You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have i just ruined my file by saving a Photo file in Designer?

Hi to my dear colleagues at Affinity!

I have been using, enjoying, and singing the praises of Affinity Design and Photo for some time now.  

I am using Photo v 1.4.2 and Designer v 1.5.4.  I just mistakenly opened an old Photo file in Designer and saved it.  Now i can only open it in Designer -- Photo won't open it anymore. 

And i am afraid that i am stuck.  It's a pixel-based file, i was confused when i opened it in Designer.

What should i do?  Is there any way to undo what i have done?

• Staff

Designer and Photo read exactly the same files. The only reason one uses a .afdesign and the other uses a .afphoto extension is simply so that we know which application you made it in, so when you click to open it, we'll launch the right application. 1.5 Photo is fully compatible with 1.5 Designer. 1.5 Photo will hit the App Store as an update very soon. In the meantime, you can definitely just download the Affinity Photo Beta 1.5 (which is currently at Release Candidate status) and use it until the App Store version gets updated :)

AHa -- Thank you MattP, this is great news! 
I thought that i understood what you were getting at, but I was afraid of messing things up worse since I was already unsure of why the file wouldn't work.
Thank you so much for the help!  I am downloading the beta Photo and looking forward to the next appstore update!

The current Photo version is 1.4.3. You need to open the Mac App Store app to updates & get the current version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks so much R C-R.  I had looked around for that update, but in the wrong places.  It was right there in my "Purchased" list, waiting for me to install it.
And now i have installed the update and am using the Beta version to edit the file that i couldn't get into, the one that i had asked about in the first place.

Thank you MattP!