You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do We Get Affinity Store (Windows) Updates

The Windows or Mac OS version on the computer does not matter; it is all about the computer(s) that you own or control & how many people use them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The Windows or Mac OS version on the computer does not matter; it is all about the computer(s) that you own or control & how many people use them.

good beacause I had other software firms telling me that I would need to have a license for each os for their software, nice that affinity handles this better. I guess I'll get it when I can try a trial but sadly no trial is out for windows yet

yes but does one PC with Multiple WIndows installations (for example windows 7&10) count as one seat or as multiple seats?

different software is treating this seemingly quite different. some treat it as multiple and some treat this as one.

Let's put it this way:

You, in person, have 10 computers -- 5 with WinOS and 5 with MacOS.

You have to buy 2 licenses, for each app, and you can install them on all computers.

You are not allowed, even they are your own computers, to run the apps on all 10 at same time. It is supposed, in this case, that 10 people are working at the same time.

But, you can open and work with each oh them on any single computer by your choice.

If any other person(s) is involved you have to buy additional one licence for that person if he is going to work on only one OS, or two licences -- for both OS's.

Or, to be more precise, because you have 2 licences for each OS's, you or one more person, can open and work at the same time on both OS's.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for the company but this just my view.

You know  back in the day  people complained about  having to pay for for software for their individual OS and then complained that they had to pay twice for upgrades for two different operating systems. Companies like Adobe said hey we got a great answer to solve your problems and your gonna love it! We sell you the license to use the software and you never have pay to own the software and we call it a subscription. Then you can run your software on any computer you want. Well look where that lead us... lol

Correct me if I am wrong: Software is still a product that not tangible like hardware but still tangible for the what its code produces. I guess this why they call it a digital product. I am assuming much of the code and functionality of the coding required is still bonded by the agreement of the OS ( as in Operating system - Apple, linux, Microsoft Android, IOS, and etc.)  it utilizes to function. The code requirements is different for each OS differs therefore, making the software product actually two different products. The time it takes to code and the physical resources required for each come at a cost and that cost is tied into the value and price point of the product.  So, in my opinion and this just my opinion so don't  hunt me down to burn me, but it seems to me giving away products that go cross more operating systems would be costly and bad business for a company. I own both mac and PC Platform and if the cost of this application was to expensive I would probably make on a decision on wich OS is most important for me to run this software on. 

I mean its a debatable topic, but personally I really don't want to go back to a subscription and I only want to pay for the about as much of application functionality as I need. When  the IOS version of it hits my IPAD pro I will buy that version too but I wont be buying a version for Another tablet operating system. 

-Ramble 2 cents  completed lol

I agree, Ronnie. And I really envy Affinity for following their own plans. The common person would say to sustain a modern world, but I just do not like the way a lot of modernism flows. Sometimes it is okay to be the solo thinker, because solo thinking is power. Any new ideas will consume with competition whether those ideas are good or bad. My point is, I like Affinity because they work away from most other competitors which would require monthly subscriptions, cloud services, tracking, and a lot of other cheap moves. They are very fair to their customers.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

There are some times announcements in the News section. There was a topic on Affinity Photo 1.5's release. In other cases, there are updates in the Windows/Mac Beta section. I think the best thing to do, however, is to check the Affinity store (Windows), or the App Store (Mac) for minor updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning. I am a registered purchaser of Affinity Photo.

When I launched the software this morning, v1.0.45 I believe, I was prompted to download the upgrade.

I downloaded and installed. When I launched it, I was told I needed to buy it.

How can I get the latest production version? (Although, I wouldn't mind trying the beta.)

Thanks,

William Shaheen

Gold Canyon, AZ

• 2 weeks later...

If I bought AP on Apple Store do I have to purchase it again for my PC? I understand that you allow installation on as many computers as personally control.

Yes. Each platform requires a separate license.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Just wondering: why is Affinity Photo available via the App Store on Mac, but not on the Windows Store? This would allow for a more streamlined update process, more payment options (which can be linked to a Microsoft account) and the assurance of a clean uninstallation (which I'm not going to do anytime soon). Moreover, this would allow users of Windows 10S (for educational purposes) to install the Affinity apps as it is not possible to install apps outside of the Store in this version of Windows.

Just wondering: why is Affinity Photo available via the App Store on Mac, but not on the Windows Store? This would allow for a more streamlined update process, more payment options (which can be linked to a Microsoft account) and the assurance of a clean uninstallation (which I'm not going to do anytime soon). Moreover, this would allow users of Windows 10S (for educational purposes) to install the Affinity apps as it is not possible to install apps outside of the Store in this version of Windows.

I don't know too much about the Windows App Store, but isn't it just for more basic programs? Any time I took a look at it when I had Windows 10, I thought all UIs looked the same and minimalistic. Another reason might be for safer installations?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I don't know too much about the Windows App Store, but isn't it just for more basic programs?

No, even traditional win32 apps can be converted to a so called 'desktop bridge app'. For example, the Evernote app is just a converted 'old' app, and Spotify will do the same with their app soon. Converting an app has some nice advantages, which can be found here (see 'Distribute through Windows Store' in the table). New apps written for Windows 10 (and Windows 10 Mobile, Xbox, Hololens) are often 'UWP' apps, which have a lot of advantages but requires rewriting the app.

Any time I took a look at it when I had Windows 10, I thought all UIs looked the same and minimalistic.

That's because in the early stages of Windows 10, only new UWP apps were allowed in the store. All apps were relatively new and large companies couldn't upload their existing apps because the desktop bridge didn't exist at that time.

Another reason might be for safer installations?

Yes, apps in the store are checked for viruses/malware and can be removed without leaving traces (even changes to the registry will be repaired when uninstalling). 

You can read more about it here.

@Pindasmeer

I don't have a link handy to refer you to but in the past one of the Affinity staff said there were 'some problems' with offering the Windows apps through the Windows App Store that they wanted to avoid, which is why they decided to offer them through their own store. I do not remember if there was any mention of the specific nature of those problems or if so what they are, but they did consider that.

Affinity Photo 

Don't understand this discussion. Apple users need it simplest for several reasons (maybe also devote customer-vendor relations) so the bounding to their store. No clue why windows users should have a connection to the Windows store. This would mean that there is a data exchange with Microsoft and the application would run in the Modern App cage. 3rd party workflow integration, colour management, plugins - all would go if the software is packed into this jail. In any way, Serif - please don't release Photo/Designer as modern app...

keep Apple away...

[...] This would mean that there is a data exchange with Microsoft and the application would run in the Modern App cage. 3rd party workflow integration, colour management, plugins - all would go if the software is packed into this jail. In any way, Serif - please don't release Photo/Designer as modern app...

To be honest, the difference between the Apple App Store and the Windows Store aren't that big. That jail actually has quite some nifty features and advantages for end users. But indeed, there might be some limitations to 3rd party support and I was hoping someone could elaborate on the 'problems' as mentioned by R C-R. That's all :)

To be honest, the difference between the Apple App Store and the Windows Store aren't that big. That jail actually has quite some nifty features and advantages for end users. But indeed, there might be some limitations to 3rd party support and I was hoping someone could elaborate on the 'problems' as mentioned by R C-R. That's all :)

well one problem to start is that a winstore version wont run on win7. also a UWP piece of software wont run on win8.1 either. axing any of those 2 is in my opinion not a good Idea because both are still in support and Windows 10 still is a piece of problematic software where drivers can fail and a lot of other funny stuff can happen with their system of 2 big updates per year.

and to top it off, you need an MS account for the Win Store which has its implications, especially if it still behaves like back when I tried the Win10 Store the first time, where it wanted to convert your whoole user account into a Windows account, in comparison Win8 let me the option of setting up the MS account only in the store which is way less problematic.

and at the very least I trust microsoft not a bit, especially with their recent path of win10s and even going as far to say it's the "soul" of win10, and having a full lockdown, honestly builds a scary image of the FUture of windows in my Mind at the very least.

@Pindasmeer

I don't have a link handy to refer you to but in the past one of the Affinity staff said there were 'some problems' with offering the Windows apps through the Windows App Store that they wanted to avoid, which is why they decided to offer them through their own store. I do not remember if there was any mention of the specific nature of those problems or if so what they are, but they did consider that.

I didn't want to say it because I didn't want to seem like one of those people who say, "Oh Mac is so great," and give it a bad name, but I had a feeling this was the case. In the Mac App Store, any application is malware and virus free like the ones in the Windows App Store (according to Pindasmeer), but each application can also be uninstalled by dragging it from the Applications folder or LaunchPad right into the trash (unless it was from the internet). This also uninstalls all related files. I don't know if it's the same for Windows, because the Control Panel doesn't actually uninstall all related contents. You have to follow the uninstallation process from each manufacture. If you don't, then you have many other files in the background eating your system. The bottom line is, I left Windows because of so many security issues which are just not addressed.

@Pindasmeer

Try here. ^_^

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In the Mac App Store, any application is malware and virus free like the ones in the Windows App Store (according to Pindasmeer), but each application can also be uninstalled by dragging it from the Applications folder or LaunchPad right into the trash (unless it was from the internet). This also uninstalls all related files. I don't know if it's the same for Windows, because the Control Panel doesn't actually uninstall all related contents. You have to follow the uninstallation process from each manufacture. If you don't, then you have many other files in the background eating your system. The bottom line is, I left Windows because of so many security issues which are just not addressed.

This is exactly what has been fixed in the Windows Store. All apps that are installed through the Store are completely removed (all folders and registry items included) when right-clicking 'deïnstall' at the Start Menu - just as is the case with the Launchpad on Mac.

Try here. ^_^

Thanks for the link! To be honest, that discussion is full of misconceptions ;). The discussion is all about UWP and floating Windows, but an app doesn't have to be 'UWP' to be added to the Windows Store (I think only 'Kelps Leite de Sousa' is getting it). The application can just be repackaged and added to the Store using the Desktop Bridge. The only valid argument of not adding the Affinity apps to the Store (at least the only one mentioned in that topic) is the 30% margin, but then again, they have added the app to the App Store for Mac where the same margins apply :).

I don't use Windows PC's so I have no horse in this race but here are a few things that may be of interest to some of you that do:

1. It is not true that on Macs uninstalling the app will remove all related files. Specifically, all the com.serif.affinity* files stored in ~/Library/Containers (the per user Library folder, not the System/Library or root level Library ones) will not be touched. These folders include user preferences, plug-in preferences & settings (for Affinity Photo), & various other per user application support files. A lot of these files are just tiny (less than a KB) aliases needed because of sandboxing, but the /Data/Library/Application Support folders can be in the tens of MB range -- not really much space overall but something to consider if you really want to get rid of all the related files.

2. I do not know much about the Windows Store, but from what I read here, Microsoft is collecting a lot of user data, theoretically on behalf of developers, but considering the comments from some Windows users on this forum about their concerns about what data Serif collects when the Windows versions "phone home," I suspect many Windows users would not be thrilled about this. There are also, shall we say, some trust issues about Microsoft's access to this data & what they might use it for. In contrast, Apple shares very little data with developers -- as I understand it, nothing more than aggregate sales numbers necessarily included with payment info.

3. As I understand it, the licenses for Windows Store apps limit installs to a maximum of ten devices. This is, at least for non-commercial uses, more restrictive than either the MAS or Serif Store licenses. I don't know how many users would need more than ten installs, but it is something to consider.

4. I don't know anything about UWP related limitations but I have noticed that a lot of (all?) Windows Store apps require Windows 10, or at least Windows 8.1. The Affinity apps sold through the Serif Store will also run on Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 & Aero enabled. If all Windows Store apps require Windows 8.1 or above, this could hurt sales. So do all Windows Store apps really require 8.1 or better, or are there any other limitations in play with this?

Affinity Photo 

1. It is not true that on Macs uninstalling the app will remove all related files. Specifically, all the com.serif.affinity* files stored in ~/Library/Containers (the per user Library folder, not the System/Library or root level Library ones) will not be touched. These folders include user preferences, plug-in preferences & settings (for Affinity Photo), & various other per user application support files. A lot of these files are just tiny (less than a KB) aliases needed because of sandboxing, but the /Data/Library/Application Support folders can be in the tens of MB range -- not really much space overall but something to consider if you really want to get rid of all the related files.

That actually makes sense, but it's not good to know. I have downloaded various programs, both from the App Store and the internet, and any time I researched the way to uninstall the internet programs from that manufacture, it would just say to move all contents to the trash. So I guess I have to backtrack all of the remaining files that are still hidden in my system.

2. I do not know much about the Windows Store, but from what I read here, Microsoft is collecting a lot of user data, theoretically on behalf of developers, but considering the comments from some Windows users on this forum about their concerns about what data Serif collects when the Windows versions "phone home," I suspect many Windows users would not be thrilled about this. There are also, shall we say, some trust issues about Microsoft's access to this data & what they might use it for. In contrast, Apple shares very little data with developers -- as I understand it, nothing more than aggregate sales numbers necessarily included with payment info.

It's too bad that the real commercialized businesses need to do this. Trust is really becoming an issue.

Windows Store apps do require Windows 8 which is the OS version that introduced it. There no Windows Store in Windows 7.

that is, if Windows 8 has that Desktop bridge too. if not, it woould be w10 only.

I have downloaded various programs, both from the App Store and the internet, and any time I researched the way to uninstall the internet programs from that manufacture, it would just say to move all contents to the trash. So I guess I have to backtrack all of the remaining files that are still hidden in my system.

If a Mac app includes a dedicated uninstaller, it usually will remove all the per user stuff, but not always. The rationale for leaving user prefs & such untouched is that it (usually) does not really use up much drive storage space & should users decide at some future time to reinstall the app, their preferences won't have to set up all over again.

In actuality, some apps are coded to wipe out any preexisting user prefs during installation, while others update or replace them as needed to ensure compatibility with the installed version. Complicating things, some apps share some preferences among different apps from the same developer & there are several places where apps, particularly older ones, might store user prefs.

So it is best to leave this stuff alone unless you are sure you know it is not shared with an app you still use, particularly if they do not use much file space. I think it is generally safe to delete anything in ~/Library/Containers that uses the reverse URL notation (like com.seriflabs.affinitydesignerbeta), but it is always a good idea to have a backup just in case something is deleted that should not be.

Affinity Photo 

Very informative. If you say that the left over files do not eat up that much space, then I guess I have nothing to worry about. I guess it's just the right method of uninstalling software I need to worry about. When I read from a few internet applications that did not have an uninstaller to just move the contents to the trash, I just assumed it would be the same for any other. I don't think there is anything equivalent to uninstalling Windows programs in the Control Panel for Mac.

Here I go, getting off topic again. Haha. So the bottom line is that I guess Affinity sells their Windows products in their own store for more safer security reasons.