You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

merging anchors (or nodes)

Hi all!

Im a new Affinity Designer user coming from Illustrator and other CAD programs.

I've been struggling a bit with the user experience with affinity, apparently I need to "relearn" how to use basic CAD operations such as joining 2 anchor points? This is a bit annoying and it feels a bit like reinventing the wheel...

How do I merge two end anchor points together?

cheers!

• Staff

Hi brunoperry,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the Node Tool drag one of the end nodes over the other (make sure you have snapping enabled), then drag a marquee selection around them (to select both) and press Join Curves from the context toolbar. If instead of nodes you have two paths selected this command will connect the closest nodes with a line. There's also a command to Close a Curve (shape) there.

• 3 years later...

It seems to be a priority error, 'Align to Nodes..' does not take precedence over ''Snap to Geometry..' hence leaving a snap that you think goes to the node off enough to create redundant lines.
Also, the tool tips should all use 'snap' to avoid confusion.

While I'm at it, I really need a button to accelerate/force the "hover mouse over another object for a second to set it as aligning help", the function is awesome but it doesn't always activate and when it does it takes time :)

Edited by Jens Schmidt
I criticized your Tool Tip wording with a broken sentence, it has now been fixed :D

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 8:23 AM, pixeldroid said:

The capability to merge points would certainly be useful and in some cases an order of magnitude more efficient when editing. It's a basic function.

Agreed. Here's an example. I'd like to merge these two points into one that is in the average center of both of them. If I drag them to approximately the same location with node snap on the join button up top isn't visible. So I break them and then join them again. The result is still two points with a miniature spider web of handles. 

177699B6-B82D-42D6-A5F1-79B5D5B963ED.jpeg

2E18D7E0-BC48-4F18-93CE-0A36C57657ED.png

E40F2416-833D-450E-820C-20391FF65ABC.png

8 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Have you tried deleting just one of them?

Yes. That was the workaround. It wouldn't be as convenient with more points but there are other ways. This would be a nice feature to include in that tray regardless, as I've seen it in other apps.

• 5 months later...