You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Icons on Windows 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Jonopen, sorry for not getting back to you. 

I'm afraid I have no idea why you're having this problem. Everything relevant in your registry seems to be OK. 

It could be worth having a look in Windows Event Viewer for any thumbnail-related errors. 

​Thanks for the reply. To be honest looking at Windows log files this is a bit beyond my field of technical experience.

Incidentally I've just installed the Affinity Photo public beta to see if I can see its thumbnails, but I can't, at least not from Windows Explorer. I can however see file content previews when viewed in XnView, which is something that I can't with Affinity Designer.

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

​Thanks for the reply. To be honest looking at Windows log files this is a bit beyond my field of technical experience.

Incidentally I've just installed the Affinity Photo public beta to see if I can see its thumbnails, but I can't, at least not from Windows Explorer. I can however see file content previews when viewed in XnView, which is something that I can't with Affinity Designer.

Hi Jonopen,

I'm sorry to see that this problem is still persisten for you. Do you have any chance to try AD on a different computer and see if the thumpnail display works there? This could help to confirm that the problem is most likely related to your computer's setup.

I looked around Google and discovered that this is a problem others seem to have had too. Perhaps these solutions can help?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/thumbnail-previews-not-showing-windows

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-icon-clear-thumbnail-cache-windows-10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/18834-thumbnail-previews-file-explorer-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thanks dominik for the info and help.

I have previously tried the suggestions contained within the links in your last post and have come to the same conclusion that it's just something specific to my PC. Other graphical file type thumbnails display OK in Windows Explorer - just not the Affinity ones. :(

post-32390-0-06837400-1479079008_thumb.png

I have previously tried the suggestions contained within the links in your last post

Hi Jonopen,

by accident today I looked at my files with the thumbnail preview turned on. Usually I look at the 'detail view'. To my surprise Affinity Photo thumbnails showed just the AP icon while Affinity Designer thumbnails did show a preview of the file content. In other words I shared (at least) part of your problem.

I then decided to visit my own recommended solution pages from above to try and see what they have to offer for my problem.

I downloaded the free and small (portable) program Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder.I ran it with the option 'Delete Thumbnail Cache' and then rebooted my computer.

Result: Affinity Photo thumbnails show the content of the file. Not bad.

If you dare to download and run a program from a link provided by basically a stranger (= me, not related in any way to the program I link to) I'd be interested to hear if this helps with your situation. But I will fully understand if you refuse to do so.

Best regars,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Can anyone experiencing this problem please try the following (Jonopen, this is similar to what you already tried, but this is a new DLL so please try again). 

1. Download and extract the attached file

2. Back up the existing file: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Common\Thumbnail.dll

3. Replace it with the one from the zip

4. Open a folder containing .afdesign or .afphoto files in Explorer.

5. Copy and paste one of those files to create a new file. 

A "Logging started" message should pop up. If it does... 

5. Press <Windows>+R and type "%temp%\AffinityThumbnailHandler". This should open a folder in Explorer. 

6. There should be some log files in there. If there are, please post them here. 

7. Restore the old version of C:\Program Files\Affinity\Common\Thumbnail.dll

Thanks, 

Jon

Thumbnail.zip

@Jon W, 

First, this problem seems to be intermittent on my system.  I've attached below a screenshot showing an APhoto file with a thumbnail and an edited version of that same file, showing an AP icon!

I then followed the instructions in your post and the icon-only file and the copy of the same file now show the thumbnail, 2nd attachment below.

I've also attached the requested logging file.

Hope these will be helpful!

Jeff

Edit:  The .log extension to the logging file excludes it from being attached here, apparently!  Hence, I'm pasting here its contents (thankfully it's very short):

CClassFactory::CreateInstance
DllAddRef
CClassFactory::QueryInterface
DllRelease
Found stream, looking for thumbnail...
Found thumbnail
Loaded thumbnail, size is 276 x 512
Created bitmap: 0000000069053308

post-28542-0-41676300-1479932745_thumb.jpg

post-28542-0-23032700-1479932836_thumb.jpg

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hi Jon

I've followed your instructions but unfortunately it didn't trigger the 'logging started' message.

At step 4."Open a folder containing .afdesign or .afphoto files in Explorer" I wasn't exactly sure when to do this, so I tried:

a. without Affinity Designer running (in Explorer)
b. with Affinity Designer running in the backgrround (in Explorer)
c. from within the 'Open...' file explorer/chooser from within Affinity Designer

At step 5. (the second step 5) when I try to open "%temp%\AffinityThumbnailHandler" (I tried with and without the quotes) I get a message telling me Windows can't find it and to check my spelling.

I'm happy to keep trying things to get this resolved until beta version stops running.

Edit: I now have the non-beta version 1.5.0.36 :) 

• Staff

First, this problem seems to be intermittent on my system.  I've attached below a screenshot showing an APhoto file with a thumbnail and an edited version of that same file, showing an AP icon!

Hi Jeff, 

This sounds like there might be some blank thumbnails in your thumbnail cache. If you use the Windows "Disk Clean-up" utility to delete your cached thumbnails or the relevant drive, they should all appear. 

Assuming this fixes the problem, please let us know if it ever happens again. 

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jeff, 

This sounds like there might be some blank thumbnails in your thumbnail cache. If you use the Windows "Disk Clean-up" utility to delete your cached thumbnails or the relevant drive, they should all appear. 

Assuming this fixes the problem, please let us know if it ever happens again. 

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for this.  I have run the utility, opened a .jpg image in AP, made some very quick adjustments and resaved it as an AP file.  Checking the folder where it is stored I see a thumbnail for the image.

So, for me at least, this seems to be resolved.

Slightly OT for this forum, any files I have created using AD (all betas and the final release) do show a thumbnail so the problem seems to have been limited to AP.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

I've followed your instructions but unfortunately it didn't trigger the 'logging started' message.

At step 4."Open a folder containing .afdesign or .afphoto files in Explorer" I wasn't exactly sure when to do this, so I tried:

a. without Affinity Designer running (in Explorer)

b. with Affinity Designer running in the backgrround (in Explorer)

c. from within the 'Open...' file explorer/chooser from within Affinity Designer

Jonopen, 

It doesn't matter whether Designer is running or not; the thumbnail handler is completely separate. 

Thanks for helping us look into this problem. There are a few more things we can try, which I'll post tomorrow. 

Jon

Hi,

First off, really happy to have found your app. 

I ran into the same problem as Jonopen in my notebook - no thumb preview, but it works fine in my PC. 

The only difference is windows 10 home (not working) vs windows 10 pro (working).

Configs are the same.

Does this make any sense??

Cheers

Pedro

• Staff

OK, we've found the problem - there are some DLLs missing from the Common folder. 

We'll fix this in the next release, but for now you can fix it yourself by copying these files from the application folder to the Common folder

(e.g. from "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer" to "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Common"):

vcruntime140.dll

msvcp140.dll

Thanks, 

Jon

OK, we've found the problem - there are some DLLs missing from the Common folder. 

We'll fix this in the next release, but for now you can fix it yourself by copying these files from the application folder to the Common folder

(e.g. from "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer" to "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Common"):

vcruntime140.dll

msvcp140.dll

Thanks, 

Jon

I copied the 2 files, and I restarted the PC, but it does not work. I still see the Affinity Logos (AD & AP) with the file names, i.e.  xxxx.afphoto & yyyy.afdesign

• Staff

I copied the 2 files, and I restarted the PC, but it does not work. I still see the Affinity Logos (AD & AP) with the file names, i.e.  xxxx.afphoto & yyyy.afdesign

What Operating system are you using please? we will check the dependencies

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

It would have been better to keep this in the other thread, rather than start a new one so I will merge them back later.

This oversight in the first release of Affinity Designer has been resolved internally and will be part of future releases. It may be that yesterday's Windows Photo beta 1.5.0.43 installer includes this fix, but I'm not sure and cannot check.

Did you try the suggestion to install the redistributable merge module here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It would have been better to keep this in the other thread, rather than start a new one so I will merge them back later.

This oversight in the first release of Affinity Designer has been resolved internally and will be part of future releases. It may be that yesterday's Windows Photo beta 1.5.0.43 installer includes this fix, but I'm not sure and cannot check.

Did you try the suggestion to install the redistributable merge module here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145

The link you have attached seems to be for Visual Studio 2015 (I do not know what it is for); what I can do with it?