You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about brushes - can I use the ones from Serif?

Hello

I used Serif V8 before I bought Affinity recently.  For Serif 8 I had some extra designer brushes that looked like embroidery stitches.

Is there any way I can use these in Affinity? Or if the Serif brushes are not compatible, is there an update pack available to purchase that has these brushes?

I bought the workbook but I cannot see what I need.  The brushes mentioned in there all look like paintbrush strokes  or palette knife smears.

Thank you

If you're using brushes from the Serif Affinity products then you're already using "ones from Serif" ;) but I take it that you're referring to Serif DrawPlus X8. If you look at the Image category in the Draw Persona in Affinity Designer, you'll find that it has the 'Chained Feather Stitch' and 'Eyelets Running Thread' that you know from DPX8; you can add others by exporting them as 32-bit PNG and using the 'New Textured Image Brush' option to create copies of them in AD.

The DPX8 file in the attached zip archive should get you started. I drew a straight, horizontal line with the V-Stitch brush, set it to 160pt so that it would be large enough to include plenty of detail, and made it just long enough that it doesn't repeat; if you switch to something like 'Fly Stitch' or 'Detached Buttonhole Stitch' you'll find that you need to make it longer before the stitch displays correctly. Back in AD, go to the Image category in the Brushes panel, click on the menu icon to the right of the panel labels, choose 'New Textured Image Brush' and browse to the exported PNG image. Scroll down to the bottom of the list, double-click on the new brush to open the 'Brush - Editing' dialog, set the Body to 'Repeat' instead of 'Stretch' and then press 'Close'.

I hope this helps a little. :)

DPX8_Embroidery.zip

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Alfred, I will need to check our licence on those brushes as to whether they are for DrawPlus / CraftArtist or for any Serif product.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I'm a little surprised to learn that there might be a licensing issue here, Patrick. All the user is doing with the brush is to create a PNG image with it, and then re-purposing that PNG image for use elsewhere: it's isn't as though the actual brush files are being shared.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Not the user, you Alfred, I'll check if YOU are allowed to post/distribute it here in a different format....

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I wasn't proposing to share my PNG images with anyone, Patrick. I've merely shared a DPP file, as DrawPlus users often do, but I'm happy for the attachment to be removed if it's at all problematic. :)

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 years later...

I too would like more information on this as I have all of the serif programmes Draw, Page, etc and would like to know how to be able to use the brushes in affinity photo and designer I am new to both affinity programs so a step-by-step, Newbie guide, would be very helpful :)   Thanks!

Also is it possible to use the other assets from these programs in Affinity ? If so, How? PC Desktop version