You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, behaviour is non-standard. Images should open fit-to-screen but not enlarge view over 100 %. Personally I do not find this a problem (but then I do not work with small files a lot, on the other hand many users may like to work small images zoomed into anyway).

More a nuisance is that images do not open as fit to screen but too small, about quarter of available screen. Window has to be dragged manually to fit the screen.

Considering that an image file could be anything from just a few pixels wide & tall to tens of thousands of them, I'm not sure why they should always be opened at 100% as a default.

However, it takes much less than a second to use the keyboard shortcuts for 100%, Zoom to Fit, Actual Size, Pixel Size, etc., so it should be no big deal to choose whichever one you want immediately after opening the file.

@Fixx: I'm not sure what you mean about images opening too small. Do they not automatically open to Zoom to Fit for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

However, it takes much less than a second to use the keyboard shortcuts for 100%, Zoom to Fit, Actual Size, Pixel Size, etc., so it should be no big deal to choose whichever one you want immediately after opening the file.

If you have to work with hundreds of small Thumbnail image files every day, it can be very annoying to change zoomlevel with command+1 each time!

It should not be very difficult to integrate a default-view setting into preferences.

It is now standard in image processing apps that large images are fitted and smaller images are opened to 100%.

I am not sure why you would want to work on small images at 100% -- for me that would just quickly cause eye strain -- but if you do & want a preference for that, add it to the feature request section.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Fixx: I'm not sure what you mean about images opening too small. Do they not automatically open to Zoom to Fit for you?

This is default appearance when first opening an image: 

Screenshot%202016-12-02%2015.11.50.gif?d

As you see default window is smallish, and actual image while shows entirely is even smaller. 

This is default appearance when first opening an image: 

{...}

As you see default window is smallish, and actual image while shows entirely is even smaller. 

I do not usually work in separated mode, so I'm not sure why the window opens to that size.

Affinity Photo 

• 5 months later...

I’d like get back on this topic. I am also looking for a default settings as süppel pointed out.

I'm not sure why they should always be opened at 100% as a default.

Sorry, I totally disagree on that. It’s kind of confusing that images show up blurry and pixelated as default.

Still, first reaction to me is what happened to the image quality? Using a keyboard shortcuts to switch the document view to 100% is an unnecessary step. If you’re working with multiple images you don’t want to do that on every image, do you? Images should be opened in the 100% view as default.

Do we already have a feature request for that?

Sorry, I totally disagree on that. It’s kind of confusing that images show up blurry and pixelated as default.

The only images that should show up as pixelated are rasterized images that are much smaller than the workspace window's size so by default they open at much greater than 100% zoom. That is because they are pixelated, which becomes increasingly obvious as the zoom level is increased, regardless of how that is done.

When the opposite is true (the image size is much larger than the workspace window) opening at 100% view by default would show only a small part of the image, probably the top left section of it unless there was also some provision to define which part should be shown. Either way, you would not be able to see the entire image without either zooming or panning or both.

In separated window mode on a Mac, as shown in the earlier screenshot by Fixx, each document opens in its own smallish window. That isn't very convenient if you are only working on a single large size file, or only on a single view of it, but consider what happens if you typically work on several documents or more than one view of a single document at the same time. What should be the default behavior for either of those workflows?

Beyond that, there are the complications of supporting different sized screens & multiple screens; plus the possibility of different 100%, Actual Size, & Pixel Size views.

With all that in mind, I do not see how any default opening view size will make everybody happy, even fairly complicated ones with different settings for different image and/or screen and/or window sizes.

Affinity Photo 

• 10 months later...

I would also like the image to stay on 100% zoom at all times unless otherwise instructed.
I don't like the application changing zoom arbitrarily.

- Currently it opens image pixelated at strange zoom levels, e.g. opening a 100x100 px image gives me a starting zoom level of 911%.
- Also tools like `crop` will change zoom levels after the action even if I don't want it to.

Perhaps .afphoto format can hold last used zoom level, but all other images should open as they are (at 100%).
Or give us the preference option to select between 100% zoom and current "smart" zoom behaviour.

(Affinity photo, PC version, Windows 10)

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Nerdifant,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This was already fixed in the latest Beta (v1.6.5.109) which you can download form here. If you prefer to wait to the next update there's a few workarounds you may want to try: if you are using a scale value (Display Settings on Windows) different from 125% or 150% (basically the default values provided), changing to one of the defaults should fix the issue. Alternatively if you go to Affinity Designer/Photo Preferences, Performance section and set the Retina Rendering to Low Quality (Fastest) It should also fix it.

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2016 at 9:03 AM, süppel said:

Affinity Photo should always open image files in the 100% view.
What must be set in the Preferences?

I need this because I work a lot with small image files.

I hope four years of waiting in vain for a small fix was of no inconvenience...

Maybe?

image.png.30dfa9b52c01765fa24cb2d87f89ef95.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi @dtmp,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently this was only implemented for the Windows version. Seems you are using macOS?

Yep, Mac. Once I put it in "separated mode" files seem to behave the way they did for me in PS. I'm thinking I like un"separated mode" a little better, but no worries.