You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Is there an option to have y-coordinates go up in the up direction?

Computer graphics, for historic reasons, works the other way around as mathematics: the y axis points down.  But in the mainly technical drawings I make, I want the y axis to point up.

In Illustrator this can be set (admittedly by a command-line preference).

So when I move an object in y by +10mm I want it to move "up", not down.

The rotation is fine: it increases counter-clockwise, as desired.

BTW, thanks for allowing expressions in the numeric fields, that is really good.

Also thanks for having "acual size" take into account the screen's pixel density(*), so I do indeed get the actual size, unlike Illustrator where 100% has no meaning as it does not use the real screen pixel sizes.

And yet another thanks for keeping drawings as objects, especially complex ones such as cogs, stars etc., but even for simple things like rectangles it is extremely useful to be able to set the rotation back to 0 for example.

But be sure to store the data in the desired units, not convert them to points or pixels!

When saving a drawing in svg, I get everything converted to pixels, which then leads to rounding errors when reading it in again.  SVG is perfectly capable of working in mm!

It would be a boon if I could make, say, a rectangle, just by clicking on the canvas and then typing in the sizes rather than having to drag a rectangle first.

When units is set to mm, I still get a drop-down list of character sizes in weird values: 1.8mm, 2.1mm, …  I want 1mm, 2mm, …

Sorry for mixing several things in one post, and sorry if this should have gone to a different topic.

Robert.

(*)"pixel density" is a convoluted way of saying "resolution", which should mean pixels/mm but resolution has been changed to mean "number of pixels".  I mean pixels per mm of course.

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)

Also thanks for having "acual size" take into account the screen's pixel density(*), so I do indeed get the actual size, unlike Illustrator where 100% has no meaning as it does not use the real screen pixel sizes.

I don't know if you noticed this but "actual size" can mean any of several different things, depending on what you set 'Actual Size' Zoom to in the document setup preferences. (The preference includes the single quote marks around "Actual Size" to hint that it is device dependent.) As explained in this official AD video, the "Default" setting just sets actual size according to the dpi setting.

Likewise, some other apps allow you to set the "actual size" default to one of several different values. For example, Apple's Preview app allows you to define "100% scale" based on screen pixels equalling image pixels or on the size on the screen equalling printout size, & to do so separately for PDF documents & other Image file types.

So basically, "actual size" may or may not have a direct correspondence with screen pixel resolution or with printer resolution. It all depends on the settings & how the app interprets them.

As for character sizes, in typography they are traditionally based on points, but there are multiple, conflicting standards defining the size of a point so most computer apps use the so-called "DTP point" a.k.a. the "Postscript point" as the standard, even though it is not a particularly good one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RC-R for the details on actual size.  The thanks were because Adobe Illustrator does not allow me to get true size on screen.  I need to set the scale to 184% to see drawings as they will appear in print.

As to the type sizes:  I knew there were conflicting standards.  However, when I set Designer to give me mm for type sizes, I also want the menu to list round mm numbers, not things like 4.2mm, and that was the reason for my request.

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)