You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art Director Beta Feedback

Excellent work on this program!  I've been using the Adobe suite as an art director for over a decade, and I'm impressived with the advancements you've made in Affinity Photo! Below are a list of Pro's and Con's that I noticed in a few days of playing around. By far, sorting out Pen Pressure issues is my primary concern before I could move an art team to this package. Thanks for listening!

Pros:

-love the global selection buttons at the top

-love the non destructive output profiles

-love the pressure sensitivity on paint selection tool

-awesome addition of a post crop vignette!

-nice right click delete of points in curves menu

-love the golden spiral on the crop

-sleek freq seperation

-liquify reconstruct?! awesome

-cool median brush tool

-love the visual presets for adjustments

-much improved patch tool! how do I constrain so it doesn't resize when I rotate?

Cons:

-Pen Pressure for brushes is a dealbreaker for professional artists. I see the force pressure to control size - but we really need flow controlled by pen pressure. Perhaps I just can't find it?

-very slow to open camera raw file

-development is the first step in a photo processing, but its the 3rd tab in the persona area...either this should change to the natural flow OR we should be able to just rearrange them.

-awkward 2-step selection of numeric entry boxes

-how do you delete a crop selection to start over?

-how do you remove blemish removal tool points?

-how do I go back to making global adjustments after I used the overlay gradient tool or overlay paint tool? 

-chromatic aberation reduction is very slow

-space bar needs to activate the hand move tool in all personas

-your progress bars need to be darkened - difficult to see the light blue line against the white.

-drag to new duplicate layer would be functionality would be nice

-alt or equivilent key for eyedropper selection on many tools is essential

-there is a long delay after pen tool use

-after i adjust the opacity of inner glow it automatically opens and puts focus on the outer shadow section.

-unresponsive after double clicking the swatch selector while heart tool was selected. same thing when trying to hold 'ctrl' on heart & tear drop shapes and move.

-Resizing text goes unresponsive after clicking export persona

-I Love the concept of the export persona but a big export button would be nice. Felt strange to set my export options then duplicate this in the file>export menu just to export my file. I assume this persona is still being sorted out?

-hard crash after clicking preserve alpa check in the radial blur menu.

-Don't close palettes when I use magnifying glass. This is needed for almost all palettes.

-Pen Pressure for brushes is a dealbreaker for professional artists. I see the force pressure to control size - but we really need flow controlled by pen pressure. Perhaps I just can't find it?

With the brush selected, look at the top menu bar, a button labelled "MORE". Hit it and then tab "Dynamic". Make the slider all to the right (100%) , set "pressure" , and click on the rectangle icon with a diagonal, there you can even adjust the flow pressure curve for that specific brush ! I tend to work with flow mainly, too, but also vary opacity with pressure. (and size)

IMO, better than this is in brushes right panel tab, select a brush there, and duplicate and rename it to whatever and double click any time you want to modify it. Seems this way you have less surprises of size getting to default or something. (when painting am always having that brush panel in the right side all time, and below, the layers) 

Screenshot for the flow setting.

post-31469-0-38133700-1480555690_thumb.png

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

-alt or equivilent key for eyedropper selection on many tools is essential

Is there, just different and with certain advantage for a certain workflows : Press alt key and keep pressed while you drag your mouse (left moue button) till the pixel with the color you want. i said pixel , as it triggers a magnifier for you to pick it accurately.

Is like in ps, just instead of a dry click with alt hold, is a drag operation.

When not using a brush, you can drag the eyedropper icon in the color tab in the right panels area, over the color in the canvas you want to pick -magnifier triggers- then you need an extra step (imo that's too much...) of clicking in the little circle beside that eyedropper icon. 

I think I have read you can make apear and use an eyedropper direct from the tool bar, but that comes not by default there.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

-there is a long delay after pen tool use

At the start of the stroke there indeed is a lag which makes difficult to draw (specially) , paint (a bit less severe problem), and retouch (I guess can slow you people down, too).

Brush engine is going to be changed or something, as far as I know.

-hard crash after clicking preserve alpa check in the radial blur menu.

They will be probably much interested in this one. Specially if you can replicate it with the latest .42 beta :

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30092-affinity-photo-public-beta-15042-windows/

At the start of the stroke there indeed is a lag which makes difficult to draw (specially) , paint (a bit less severe problem), and retouch (I guess can slow you people down, too).

Brush engine is going to be changed or something, as far as I know.

Hey SrPx :) Just posted about this painting/edit render lag thing. Wasn't sure if it was just my preferences but I have it set to Bilinear rendering... Is it a general bug? Disappointing for painting...

Blinear is not the highest quality in rendering, in theory (it never is, usually Lanczos>bicubic>bilinear>nearest neighbour (~pixelated)). Just like GPU in theory should provide better perfornace than cpu only ("Warp" setting in here). I've tested the issue to happen in all modes, though. Yep, IMO, (might not be official) is sort of a general bug, but might be hard to detect in *some* high end machines. Might not be a global bug if in Mac machines does not happen.(and then might be due to .net framework or the actual Affinity engine, no idea. ) . But I believe some with macs have it slightly. So, bug is there, then... IMO, in those with a very good gaming card, perhaps this issue can be reduced or might disappear (I  remember one only report so, but again, I should really see how was he using it ! ) There's been a massive number of users reporting the starting stroke lag. If a gtx 970 or a Titan X or a 1070 can deal with a minimized delay, this does not mean that the problem isn't there (just is compensated with hardware brute power till some point, aceptable or not imo depends only on how much real test the user did)... And I have a strong feeling that a major percentage of the Affinity's user base, present and future, wont have amazing graphic cards, but average as much. Some reports have been having the issue with good cards, so...   :wacko:

I have not a single doubt that it will be fixed, together with the other painting issues. Just give it time. My main worry is that the trembling of the image (becoming a more rough/non aliased image while cursor moves, and back to smooth when stops) will probably not be changed, unless the developers mention about the pending brush engine revamp/update might include that. If so I'd be a happy camper (well, I mean, with delay eliminated, trembling eliminated, jitter when zoomed out fully fixed, and in AD, wobbly lines (sth that happens exactly when the draft/raster stroke vectorizes (when the pen tip is lift) ).) ---> That day I might trash all except krita and Affinity's from my computer. Well, Irfan and Libre Ofiice also would survive. xD And Firefox. And.. Well, you get the idea.  ;D

Thanks for the info :)

Yeah well it certainly is a bug even if it's not readily apparent to the privileged graphics card owners! Even so, graphics tablets will find it hard to cope with this sort of rendering problem. Btw, it's not lag as such that I'm having problems with, but that pixelated rough stroke that appears whilst painting. And, I'm sad to see you think it won't be fixed soon :(

I illustrate in pencil/dry media usually and I need to be able to render fine details in real time. For high end photo retouching and the dodge and burn technique, high end brush precision in real time is very important. Not sure if I could afford to compensate with a graphics card... My cpu is generally ok and I have a Geforce 445m but it's old now... Still the problem persists.

Btw, what would you recommend if you were to suggest a hardware upgrade to compensate well for this? A card, faster ram or cpu?  Or is this rough anti-alias brush stroke drawing something that cant be fixed this way?

The pixellation you describe can be disabled in preferences. It's the low quality draw which occurs just before the high quality draw (which is slower, so takes longer to update the screen, hence the temporary low quality draw).

We've identified a problem which causes straight lines when drawing brush strokes. We hope to have a fix available soon.

The pixellation you describe can be disabled in preferences. It's the low quality draw which occurs just before the high quality draw (which is slower, so takes longer to update the screen, hence the temporary low quality draw).

Hi, Mark.

Is this a new feature / behavior ? I'm afraid .39 (these days lately been more focused in work, but with an eye in the brush improvements in the lists) is the last AP I have, I tested setting nearest neighbor, and Dither gradients / Use precise clipping ON and OFF in all combinations I could think of, and still the  tremble happens when I move the cursor... In AD, it wasn't already happening to me (also, the performance settings are the same) , I believe because in AD it converts immediately to vector. 

Is there a new setting in latest AP for this ?  Which is the setting ? I'd test it in my workflow, to see if it's good enough (in the meantime of the continuous system improve).

If you want to follow the progress of this +SrPx I have a thread here. Not sure if it's the same problem as yours however. Also this is on the release version of Photo 1.5.0.45. For my test I'm just painting and editing with my trackpad. I'll try my Wacom Intous 4 with it later.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30883-aph-15045-image-view-pixelates-temporarily-while-editing/

The retina setting...? That might be mac only ? 

I'll try to find some time to test the very latest AP I downloaded, later.

Edit: No, sorry, in that screen it shows you are in Windows. I 'll try later , thanks.  :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.