You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DWG / DXF support

Just bought my copy, and even though I haven't delved much into the soft yet, the first little thing that comes across, is the lack of DWG/DXF support.

Those file formats are still industry standard within CNC manufacturing, and also for architecture it could come in handy.

Bests,

Morten

• Staff

DWG and DXF are not filters we intend on adding to Designer. Affinity Designer is targeted at UI designers and Illustrators. CNC, CAD,  Flowcharts and other diagraming may be covered in a future product but not Designer.

Ok, thank you for the answer.

Making illustrations based on CAD drawings from a client, is something we do quite often too. 

Just had an issue now, where I want to make an illustration from a plan drawing in Rhinoceros. Exporting to AI format from Rhino, I am not able to import anything in AD - just an empty canvas.

• Staff

Hi rumlab,

Affinity Designer is only able to import Ai files that contain a PDF stream (files saved with Create PDF Compatible File checked when saving an AI file in Illustrator). The file generated by Rhinoceros probably doesn't include it, that's why you aren't able to import anything.