You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP Brush definition question 1.5 RC4

Back in Photoshop days (years ago) I had a signature that I saved as a brush. The signature image was in black on a white background and made into a jpeg. When I selected thee brush I could click on a photo, size the signature (brush) and alter the colour. Only the signature would be visible on the image.

Now in AP 1.5 (RC4) I saved the scan as a brush and everything works except that now it shows up as a signature with the white background. My suspicion is that I've made a mistake along the way. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Ed

I tried saving a new image brush of the signature (black on white background) but even after using a PNG the brush still has a white background. Am I saving as the wrong type of brush or have I missed something else? 

Thanks,

Ed

Bring your scan into Affinity Photo then under Filters>Colors, select Erase White Paper.  That will give you a transparent background and you can then Export it as a PNG and your brush should be a black signature on a transparent background.

Thanks LilieG. That worked. 

To carry this one step further: in Photoshop I used to be able to sample a colour and use that colour for the signature. In Photo I haven't figured out how to make the signature in any colour but black. Any suggestions?

Ed

Huuuuh!  I tend to use mine as black always so I hadn't realized that you couldn't just treat it like a regular brush and select your desired color.  Got a kind of klutzy work-around that you could use till someone offers a better solution.

Apply the signature on an empty pixel layer. 

Select "Protect Alpha" in the Tool Options bar so that only the sig will be affected

Then use a regular brush loaded with the desired color to paint over just the signature.

If you make the regular brush a fairly large size it will only take one swipe across the signature

Maybe someone will come up with a more elegant solution but that's the best I can do on the spur of the moment.

Once again, thank you LilieG!

I tried it and it worked exactly as you described. I'm hoping someone out there (maybe one of the developers) can tell me (us) how to have the colour change work but meanwhile this does the trick. Since I'm not doing any high volume stuff it's not too much of an inconvenience.

Ed

Here's a good method.

1) Sign your name and scan it. Or, sign on a tablet. In any case, create a document with a black signature on a transparent background. Save this as an Affinity Photo (afphoto) document.

post-12953-0-02887900-1481861444_thumb.jpg

2) In the Photo you want to sign, place the Signature document (as an embedded document) into the photo. Using Place... allows you to resize the signature as big or as small as you'd like.

3) Now, with the Signature selected, click the FX button at the bottom of the Layers panel. You can assign a Color and other effects as you'd like. In the picture below, I colored the signature yellow and applied an orange Outer Glow.

post-12953-0-31217000-1481861463_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

A very simple method is to put a coloured rectangle under the signature layer, and then drag it up in the Layers panel until it's clipped to the signature (indicated by a thick blue line extending to the right of the signature layer's thumbnail). If the blend mode of the rectangle is set to 'Screen', then it won't matter whether the signature layer's background is white or transparent.

You can change the colour of the signature at any time by changing the fill of the rectangle.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Here's a good method.

1) Sign your name and scan it. Or, sign on a tablet. In any case, create a document with a black signature on a transparent background. Save this as an Affinity Photo (afphoto) document.

attachicon.gifSignature as afphoto.jpg

2) In the Photo you want to sign, place the Signature document (as an embedded document) into the photo. Using Place... allows you to resize the signature as big or as small as you'd like.

3) Now, with the Signature selected, click the FX button at the bottom of the Layers panel. You can assign a Color and other effects as you'd like. In the picture below, I colored the signature yellow and applied an orange Outer Glow.

attachicon.gifSignature w FX.jpg

Thanks, James.  The ability to use FX on the sig offers all sorts of artistic or just plain fun possibilities. 

"James"?

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

The ability to use FX on the sig offers all sorts of artistic or just plain fun possibilities. 

You can use FX with my method, too, of course. The attached screenshot shows the standard 'Rainbow' style applied to the coloured rectangle, and a 12.5px 'Bevel / Emboss' layer effect applied to the text. (I've added a black background to make it show up better here.)

post-8358-0-50536200-1481911826_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.