You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A golbal switch to enable/disable all layer effects for a layer

I think this is useful depending on how many layers you have for effects. If you have multiple effects on just one layer, it shouldn't be too time consuming. Hiding the effect in the Effects panel will not change its properties if shown later.

Something else you can try: If you use multiple layers, combine them into one to make a set of sublayers. Then in the route layer, add the necessary effects.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I think this is useful depending on how many layers you have for effects. If you have multiple effects on just one layer, it shouldn't be too time consuming. Hiding the effect in the Effects panel will not change its properties if shown later.

Something else you can try: If you use multiple layers, combine them into one to make a set of sublayers. Then in the route layer, add the necessary effects.

Hi, bleduc. Thanks for your attention.

Yes, the global layer effects switch is only useful when the layer has multi effects.

And I test the trick you've suggested:

the above rectangle's shadow disappear in the overlapped area of the two rectangles. This is different from layer effects on sperated layers.

There is difference between the two methods.

post-40119-0-91362400-1480840296_thumb.png

There is difference between the two methods.

I forgot about that. That does get in the way, doesn't it?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 3 years later...
23 hours ago, Roxfall said:

I second this notion. I wish I could just middle-click the "fx" symbol to turn them all off. Right-click to open and then click on a bunch of different windows is time-consuming.

My problem is trying to remember which effects I used on which layer when I try to turn them on again.  If I had to decide whether to have a switch to turn off all effects or a switch to turn back on all effects that had been turned off I'd gladly take the later.  Maybe people with younger minds don't have that issue but I sure do.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

On 12/25/2019 at 10:19 AM, Roxfall said:

I second this notion. I wish I could just middle-click the "fx" symbol to turn them all off. Right-click to open and then click on a bunch of different windows is time-consuming.

I caught a little trick. If you click on just a single FX icon (on a layer) first so the Layer Effects window pops up, you can then shift click the remaining layers, and then turn off all effects at once.

Or, you can shift click all the layers first, and then click on the FX icon (below the layers), and turn off all the effects at once.

If there is a layer that has a different effect than another and is not showing up in the Layer Effects window because of multiple layers being selected, then you need to turn on the effect that normally would be on, and then turn it back off to rest the layer.

On 12/28/2019 at 2:58 PM, Bri-Toon said:

I caught a little trick. If you click on just a single FX icon (on a layer) first so the Layer Effects window pops up, you can then shift click the remaining layers, and then turn off all effects at once.

Interesting trick.  Then you do it again for any still showing the fx in the layer to get the effect turned off.  But then how do you turn on all these back on again when you are done doing whatever prompted you to turn them all off?  I rarely want to turn off the effects on multiple layers permanently.  Usually it's just temporarily until I'm done working on another layer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, Gear maker said:

Interesting trick.  Then you do it again for any still showing the fx in the layer to get the effect turned off.  But then how do you turn on all these back on again when you are done doing whatever prompted you to turn them all off?  I rarely want to turn off the effects on multiple layers permanently.  Usually it's just temporarily until I'm done working on another layer.

Sorry for the late reply. To turn them back on, you do the same thing you did to turn them off as long as you don't close the document or anything. For me, I still have the same settings when I turn them back on. Do you not?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 5:54 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Sorry for the late reply. To turn them back on, you do the same thing you did to turn them off as long as you don't close the document or anything. For me, I still have the same settings when I turn them back on. Do you not?

Sorry for the late response, I missed your entry somehow.  Anyway what I can't remember is when I turn off several layer's fx if the layer A had a blur or was it a drop shadow or did it have both.  And did layer have B an inner glow or an outline or both.  Yes the program does remember the setting of each fx for me even when it has been deactivated.  Many layers have several fx that I have played with before deciding what effect I finally decide upon, so I can't look for fx that have other than default settings either.

If there was just a visibility toggle that did not remove the checkmark from the fx then there wouldn't be the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:40 AM, Gear maker said:

Sorry for the late response, I missed your entry somehow.  Anyway what I can't remember is when I turn off several layer's fx if the layer A had a blur or was it a drop shadow or did it have both.  And did layer have B an inner glow or an outline or both.  Yes the program does remember the setting of each fx for me even when it has been deactivated.  Many layers have several fx that I have played with before deciding what effect I finally decide upon, so I can't look for fx that have other than default settings either.

If there was just a visibility toggle that did not remove the checkmark from the fx then there wouldn't be the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

You bring up a really good point. Currently, I don't think there is any way to work around this. It would be a good idea for the team to implement a horizontal list of layer thumbnails of the  selected layers to show on the top of the Layer Effects window. Then there is a "Turn off/on" button for each and a "Turn off/on" for all. But no matter what is checked off, the effects below the thumbnails will still be checked on as a way to keep track of its effect history. Right now, there is really no way of remembering.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 4:02 AM, seabirdr said:
Now if I want to view a layer with/without layer effects, I enable/disable them one at a time. A global layer effect switch for each layer is time saving.

Here is how Photoshop does. For reference.

post-40119-0-54695200-1480474937_thumb.jpg

Affinity Designer 1.5.0.36

Windows 7 64 bit

Sorely missed.

In Gravit Designer it is just a keypress away fx (control + e):

image.png.fd505b6560453cbab1061192d82d48d4.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2020 at 6:44 PM, Bri-Toon said:

You bring up a really good point. Currently, I don't think there is any way to work around this. It would be a good idea for the team to implement a horizontal list of layer thumbnails of the  selected layers to show on the top of the Layer Effects window. Then there is a "Turn off/on" button for each and a "Turn off/on" for all. But no matter what is checked off, the effects below the thumbnails will still be checked on as a way to keep track of its effect history. Right now, there is really no way of remembering.

Yes please!