You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fully lock layers

Currently in Designer a locked layer that is selected can have objects added. I understand the idea behind this is to prevent objects in the canvas from being selected while allowing the layer itself to be somewhat editable.

I think an option to fully lock the layer should be added, this option would prevent any addition, deletion, or any sort of change to the layer. I often have the wrong layer select by mistake and add objects to it, this would reduce the occurence of that situation.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Currently in Designer a locked layer that is selected can have objects added. I understand the idea behind this is to prevent objects in the canvas from being selected while allowing the layer itself to be somewhat editable.

I think this is completely the wrong way around. A locked layer should be locked not only against transformation (so that you can't move, rotate or resize it) but also against being edited in any other way; however, it should still be selectable on the canvas so that you can copy it or align other objects to it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think this is completely the wrong way around. A locked layer should be locked not only against transformation (so that you can't move, rotate or resize it) but also against being edited in any other way; however, it should still be selectable on the canvas so that you can copy it or align other objects to it.

That's an interesting idea. Maybe, but only with a modifier key pressed? Otherwise I agree a locked layer, and all objects within it, should not be editable in any way, shape or form.

• 7 months later...

Add to me to that. Adding objects to a locked layer isn't too bad just annoying but a couple of times I've accidently recloured locked groups. Fortunately it was bits I had working on a few days previously so I've been able to replace them from backups. But if it had been in the current work session and no backup so it/me lost me a chunk of work then it would be going in the bin never to be seen again. I don't think I've used another app where locked isn't totally locked.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Yes i noticed this too and wasnt happy with it..

you will get errors by thiniing it´s locked...

Well what about leaving as it is, but adding a     "freeze" button, that would "locks" everything  as a secound option ?     On the other hand,  a slick surface with fewer buttons can improve workflow. i am not sure about this..  at last, if i had to decide...  and i couldnt ad a further freeze button, i would change the lock behavior to   realy lock it...  for everything...