You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. Most of my clients need an EPS vector format but it seems Affinity can't fully export this in vector. It needs to rasterize simple features such as translucent gradients. Any way I can get a vector EPS working? I tried setting the export as rasterize 'nothing' but then it screws the transparency and lines.

EDIT: I noticed Illustrator seems to use a native EPS format so let's put it another way. I used to copy paste vector shapes from one software to another like Illustrator> photoshop and keep the transparency. But AD pastes an EPS version (which doesn't support transparency). My only workaround is exporting SVG and then import into PS or something similar.

The only real problem now is having to deliver Illustrator svg edit compatible files. AFAIK .svg does not export CMYK profiles.

Core i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz    |     8GB Hyperx Memory      |      Radeon R9 270X     |    Samsung 120 SSD

I'm afraid EPS does not support transparency so it has to be rasterised. I'd recommend you use PDF instead.

When Illustrator exports EPS, it embeds a copy of the Illustrator file, and then uses that when it opens the file, thus preserving the transparency. That Illustrator data is closed proprietary, and we can't read it or produce it.

I'm afraid EPS does not support transparency so it has to be rasterised. I'd recommend you use PDF instead.

When Illustrator exports EPS, it embeds a copy of the Illustrator file, and then uses that when it opens the file, thus preserving the transparency. That Illustrator data is closed proprietary, and we can't read it or produce it.

Hello, fluffy. What bothers me mostly of AD exported PDFs is the lack of vector gradients options. Let's say I need a logo/graphic done and print ready at any size. The client doesn't have AD so I can only provide a PDF with no other option for them to enlarge the final print output because gradients are rasterized. What do I do then?

Core i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz    |     8GB Hyperx Memory      |      Radeon R9 270X     |    Samsung 120 SSD

We can export PDF gradients as vector if they have only two colours and default mid-points. Not all apps can import them as vector, however - Illustrator can't - so for some export presets we turn that off. (It's part of Allow advanced features on the More page.) Alternatively, if you are working in RGB then SVG export is an option. If you can't use that, then it's a choice between rasterising transparency with EPS or rasterising gradiants with PDF. We will improve PDF over time, but that's the situation now. (We probably won't be improving EPS export.)