You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping & staying within the boundaries of the Image

Hi,

Using the Crop filter it automatically stays within the boundaries of the image when you crop to the Original Ratio but when you straighten the image with Original Ratio selected the Crop can be, and usually is, outside the boundaries of the image.

Is there an option, or a plan to include an option, to constrain the crop to the boundaries of the image? 

post-41030-0-09055800-1480575009_thumb.jpg

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

I would fully support this question.  If this change is not intended to be implemented I will post it as a feature request.

Admittedly, it is not exactly very much additional work to manually move the boundaries to sit within the image, but it is at least four extra mouse click-and-drags, one for each "side", to achieve what could be "automatic", I think.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hello, this is my first post.

This cropping behaviour is what prompted me to sign up to this forum. I find these quite unfortunate:

• Going outside the image when the ratio is changed
  • Not snapping to image boundaries when resizing the crop area with the Snapping enabled
  • Darken Border preference reverting to unchecked with every new file

It would really be wonderful to see these addressed.

I agree with the above comments. I was cropping some images to 1:1 for a composite image. Setting the crop ratio to 1:1 on a image in portrait mode is OK, albeit that it is possible to crop an area outside of the original image which is weird to say the least. Setting the ratio to 1:1 on a landscape mode image is a disaster. So it seems that the cropping guide is set to the width of the image, not to the longest side.

Furthermore the crops do not crop the canvas, so if I then copy my 'cropped' image onto another canvas it is no longer cropped. Have to admit I gave up and restarted the composite in Photoshop. This is pretty much a deal breaker - need fixing asap.

I would like to add this once more at this place to keep it together: 

With the crop tool in PS I can set a size (like 100x100px) and then make a selection in the image and with enter-key get the cropped area in the px dimensions entered. The crop tool in AP seems to give more options, but I cannot figure out a way to set dimensions and resize an area to those dimensions any easy way that does not include copy paste to another picture and resizing that picture. 

It is confusing because the options of the crop tool look similar but work differently. If I set absolute dimensions and resize the crop border, the dimensions change accordingly. 

If there is no easy way please consider an option to "keep result dimension when resizing crop selection"

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30406-crop-tool-workflow-question/

I have created a post about this in the Feature Requests section of this forum; the thread is https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30443-photo-cropping-of-rotatedstraightened-image-crop-marks-to-not-be-outside-image-boundaries/

Perhaps posters here and others who think this would be a great improvement, might like to add their voices to this request by posting their agreement to that thread?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.