You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

32 bit profile is ignored in develop persona - RC2

Hi Chris_K.
The problem is still present in RC5.
To open a raw in the small sRGB is to truncate many shades of colors. And then moving it to the photo persona with a larger space is strictly for nothing: the lost shades will always be.
It is always necessary to open a raw in a colorspace as large as possible, the ideal being to use the camera profile as profile input, unfortunately absent since the origin of the program.

http://laurentiaart.com/WP3/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Capture-d’écran-2016-12-06-à-14.13.32.png

This works fine in RC5 for me - you can set your color pref for 32bit files or override the preferences with the linear profile you want to assign by enabling and using the "Profiles" dropdown in the Developer Persona.

Try specifying other profiles (ProPhoto, AdobeRGB, BetaRGB, etc.) to see if it is a problem with your specific profiles not working as expected.

kirk

No, sorry but you do not see the problem.
Opening the image in sRGB eliminates a large amount of color shades due to the very small gamut of this colorspace. Changing the colorspace in the "Profiles" box will never cause them to return. They are definitely lost.
Hence the need to open the image in a larger colorspace and it's what the preferences are used.

I repeat myself, but that's what the input profiles (camera profiles) serve.

• Staff

No, sorry but you do not see the problem.Opening the image in sRGB eliminates a large amount of color shades due to the very small gamut of this colorspace. Changing the colorspace in the "Profiles" box will never cause them to return. They are definitely lost.Hence the need to open the image in a larger colorspace and it's what the preferences are used.

I repeat myself, but that's what the input profiles (camera profiles) serve.

Hi Laurentia, no need to worry, many of the Develop operations are done in an unbounded colour space. As of the RC5 beta, the few operations that weren't are now using a much wider gamut. I've seen the difference myself, especially with challenging imagery like low light shots with multiple coloured light sources, and the results are much improved. Colours can be much more intense without clipping to white.

The only factor at this stage you need to consider is the final output profile that the image is converted to when you click the Develop button (this is set either in preferences or using the Colour Profile option on the right hand panel). The colour profile listed in the Develop persona toolbar at the top is no longer relevant and has been removed.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi James Ritson.

Thank you very much, here is finally useful information!
Can I get information about this unbounded space?
Are you planning to introduce input profiles in the develop persona? The input profile characterizes the defects of the device while a space is a purely matrix system.

The colour profile listed in the Develop persona toolbar at the top is no longer relevant and has been removed

The information is still displayed during the development phase in the persona photo (my screenshot above).

(Sorry for my questions but colorimetry and color management are my job).

• Staff

Hi laurentia,

The unbounded space is a full-float linear RGB space with our own primaries - although, because the RGB values are floating point and can happily be < 0.0 and > 1.0, the primaries are (generally) irrelevant - nothing is ever lost.

For some stages in the pipeline, we need to switch to a non-linear space.. For this, we use something very similar to ProPhoto (ROMM). It's pretty much impossible for anything captured by a sensor to fall outside of the ROMM primaries, even after exposure / black correction - but because gamma response curves are naturally bounded by 0.0 and 1.0, we will throw away data outside those bounds.

The only truly "lossy" part is when you hit develop at the end - we will convert into whatever "Output Profile" you have chosen in the Develop Persona (this should default to whatever you have set in Preferences). If you want to retain the full unbounded quality of the image, I recommend setting "32-bit" output in the Develop Assistant.

We're confident that what we have done here is a good thing - we get better results with this develop pipeline than the previous 1.4 version (by a lot) - but we're certainly willing to listen if anyone has any queries or suggestions!

Hope this helps,

Andy.

Hi Andy,
Yes, it's a very good thing to have changed like that. For non-linear colorspace, I will be globally ok for the ProPhoto gamut, but not for its TRC (1.8!). However, its gamut may seem limited in some cases such as art reproduction where the Hasselblad profile proves beneficial (there are others even larger with all their virtual primaries).

Now, it just lacks the input profiles.
As you probably know, the apn profile characterizes the colorimetric response of the sensor and the associated electronic, which can not be done by a color space that is a matrix reference system.
I think I remembered that originally Affinity Photo for Mac, these profiles were present but the input profiles (device class "scnr") was never listed and in this case, it was useless.
Regards

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.