the time and efforts you spend in the forum :)  hands down.

My camera is a Canon 6D.

I didn't think about the hotpixels.

• Staff

Thanks guys for all the time and efforts you spend in the forum :)  hands down.

My camera is a Canon 6D.

I didn't think about the hotpixels.

Not to worry, this will come up a lot I feel. 

Affinity Photo chooses to show the user all the data, but they are so used to some default noise reduction and hot pixel filtering (as in other applications) that they say we have bugs in our algorithm, where normally we can show the data is noisy or has dead pixels in the raw file.

I believe there is even a tutorial on noise reduction in Affinity Photo RAW studio to explain our current approach.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Not to worry, this will come up a lot I feel. 

Affinity Photo chooses to show the user all the data, but they are so used to some default noise reduction and hot pixel filtering (as in other applications) that they say we have bugs in our algorithm, where normally we can show the data is noisy or has dead pixels in the raw file.

I believe there is even a tutorial on noise reduction in Affinity Photo RAW studio to explain our current approach.

Thanks Patrick,

I chose Affinity and am so aware that things will be different as in the Adobe products.

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2016 at 9:50 AM, Mark Ingram said:

we are looking at implementing an automatic hot pixel fixer in an upcoming release.

Is there any update on if / when hot-pixel repair will be available?  Thanks.

• jgv

good afternoon
If the camera is a canon, that is, the procedure for treating the broken pixels.
https://world-image.ru/kak-ubrat-bitie-pixeli-na-fotoapparate/ - here it is described how to get rid of them. In Russian. You can use an interpreter who is convenient for you. I was so clever removed the broken pixels on the 40D 50D 6D.
I hope you will also help.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.