You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just wanted to tell Serif/Afinity what a disappointment the new Affinity Photo is. How is it that a 27 year pro who moved from PhotoShop to PhotoPlus xX feels completely lost in this improved "upgrade"?! It is a misery. I have installed it 3 times now hoping the problem is on my end. Clearly it is. But it shouldn't be. I won't be installing it a forth time.

• Staff

DeWitt,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Your expectations that you might be less lost by re-installing the software seems odd, so were you having technical problems or are you simply saying that you don't like it?

You haven't really explained what was wrong with your experience, or why you felt the need to reinstall. I understand you are disappointed, but Affinity Photo is not sold as an upgrade, it is a whole new application.

I am tempted to move this to the feedback forum, but get the impression that some assistance would help you use the programme instead. The whole point of a free public beta is to find problems and solve them, if we thought it were perfect it would have gone straight on sale weeks ago.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

No reading this again I think that it's unlikely to be a technical problem with the programme, so I'm moving this to feedback, where it is welcome to be.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I've been using every version of Photoshop since v1.0 (actually before v1.0 as I was a beta tester). This past summer on a lark I purchased AP just to see what it could do. In that time (going on 6 months now) I've had to use PS precisely once. All the rest of my post processing has been handled by AP. And once v1.5 comes out, my expectation is that I will no longer need to use PS any more. There are many things that AP is better at that aren't obvious at first (especially on a Macintosh where the performance is stellar). Would be happy to discuss if you could give us some more details.

Cheers

Michael

It has already been mentioned but I think it is worth repeating that the Affinity apps are not "upgrades" to any prior products. They are  entirely new products based on a brand new 'from the ground up' modern, more efficient code base. This includes rethinking the UI, optimizing the code for hardware that did not exist when the older apps were being developed, creating a unique file format that all the Affinity apps share, maximizing cross-platform compatibility & feature parity, & more.

Because of this, there is a learning curve -- if you expect it to work like other, pre-existing apps you will indeed be lost. But the curve is not too steep & there is unmatched support available in these forums, both from the Affinity staff (& occasionally even the programmers!) & other users to help with that. There is also extensive help build into the apps & dozens of video tutorials, some geared to beginners & others to specific more advanced topics & techniques.

The Windows version of Affinity Photos is still in the beta stages. It is not intended for production work; as Patrick said it is being offered for free so users can test it, help eliminate problems, & suggest improvements. If you do not want to be a part of that, fine, but don't expect it to be something it is not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The Windows version is being sold. So how is it a Beta test?

The Windows version of Designer is being sold. The Windows version of Photo is still in beta.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just to clarify a bit. I am a big supporter of Serif and I want nothing more than to see their success. The strangeness in my reinstallations came out of pure frustration and disbelieve that what I was seeing is what was designed. A few days would pass and I'd reinstall hoping I'd have a different experience. Thank you for the comments above especially RC-R's balanced and understanding, but I am still  utterly bewildered at the UI design decisions. Perhaps Affinity can have a "lite" version. Simple and elegant and familiar targeted for photographers instead of exotic retouching needs.

Also, it is not that I am incapable of learning Affinity Photo. Its just that the the expenditure of time and energy isn't worth it. If I were interested in moving to a completely different editing SW, then I am presented with a completely different question, and when price is not an issue, I begin thinking of Capture One, ect..

Thank you.

• Staff

Just to clarify a bit. I am a big supporter of Serif and I want nothing more than to see their success. The strangeness in my reinstallations came out of pure frustration and disbelieve that what I was seeing is what was designed. A few days would pass and I'd reinstall hoping I'd have a different experience. Thank you for the comments above especially RC-R's balanced and understanding, but I am still  utterly bewildered at the UI design decisions. Perhaps Affinity can have a "lite" version. Simple and elegant and familiar targeted for photographers instead of exotic retouching needs.

Also, it is not that I am incapable of learning Affinity Photo. Its just that the the expenditure of time and energy isn't worth it. If I were interested in moving to a completely different editing SW, then I am presented with a completely different question, and when price is not an issue, I begin thinking of Capture One, ect..

Thank you.

Thanks for coming back, I think that you have now explained perfectly. By installing different versions through the beta process would clearly have perhaps produced a different experience than the time before, that had not occurred to me sorry.

I now see that you have done exactly what I have been recommending to many others, to "take a look and decide if Affinity software is right for you" approach. I think that this will happen to quite a lot of Serif customers, who are surprised at the dark UI and layout unlike the Plus range. We have promised that dark UI will be addressed (optional) in the future, but that it is a bigger task than it would appear, as I have explained in other threads.

I think that it is the ideal time to look at what else is available, and hopefully many will choose Affinity Photo.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd