You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Gradient editor

Can you explain how you would normally go about creating your own gradients and then saving them as a preset.

I would normally do this in Photoshop via the FX - gradient overlay and saving as a new gradient overlay preset. As there are so many gradients available for Photoshop but not for AP at present I'm thinking that I could just copy a gradient from Photoshop i.e noting the percentage nodes along the gradient line and colour info and then replicating that in AP. 

Although it works to a point by appearing to save in the tool bar gradient, you then don't appear to be able to access those saved gradients via FX. Seems to me much more logical to be able as in Photoshop to access, create and save as a preset in a preset editor so it's always there. Another thing, Photoshop has a smooth facility in FX gradient which is not available in AP and thus the gradient transitions are not as smooth even when adjusting the slider nodes.

Your comments team would be appreciated on this topic. Maybe I'm overlooking something here.

• Staff

Hi Raymondo,

Create an object and apply the gradient you want using the Gradient Tool, then go to the Swatches panel, create a new palette if necessary (going to menu on the top right of the panel and selecting Add Application/Document or System Palette) and click the palette icon on the right of the palette dropdown to add the gradient to the selected palette. Currently it's not possible to access the gradients stored in the palette from the Layer Effects dialog.

To get smoother gradients, make sure Dither Gradients is checked in Affinity Designer Preferences, Performance section. You can also select a colour format with a higher bit depth (colour depth) in the Document Setup dialog, Colour Format dropdown.

Apologises but have another observation here. I have created a gradient using the gradient tool, then I have gone across to the swatch window and clicked on the particular gradient and clicked on the palette icon to add it to my application gradient palette. Now all I get is a one colour palette showing, it does not show as a gradient. Is this a bug?

Something else I've just noticed in AP 1.5.0 (RC4) is the outline colour ring and fill roundals both in the tool bar and in the colour window on the right are both the same unlike in AD. You can't distinguish between which is which. 

Hi

I'm having trouble with saving gradients. I thought I had got it but I've followed your instructions but it seems that if you try to save a gradient, all it does is save a load of colour swatches that make up the gradient which is not what I'm after. I want to be able to save the gradient as a gradient swatch, not a palette full of colours. This should be so super easy to save a gradient swatch for later use but it's proving to be a hard job. I'm not sure if you understood what my original question. I simply want to be able to create a gradient and then save it as a swatch within the gradient drop down pallete. Can you tell me again how to save a created gradient as a swatch, not a palette full of colours that make up the gradient please.

• Staff

Hi Raymondo,

Make sure you have the object selected in the layers panel and you have changed to the Move Tool then click the palette icon on the right of the palette dropdown to add the gradient to the selected palette. If you keep one of the gradient's colour stops selected in the canvas with the Gradient Tool selected only that colour will be added to the palette, not the whole gradient.

• 3 months later...

... click the palette icon on the right of the palette dropdown to add the gradient to the selected palette ...

I see no such icon, not to mention there's no indication the dropdown is called that (though the one I'm using is all about palettes).

If you keep one of the gradient's colour stops selected in the canvas with the Gradient Tool selected only that colour will be added to the palette, not the whole gradient.

How do I unselect a stop? Escape unselects the gradient entirely.

• 7 months later...