You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer comps - Layer comps to files

One of the most useful features I use in Photoshop is Layer comps. As a Video Producer, often title graphics will be designed, by a graphic designer as part of the brand. Layer comps gives the opportunity to isolate the layers, from the supplied psd and with the additional script "layer comps to files" run out a set of files to one location with one click.

These files can then be composited to produce an animated title. 

I am not familiar with Layer Comps, but they sound like what Affinity Designer calls Snapshots.

You need to enable the panel from View > Studio > Snapshots.

Then you can save Snapshots of layer states, and even export them to a new file.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thank you for your reply. Snapshots are certainly the equivalent of Layer comps. (half the story) Having got 6 snapshots what I now need to do is produce a set of the 6 individual files. It would seem I can make individual documents and then save each one - tedious. The P/S script runs all the layer comps (snapshots) to a set of files to a chosen save location with one click.

Agree with your observation that the feature although present is not yet developed to the same degree as it is in Photoshop.

Perhaps the devs have something to add about the issue?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Have you tried recording making a Macro?

Thank you for your reply. Snapshots are certainly the equivalent of Layer comps. (half the story) Having got 6 snapshots what I now need to do is produce a set of the 6 individual files. It would seem I can make individual documents and then save each one - tedious. The P/S script runs all the layer comps (snapshots) to a set of files to a chosen save location with one click.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Have you tried recording making a Macro?

DavidDoesAffinity doesn't say whether he's using AD or AP, but I believe macros are only currently in AP aren't they, so can't be used in Designer

He mentioned photoshop and layer comps that's why I mentioned macros in AP. Would be cool to have macros in AD as well I suppose...

DavidDoesAffinity doesn't say whether he's using AD or AP, but I believe macros are only currently in AP aren't they, so can't be used in Designer

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for bringing this up! I'm just starting to get more serious with AP, and have been wondering if there's something comparable to "layer comps". The snapshots do seem to fit me very well. They might actually reduce the need for layers, since it seems that you can have a text box with some text, save a snapshot, then change the text, save another snapshot and still be able to switch to the previous state. So the layer count stays small. 

On the other hand, it looks like it's not possible to add a layer to previous snapshots. I added an element on a new layer to my design, made a new snapshot, used ctrl-c or ctrl-x to copy or cut the new layer, then activated a previous snapshot. When I use ctrl-v, nothing happens, no new layer shows up.
Maybe this could be made possible in the future?

Definitely +1 for adding snapshots as an export option! Often, I have many design variants for a project. To show these to the client, it would be very helpful to export each variant / snapshot in a separate PNG or JPG with a single command.

• 4 months later...

I would love this too! Easily switching between, updating, and using Layer Comps in Photoshop is an integral part of my workflow. I use it so often, along with exporting "laying comps to files". I honestly need the feature..so if Affinity Photo gets it, I'll probably be making the switch!

• 11 months later...