You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to draw lines with arrow ends?

• Staff

Line ends are on the Designer roadmap in feature requests and will appear in a free update during the development of version one, but Designer is not DrawPlus and you will find many differences.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Some creative workarounds have been posted on a thread somewhere. Search for arrowheads and I'm sure it will come up

Hello

Is there a way to put arrow ends on a line? I need to do this. I could do it in Serif Drawplus 8 but I can't see arrow options for the ends of lines in the sidebar when I use the pen tool.

Thank you

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Here are shortcuts to a couple of the solutions ronnyb was referring to:

Indicator arrow assets from lenuishttps://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30290-indicate-arrow-asset-for-ui-design/?hl=arrow

Some brushes from ronniemcbride : https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3723-arrow-brush/?hl=arrow (and further down that thread is a very clever trick for creating arrows using Affinity Designer's pressure profile, from ronnyb).

Designer also has an Arrow Tool, but it creates vector shapes rather than lines with arrowheads. It is a bit cumbersome to use as a substitute for a line with an arrowhead & it is only useful when you want straight lines.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

(and further down that thread is a very clever trick for creating arrows using Affinity Designer's pressure profile, also from ronniemcbride).

Are you sure you aren't confusing Ronnie with Ronnyears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Patrick - thank you. I realize the software is different.

But Serif sells this software as the replacement and sent emails saying that DrawPlus was no longer supported.

I was very happy using DrawPlus 8 and it did everything I need it to do to create my sewing patterns.  Patterns need a double headed straight arrow to indicate the grain of the fabric. Not having this facility in Affinity is a real problem for me.

What can I say, we Ronny/ie's are a clever bunch... 

Good eagle eyes, @Alfred  :ph34r:  I bet you like to use Affinity's 1,000,000% zoom feature...  :P

Are you sure you aren't confusing Ronnie with Ronnyears.gif

Ack, so I did! Thanks Alfred!

Post edited to correct the attribution. My abject apologies to ronnyb.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi ShinKaiZen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Our roadmap covers the whole app 1.x cycle (which may span more than a year) so not all planned features were implemented yet. The ones that aren't available yet will be added in the next updates (1.6, 1.7 etc until v2.0).

Thanks MEB. Very much appreciated this feedback :)

• 6 months later...

Hi I know this answer is not ideal but follow these steps and see if it helps

View top menu, Studio, Character, you want to see all fonts and look for Wingdings 3.

Starting from the far left of the numbers row on the keyboard ( on a Mac ) start typing and you will hopefully see a series of arrow heads - choose

Then from the left toolbar select the pen tool and draw a line that you can resize and nudge over the end of your arrow.

Hope that helps where perfection is not necessary

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, baudot said:

For anyone who comes to this question now: 

The Arrow Tool now exists.

It has been included for years but it is an arrow shape tool, not the same as the much requested feature of arrow ends for open curves.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

Hi obtusity, thank you for sharing the links, super helpful :) :)

On 12/4/2016 at 4:28 AM, obtusity said:

Here are shortcuts to a couple of the solutions ronnyb was referring to:

Indicator arrow assets from lenuishttps://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30290-indicate-arrow-asset-for-ui-design/?hl=arrow

Some brushes from ronniemcbride : https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3723-arrow-brush/?hl=arrow (and further down that thread is a very clever trick for creating arrows using Affinity Designer's pressure profile, from ronnyb).

• 5 weeks later...

I've been learning Designer and came here looking for arrowheads on lines. Really surprised it's lacking! Just wanted to throw a vote in for the feature. Glad it's on the roadmap.

Actually I was looking for it in the Publisher Beta but thought it'd at least be in Designer.

I'll look into the workarounds, but it seems like such a standard thing that shouldn't need a workaround.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently bought Affinity Designer and expected much. I tried to add an arrowhead to a line, and expected to find a good selection of different arrowheads but there's nothing, only a very simple group of caps. This is a fairly basic function I'd expect in a drawing package. Is it really still on the roadmap after several years?

It looks like it's back to 'Graphic' for now.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, kingbily said:

Change a line or arrow
Right-click the line or arrow.
On the shortcut menu, click Format AutoShape.
In the Format AutoShape dialog, select the options you want. ...
To change the direction of an arrow, click on the beginning or end of the shape and drag to the location you want.

The Affinity apps don’t have AutoShapes. That’s a Microsoft Excel feature.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)