You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Animatior in Affinity Photo, and or Timeline?? 

I think that it would be super cool if Affinity Photo like Photoshop added frame by frame animation, this is a huge downside to using

Affinity Photo for me, I don't think it should become a seperate product since, well, I already have Affinity Photo, I do not need a full

fledged animator and they already have their hands busy. The idea would be you could makes frames and export them as .gifs and

maybe .mp4's? that would be cool! all the features would pretty much be a copy of photoshop (maybe some cool feature aswell.), then

cartoonists could animate, photo editors could do some sick things and designers could make sick banners and internet .gifs, If affinity

added this, I would completely forget about photoshop and leave it in the dust, affinity is amazing and with animation it would be great!

Thanks for reading this post! please consider this :D

- Segovo

• 2 weeks later...

This is a interesting idea. Serif Photo and Draw had some animation tools. But I do not think it is something that should go in to Affinity Photo. There are some very good and cheap animation programs out there. Krita is very good on animation and it is completely free, no cost at all. ClipStudio EX has amazing animation tools, but you have to pay for it. SketchBook Pro "Flip Book" is OK and cheap. Photoshop is OK. The upcoming Animation Paper will probably be something special... I am keeping an eye on it for the beta release next year. It will be low price and a heavy duty animation software. TVPaint. What can I say? The best? The most expensive? at least I can not afford it.

I use Spine (sometimes Moho) for my animation, making my graphics in whatever software as long as I save it out as *.PSD. Affinity Photo makes it possible to export scripts for Spine to easy set up graphics. Spine + Affinity Photo = true love. I have to try the same in Affinity Designer too.

I have just unscribed my Adobe CC and I am leaving Photoshop and Lightroom. I don't need them anymore. I go for Affinity al along now!  

Keep on animating :)

Unfortunately, it was previous said that animation will not come to either Affinity Photo or Designer. The reason is because it would compact too many unrelated features in one, and it would create an overwhelming user experience. With a few exceptions, Affinity wants to carry only the features that relate to the program so the experience is more clear.

However, a friend asked what the GIF export option is for. I do not know that one.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Unfortunately, it was previous said that animation will not come to either Affinity Photo or Designer. The reason is because it would compact too many unrelated features in one, and it would create an overwhelming user experience. With a few exceptions, Affinity wants to carry only the features that relate to the program so the experience is more clear.

However, a friend asked what the GIF export option is for. I do not know that one.

But I think it should have, please think about web designer who need design some .gif animation banner in Affinity Photo and they cannot do animate... it's just motionless banner?

I moved from photoshop, and gif animation needed for web designer or some animators. Why photoshop has gif animation timeline also video timeline?

If I want to create some animation banners or animate cartoon that draw in AP., How can I do? Have I switched back to photoshop?

Affinity Photo is not only for retouching photo it should be also for web designer same as photoshop is not only for photographers but also web designers too.

Please consider.

Affinity is not a complete competitor to Photoshop or any other Adobe product. What I mean by this is, Adobe included other features that really were not relevant, and that is one of the reasons Adobe can be hard to understand. There is so much to it. Affinity is about keeping things easy to understand and keeping only the proper features. Yes, there is animation in Photoshop, but I did not think it was done well.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I share the sentiment, it would be awesome to have animation features included at least as useful as PS.  However, I don't find PS animation tools the most intuitive, so I'd rather have a dedicated program with better drawing/painting tools.  It looks like Krita have just made some improvements to their animation tools, so I'll be piddling around in that program again for a little while.  I do think simple animation tools would be a huge bonus for Affinity, though.  There aren't a lot of great drawing/painting programs that also have great animation features.

• 2 months later...

Totally agree with this. Photoshop may still be ubiquitous right now but it's a confusing, hot mess of a program. Its quite clear that Adobe have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

When you try and cater for everyone, eventually you'll end up catering to no one.

Exactly. I am okay with this even though I would love animation tools. Someone taught me that the latest version of Clip Studio Paint now has a function like After Effects. That seems very unnecessary for a vexel and painting program.

Animation is a great feature to have for an art program. Krita really stands as an example of what features such programs should have.
It's great to be able to re-draw a frame and see the results immediately.
Affinity Photo However is a Photo editing program, nothing else. I hope one day they do make Affinity Painter, or something of a sort.
But the fact is that designers have taken over the content industry and real artists are mostly ignored by major companies these days.
Honestly Adobe is mostly to blame since it blatantly favors designers, Photoshop sucks for art.

• 2 years later...

I am pretty much missing it, too.

But as always on Affinity Forums, a few hardcore posters decide over the masses of sometime-posters.
No idea why the money and wishes of a few "Dedicated Poster" is more important than the money and wishes of the masses. And until this changes, Affinity will stay a unimportant niche product. Sadly.

• 3 years later...

I would also like a feature for frame by frame animation.
But I figure it would also have to include a video layer where we can load a video as reference.
I am currently doing this in PSD.

I need to have an Adobe subcription only for this feature I use; so I would really like
to do this in Affinity.
On the other hand I fully understand that this is quite a niche that Affinity might not consider
while it entails a lot of work on the app.

I use Designer and Photo for all my creative work. I still wish...

iMac mid-2017
3,6 Ghz / 32G