You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Similar to this thread:  https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/29370-australian-discount-not-20-off-rrp-any-reason-why/?hl=pricing

I went to buy Designer at the last minute of the discounted offer, but the price indicated (in Australian dollars) was much higher than it should have been.  

I assumed that I missed the sale price and so there was no reason to rush a purchase.  After considering it a few more days I decided to take the plunge anyway, and ...  Guys, what the hell?  It's even more expensive now!?

$79 AUD is $13 more than a direct dollar conversion.  I thought I missed out on the discount, but this is just gouging Australian customers.  I can't change the region to buy it somewhere else, and look, seriously, I'm very unhappy.  I'm upset because this price gouging rubbish made me miss the discounted offer, I missed out on the extra content, and I'm upset because this wasn't made more clear, and that there's this gouging going on at all.

I want to give you my money.  Is there anything we can do?  

As explained in that thread, Affinity app prices are set in US dollars and the conversion rates are determined by Apple's pricing matrix. I can understand why you're unhappy (I would be, too!) but I think you have to take this up with Apple rather than Serif.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There's no mention of Apple in the store, and it's Affinity's decision to use the Apple store to sell to Windows and Australian users.  I've been an Apple user and I am no longer, for several reasons.  Barking up that tree is not what I'd consider a reasonable spend of my time.

And this is why I bring the issue to the attention of the people I want to support with my hard earned money.  Hopefully it influences their decision making in the future.

• 1 month later...

Agreed; this is pretty disappointing.

Even though it's still a fair price compared to competitors, its frustrating to always get over charged simply because we're in Australia... 

At one point it was cheaper to fly to the United States, buy Creative Suite and fly back than to buy it locally...

Just something to consider but it is usual for large corporations like Adobe, Apple, & Microsoft to base international prices not only on the currency exchange rate but also to factor in the cost of doing business in each country. Typically, this will include the costs of complying with local record keeping requirements & consumer protection laws, & any other costs that are incurred if the company has a physical presence in that country, particularly regarding employees (minimum wage, mandatory benefits, etc.) & operating costs (commercial property rental rates & real estate purchase prices, complying with environmental regulations, goods & services, insurance, & so on).

It is also usual to amortize these costs over sales, which means countries with fewer buyers incur these costs at a proportionally higher rate.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It is also usual to amortize these costs over sales, which means countries with fewer buyers incur these costs at a proportionally higher rate.

That may be so, but I don't think the UK is one of those countries! Prior to last week's changes to the price matrix, a Tier 50 app such as Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo was 49.99 USD / 49,99 EUR / 39.99 GBP. The price in EUR (which doesn't vary according to how many buyers there are in each Eurozone country) hasn't changed, but the price in GBP has shot up.

At the time of writing, XE.com tells me that 49.99 USD is 39.60 GBP (i.e. very close to the price on the old pricing matrix). It also tells me that 49.99 USD is 46,34 EUR, and that 49,99 EUR is 42.72 GBP (i.e. considerably less than the 48.99 GBP that UK customers are currently being asked to pay).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't think the U.K. is one of those countries either, but the other considerations still apply for Apple, Adobe, etc. & for any other company's products that are based on those pricing models.

I am no expert on international business costs but I imagine BREXIT has increased the costs of doing business for Serif & most other U.K. based companies. If nothing else, as the Pound falls, the cost of any goods or services they use that are based on the Euro, dollar, or whatever will rise.

Anyway, regardless of that, all I am trying to point out is that currency exchange rates are only part of what determine product prices around the world.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7