You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I do not think there is a handy button "protect alpha" (which often would be useful), but people use selection (cmd-click layer) or some masking function to save transparency. Please advice me if there is quick and easy way.

For some reason, protect alpha disappears when I want to use the edit/fill command.

Even if I check the option, edit/fill still fills the whole layer:

Clipboard01.jpg

At this point, I'm not sure whether it is a bug or the way it actually works.

If it's the latter, I'll submit a feature request.

p.s. I tend to avoid cmd-click or ctrl-click layer as it adds more pixels to the actual layer's contents.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

"Protect Alpha" is a Context menu bar option only available for pixel level operations (like for the Paint Brush & Pixel tools). It limits the effects of those tools to pixels that are not transparent. (There is no "Document/Fill" item I can find in the AP menus.)

The Edit > Fill... menu item is a layer level operation that affects the entire selected layer. This is (somehow?) different from the Layer > New Fill Layer menu item, because unlike that it pops up a "Fill" panel window with several options. Some are fairly obvious, like Custom color, Primary Color, & Secondary Color, but Inpainting & to a slightly lesser extent History are a mystery to me, & I can't find anything in the Help system that explains them.

Maybe someone else can explain what they do. Hosts ...?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I would go with what's behind curtain #3  :D .

The Flood Fill Tool (paint bucket icon)... with Tolerance set to 100% and Contiguous unchecked.

Example with a couple knockouts and Flood Fill (one click in both cases)...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-05 at 12.19.41 PM.png => attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-05 at 12.20.11 PM.png or attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-05 at 12.19.55 PM.png

Nice solution JimmyJack.

Thanks for posting it!

I wish the edit/fill would have the protect alpha, as it would be a faster method.

Best,

Andrew

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

@verysame

Will this work for what you want to do?

Select > Alpha Range > Select Opaque

Then use Edit > Fill

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.