You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi to all the Experts.

I've attached a file (created in AD for Windows V1.5.0.36 - just purchased!).

I would like to know (if it's possible) how to cut the image with the line shown, and then end up with two parts.

...also...

I would like to know (if it's possible) how to cut out the area, out of the image, the size of the square.

Thanking you in advance.

how-to-cut.afdesign

OK I'll take a stab at this.

Splitting the photo into two sections...

At present there is no Cut tool in AD (it is a frequently requested feature, so will be added no doubt in the future).

However there are several ways to achieve what you are after depending on what output you want...

Vector Crop Method

1. Duplicate the photo object (Ctrl+J)
  2. Use the Vector Crop tool to crop the top off the photo, leaving the bottom.
  3. Now use the Vector Crop tool to crop the bottom off the copy of the photo, leaving just the top!

Export Persona Method (if you need the sliced photo as two files for external use)

1. Enter the Export Persona
  2. Create two slices, one for the top part of the photo, and one for the bottom.
  3. Export the slices!

Cutting out the Rectangle

I assume that you want to crop the photo to the rectangle, rather than end up with a photo with a rectangular hole in it.

AD excels at this task...

1. In the Layers panel, just drag the rectangle on to the thumbnail of the Photo.

The rectangle is applied as a mask. This works for any shape, not just rectangles.

Finally if you've not yet read the help file (cover to cover) and watched the tutorials on the Affinity site, I strongly recommend both. They are easy to follow and cover many basic and advanced techniques.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro