You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong colour profile

My monitor profile is sRGB and the monitor is calibrated (at least it was when I bought it). I'm not using colour profiles and work in sRGB only. I had this issue with Lightroom when I first installed Windows 10 because it automatically selected a profile for my monitor. But I deselected it and now Lightroom shows correct colours again. Affinity Photo doesn't.

When you go to Colour Management in Windows, what profiles do you have associated with your monitor device, and what is the default device profile? Can you attach screenshots? Have you compared the images in Photo and Lightroom? As your original post only mentioned IrfanView.

Windows colour management:

post-32679-0-20627200-1480888939_thumb.png

Another RAW image,

top left: developed in Affinity Photo, exported as JPG

top right: that JPG in Photoshop CS6

bottom left: that JPG in Firefox

bottom right: that JPG in IrfanView

post-32679-0-72872600-1480888947_thumb.jpg

Opening that JPG in Affinity Photo again makes the red pale again, so Affinity Photo always seems to show colours wrong. The second screenshot was thus saved using Photoshop.

I have actually experienced this incorrect color phenomenon, but before we can fix it, we have to fix your Windows color management. Currently, you do not have the ICC profile for your monitor associated with the monitor viewing conditions. 

Open Windows Color Management. In the lower left corner of the Windows CM window, click on "add". Then scroll to the ICC profile specified for your monitor. If you are using the manufacturer's ICC profile, it will be listed as "monitor name, white point, ..."  Select the ICC profile. Click "OK" and "Set as Default".

Redo your tests as see if you get the same results.

This problem can be a real riddle to sort out.

Sorry, I won't do that. Windows did it automatically and it's wrong. The profile for my monitor isn't what my monitor is actually showing. Maybe it would be right if I hadn't put my monitor into its sRGB mode but rather its default mode, but then all unmanaged applications would show strange colours. So I keep it simple and consistent, set my monitor alone as close to sRGB as it gets, and don't let any program display something else.

The problem isn't as much what I see, it's how Affinity is different from all other applications, as you can see in the single screenshot of multiple windows. This needs to be fixed.

While I was there, I selected the "generic sRGB" profile for my monitor, which shouldn't do any harm. This makes Affinity show real colours in fact, the same as Ps and IrfanView. So maybe Affinity should assume sRGB (i. e. not change any colours) if there's no profile selected for the monitor?

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread, there is clearly something wrong with the profiles in Affinity.

Firstly, I have tried changing my monitor's ICC profile from it's default to sRGB IEC61966-21, neither setting changes the colour rendition in Affinity or Adobe.

Firefox, Edge, windows photo and Photoshop all display the image exactly the same. Affinity Photo and Designer both display a more washed out/desaturated version.

I was hoping to use AP or AD today for the resizing since Photoshop kept crashing on me.

Affinity Photo changes the PDF (of unassigned profile) to CMYK without me asking it to or giving me an option to convert to sRGB.

Is there anything else I could try?

post-44316-0-07677300-1484743372_thumb.jpg

post-44316-0-91406000-1484743372_thumb.jpg

post-44316-0-94961300-1484743373_thumb.jpg

Hi Reverthex

I don't have an answer but I'm curious, of the three images you posted the most 'pleasing' to me is the first one. How was that one processed?

Fwiw I use my (external) printer's ICC on all my images and monitor calibration hardware. I've not seen any difference between previous PSD files and AP files. Perhaps I have lower required standards but if I was getting the kind of colour shifts your showing I'm sure I'd have noticed!

Regards

Hi harryn,

Those images are all the exact same PDF file that was supplied to me by a client, I don't know what software they used but the Photoshop sRGB image is what the client had previously printed and it needed to match.

What's worse is that it only colour shifts certain parts of the image too, like the water.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't experienced it with a recent project (colors did look identical), but I can say I am worried about this issue. Color accuracy is critical...

My monitor is hardware calibrated (i1 Display Pro. I calibrate it often), but with a sRGB profile. It's a SpectraView 231, and my printed work does look great, accurate (when the print company is good) , and color is consistent across several applications. But... I am very afraid of using some tool in the chain that might be not accurate with color, as everything could go wrong there...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.