You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Icons on Windows 7

It's OK, I've found the problem - on Windows 7 (and maybe also Windows 8), you'll need to copy some more files:

api-ms-win-*.dll

ucrtbase.dll

Alternatively you could just install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Thanks,

Jon

I work with Windows 7 and I already have in affinity > Common all the files you mentioned, but still I see only the Affinity Logo and the file name.

Daniele, your screenshot of the Affinity>Common Files folder does not appear to include one of the four files which Jon W listed, specifically ucrtbase.dll.  I don't know if that is what is causing the problem for you?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

The first 2 additional files are all that's needed on Windows 10, but on 8.1 & 7 you also need lots of other files as John explained when he said you need

- api-ms-win-*.dll

- ucrtbase.dll

That first line means ALL the files that start api-ms-win-??????.dll from the same folder as Affinity Designer EXE.

Then one more file called ucrtbase.dll.

Or instead the Visual Studio Runtime library install would put all those in your system folder and the thumbnail provider will have all it needs for your OS.

Have you tried installing the latest Affinity Photo for Windows beta? It does all this for you.... (see the 2nd last point on the release notes)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30345-affinity-photo-public-beta-15043-windows/

As does the latest Affinity Designer Customer beta

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30346-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15143/

So really this should not be a problem anymore for anyone.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

The first 2 additional files are all that's needed on Windows 10, but on 8.1 & 7 you also need lots of other files as John explained when he said you need

- api-ms-win-*.dll

- ucrtbase.dll

That first line means ALL the files that start api-ms-win-??????.dll from the same folder as Affinity Designer EXE.

Or instead the Visual Studio Runtime library install would put all those in your system folder and the thumbnail provider will have all it needs for your OS.

Have you tried installing the latest Affinity Photo for Windows beta? It does all this for you.... (see the 2nd last point on the release notes)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30345-affinity-photo-public-beta-15043-windows/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30346-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15143/

I attach  a screen-shot with the list of files I have now, after the last AP 43 release. As you can see they are all there.

To be sure, I have also restarted the PC, but nothing has changed at all.

post-37112-0-87512200-1480784341_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

- api-ms-win-*.dll

- ucrtbase.dll

I already installed since over a month all the files you mentioned (i.e. the same as in AD are in the Common Folder), but still I cannot see the file image (only the file name and the affinity logos appear).

I have both AD & AP with the official release (no more Beta).

@Daniele Salvatore: I don't know if it the same for Windows but on Macs, for both AD & AP there is a "Save Thumbnails with documents" option in Preferences > General that must be enabled (checked) to see document previews instead of the Affinity logos.

If you have that option in the Windows versions, make sure it is enabled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Daniele Salvatore: I don't know if it the same for Windows but on Macs, for both AD & AP there is a "Save Thumbnails with documents" option in Preferences > General that must be enabled (checked) to see document previews instead of the Affinity logos.

If you have that option in the Windows versions, make sure it is enabled.

It has always been like that since the very beginning; I enclose the screen-shot to show as it is. I do not know anymore what to do.

post-37112-0-27538800-1483380128_thumb.jpg

Hi Kathryn, this is the forum for the Windows beta, you may have more luck with your thumbnail issue in the General forums :)

I do not understand; the title of this topic is File Icons on Windows 7.

I also was supponing that Affinity Icons and Affinity Thumbnails have the same meaning. Therefore this should be the right forum.