You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Arrange drop-down is flawed

The Arrange drop-down dialog behaves quite strangely in a number of ways. For example, do the following:

1. Create two simple, non-aligned objects.

2. Select them.

3. Click Arrange on the toolbar. This will open the Arrange drop-down.

4. On the drop-down, click Align Center. It looks like the the two objects were aligned.

5. Click OK.

6. Click anywhere on the page. Objects are now back to their original positions.

Aside from this flawed implementation, I also found at least the following weird behaviors:

• Step 5: if you click Cancel instead, nothing seems to happen until you click the page.
  • Step 5: Click Alt+tab. The drop-down disappears.
  • If you use the drop-down to space objects, objects are misteriously moved after I click anywhere.

The solution seems to be to correct these bugs and, of course, get rid of the OK / Cancel buttons (which are meaningful only for modal dialog boxes, BTW) and perform actions immediately (like the Snapping drop-down).

I'm only seeing the Alt-Tab behaviour here.

Edit: My mistake! I was using the release version. Alignment is broken for me in beta version 1.5.1.43.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I didn't realize that, thanks. It does work in the release version, but it seems that the OK button does nothing, and the Cancel button does exactly what Undo does. IMHO both buttons can be removed anyway.

Thanks.

I've just tried this again in the release version, with the same results as I got yesterday: I'm not seeing any jumping objects.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It looks like there is some peculiar condition that triggers this error. Yesterday it happened again, but it's not happening today. I'll let you know.

Meanwhile it would be useful to know if anybody else can reproduce this problem. Thanks for now.

• Staff

Hi Rubs,

This behaviour has (unfortunately) been reported several times before. As you've said there is definitely something users are doing that is triggering this behaviour to happen. Unfortunately until we find out what this is we're unable to reproduce the issue so we can look at it getting fixed. If you have any idea of what you were doing that may have caused it then do please let us know!

• Staff

What I can report is, that sometimes elements inside a constraints group can't be aligned anymore. 

Thanks!

This is a known issue and with development - any element that has a Constraint applied to it cannot be aligned.

• Staff

Okay, I got it:

1. Customize the toolbar (yep).

2. Perform the steps above. Both the release and the beta version have the problem.

Oh, and get rid of those OK/Cancel buttons in the process, please!

That's wonderful!!! Been able to reproduce it - thanks for your help in narrowing down the cause! I'll get it reported to development!

Once again thank you very much :D

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.