You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do We Get Affinity Store (Windows) Updates

I won't doubt that but Inkscape was maybe a bad example since you can go to their page and download the version for mac there

Well believe it or not, I did try that in the past, and it is not well designed for Mac. You need to install XQuarts in order to run it, and then when it's running, there are a whole bunch of compatibility issues. I couldn't even get into the main Inkscape menus to save a file. Only the XQuarts menus were listed.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

oh, didnt know that but certainly doesnt sound well. although needing to have certain stuff installed is also nothing new here. for example needing the redistributable for visual c++ or net framework or all kinda of other more or less annoying things you may need and there are no problems

oh, didnt know that but certainly doesnt sound well. although needing to have certain stuff installed is also nothing new here.

Have a look at the Inkscape FAQ, in particular the many references to Xquartz. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Have a look at the Inkscape FAQ, in particular the many references to Xquartz. :(

Not to be confused with XQuarts, an indeterminate volume measurement unit like XPints & XGallons.  :P

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Not to be confused with XQuarts, an indeterminate volume measurement unit like XPints & XGallons.  :P

I haven't heard of those. How do they weigh out?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

It isn't so much a question of how they weigh out as how they measure up! ^_^

Alfred spacer.png

"Measurement" was already used!! Don't you backtalk me! Haha.

They are of indeterminate weight, much like a henway.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I do not know if I'm on the right topic, I would like to know if I could use my Affinity Designer licence that I bought two months ago for my Windows on the new Mac that I have now or do I have to buy new license for my Mac too?

Thank you

6 hours ago, Zakui said:

Hello everyone,

I do not know if I'm on the right topic, I would like to know if I could use my Affinity Designer licence that I bought two months ago for my Windows on the new Mac that I have now or do I have to buy new license for my Mac too?

Thank you

Hi Zakui and welcome to the Affinity forums.

Unfortunately, a license is only good for the platform it was purchased for. You will need to buy a new one for Mac.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff
7 minutes ago, Ionut Resetar said:

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any difference between the affinity photo app on windows store and the app on affinity.serif.com official website. There is a discount on the windows store right now and I am thinking on buying from windows store in stead of the official website.

They are the same. There is no benefit to buying one over the other (apart from the current discount on the Microsoft Store) so feel free to purchase whichever one you would prefer :) 

• Staff

Hi Ionut Resetar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo Windows Store builds have the same functionality as the Windows versions purchased from the Affinity Store. The only difference is that they can be updated automatically (if you have auto updates are enabled), and don't require a product key to be installed.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Ionut Resetar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo Windows Store builds have the same functionality as the Windows versions purchased from the Affinity Store. The only difference is that they can be updated automatically (if you have auto updates are enabled), and don't require a product key to be installed.

I feel this is a bit stupid ... I went ahead and both the app but I didn't expect this not to be linked back to my affinity account.

I know it wont make a difference in using the app, but still ... I expected this to be linked, also I expected to have the affinity designer to be linked back to the store app, and to just be able to install it from there as well and what I find odd is that the app from windows store has a beautiful app icon, and the one installed the classic way has a small icon (you know what I mean).

16 minutes ago, Ionut Resetar said:

I didn't expect this not to be linked back to my affinity account

Or to put it another way, you did expect it to be linked!

1 minute ago, Drthvdr said:

I bought Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for Windows through the Affinity website when they were launched. Is it possible to transfer these two licenses to Microsoft Store?

No. The thing is, the Microsoft Store is under Microsoft's control, so we're in the same position as we've always been in for those of us who want to use the apps on both Windows and Mac OSs. Just as Apple and Serif respect their customers' privacy and therefore don't share customer data, Microsoft and Serif don't share customer data with each other, and it's therefore impossible for either of them to know whether you own a licence which hasn't been sold to you by them.

Alfred spacer.png

"Apps and Games that are purchased in the Windows Store are non-refundable unless the offer or applicable law states that you’re eligible for a refund. For more information, you may check the Microsoft Terms of Sale."

OMG microsoft crap!!!! mac is just way to expansive ... what else is there ... 

I have to stick with microsoft store app now .... ARRRRGHHH!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Or to put it another way, you did expect it to be linked!

Yes that's right, I was expecting a way to link this together, I was thinking that affinity is selling on microsoft store under microsoft supervision.

On apple store isn't this the same ?? also on android ?? 

From what I know, if you develop an app and submit it to app store, they check it and if everything is ok, you can have it posted in app store and sell it, so you actually sell your app in the apple store ... am I getting this wrong ?

22 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No. The thing is, the Microsoft Store is under Microsoft's control, so we're in the same position as we've always been in for those of us who want to use the apps on both Windows and Mac OSs. Just as Apple and Serif respect their customers' privacy and therefore don't share customer data, Microsoft and Serif don't share customer data with each other, and it's therefore impossible for either of them to know whether you own a licence which hasn't been sold to you by them.

Sure, the part about privacy I can understand as well as not being able to transfer licenses between Mac and Windows as they are different platforms. However it should be possible to transfer the license from Serif's database to Microsoft Store without them sharing any data. If Serif would send a code to the user that will remove the cost when adding the application to the Microsoft account. Then within say 48h the old license will be disabled.

16 minutes ago, Ionut Resetar said:

From what I know, if you develop an app and submit it to app store, they check it and if everything is ok, you can have it posted in app store and sell it, so you actually sell your app in the apple store ... am I getting this wrong ?

Yes, you're getting it wrong! :P

If you develop an app and submit it to the Mac App Store, it isn't sold by you. It's sold (on your behalf) by Apple.

7 minutes ago, Drthvdr said:

Sure, the part about privacy I can understand as well as not being able to transfer licenses between Mac and Windows as they are different platforms. However it should be possible to transfer the license from Serif's database to Microsoft Store without them sharing any data. If Serif would send a code to the user that will remove the cost when adding the application to the Microsoft account. Then within say 48h the old license will be disabled.

I see, thanks: that sounds doable. Over to Serif, methinks!

Alfred spacer.png

There is someone offering "The Affinity Photo Editor" on the Google Play Store (Android). He is also using the official Affinity Photo logo. Rating: 1.4!! He goes by the name "cool hotdog" Anyone know what this is about, as by the reviews it is taking a real beating, and users could associate the logo with Affinity Photo for Mac and Windows? See https://search.app.goo.gl/sY1t 

Screenshot_20171205-204554.png

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870