You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do We Get Affinity Store (Windows) Updates

• Staff

MadMak,

Affinity Windows software will prompt you each time you start the application to (optionally) open a browser window to our updates page. The prompt will show each time you start until you accept the update. The webpage will have a full download/install that when you run it removes the existing version and replaces with it with the new one (1.5.1 or 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 etc). On a machine with the software installed, no email or password is needed the update is automatic. On a clean machine, the 'update' acts like a new install. prompting for email and password and install location.

For public beta builds (like this), the same is true when we make another public beta build available, but you will be brought to these forums for the beta download.

I have moved your post and my reply to the Questions and Feedback forum, as many people will be wondering about this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

MadMak,

Affinity Window software will prompt you each time you start the application to (optionally) open a browser window to our updates page. The prompt will show each time you start until you accept the update. The webpage will have a full download/install that when you run it removes the existing version and replaces with it with the new one (1.5.1 or 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 etc). On a machine with the software installed, no email or password is needed the update is automatic. On a clean machine, the 'update' acts like a new install. prompting for email and password and install location.

For public beta builds (like this), the same is true when we make another public beta build available, but you will be brought to these forums for the beta download.

I have moved your post and my reply to the Questions and Feedback forum, as many people will be wondering about this.

Strange. I`m using Windows 10 bought af. designer and still using 1.5.0.36. Is this really the current version? As I tried the beta I was always reminded. Normaly you get the information about possible updates in the help menu.

Pardon my english I´m from Germany

• Staff

Hi elma,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer 1.5.036 is the most up to date retail version. There wasn't any updates for it yet since its release.

The public Beta has ended with Affinity Designer's release. From now on only customers who purchased the application can install the Customer Beta which you can download from here (since you apparently have bought it). The current Customer Beta version (for Windows) is 1.5.1.41

Hi elma,

Affinity Designer 1.5.036 is the most up to date retail version. There wasn't any updates for it yet since its release.

The public Beta has ended with Affinity Designer's release. From now on only customers who purchased the application can install the Customer Beta which you can download from here (since you apparently have bought it). The current Customer Beta version (for Windows) is 1.5.1.41

This is probably the wrong place to ask since I'll be getting a Macbook soon, but what is the difference between the customer beta and the regular beta? What is new in the customer beta? I will surely be buying this awesome products for Mac, so I'm interested to know.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

bleduc,

Free before we were selling Vs only for customers after... If you follow MEBs link the beta forum thread has 2 detailed explanations near the bottom from Mark and I.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Right. I followed it, and I think I caught what you were talking about.

Designer, the vector illustration and design application has already been through the public beta phase, and has been released as a product, so if you want to test it, you need to buy it...

...If you want to just try Designer before you buy, then you are looking for a Trial version of the software, which isn't available yet (but should be shortly).

The purpose of this beta build is to test out changes and fixes that customers may need to use the purchased software. If the beta changes are succesful they will make it into a release build for those who have bought the software.

I guess I'm asking what changes there are since the Windows beta already completed.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry for that late reply. I had a busy weekend. Thank you for the answer.

Are all future releases of AP free to current customers?

If I bought AP on Apple Store do I have to purchase it again for my PC? I understand that you allow installation on as many computers as personally control.

Thank you!

All updates are free until Photo 2.0. However, a license is good for only one computer.

• Staff

Hi Adam Kielcz,

Yes, you have to purchase a license for each platform. For more details about the license please check this section - Digital orders | How many computers can I install a digital product on - on this page for more details.

As bleduc said, all minor updates will be free until version 2.0 which is considered a major update as and such will be paid.

All updates are free until Photo 2.0. However, a license is good for only one computer.

I installed AP on my main computer, but I'm getting a windows 10 laptop this week. Normally I am allowed to use a program on both my desktop and a laptop because I would never be using both at the same time. Is this different for Affinity Photo?

Thanks

Jim

js-ca.net

I installed AP on my main computer, but I'm getting a windows 10 laptop this week. Normally I am allowed to use a program on both my desktop and a laptop because I would never be using both at the same time. Is this different for Affinity Photo?

Thanks

Jim

js-ca.net

My understanding: assuming your "main computer" is also a Windows machine, no problem about also installing it to the new Windows laptop.

However, if that main computer is a MAC, you will need to buy a separate licence (and program, Windows version) for the laptop.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Sorry about that. It's not the first time I got information mixed up. I wish there was an option to mark a star on certain topic for review. I can look back, but there are just so many topics I responded to now.

As bleduc said, all minor updates will be free until version 2.0 which is considered a major update as and such will be paid.

is there any schedule for that? not that I would later purchase it and one month later version 2 comes out.

also about the how many computers part, do multiple OSes of the same OS family on one computer (e.g. Windows 8 and windows 10 dual-booting on the same PC/Laptop) still count as "one computer" or are that two?

about the how many computers part, do multiple OSes of the same OS family on one computer (e.g. Windows 8 and windows 10 dual-booting on the same PC/Laptop) still count as "one computer" or are that two?

For personal use, one licence covers you for every computer that you own or control, so it doesn't matter how many different versions of Windows you have installed on each computer. The rules are different for commercial use, but even with multiple computers (or multiple boot options) that's really only relevant if there's more than one user.

Affinity License Agreement

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

So how come I have to pay for Windows cersion, if I've Mac version?

Sorry, I should have said that one Affinity Designer or Photo on Windows licence covers multiple Windows computers (which is what this thread is about). Affinity on Mac licences are sold through the Mac App Store, and (because Apple and Serif don't share customer data) there's no way to get a free licence for one platform if you've bought a licence for the other one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For personal use, one licence covers you for every computer that you own or control, so it doesn't matter how many different versions of Windows you have installed on each computer. The rules are different for commercial use, but even with multiple computers (or multiple boot options) that's really only relevant if there's more than one user.

Affinity License Agreement

yeah I read that stuff already, and if I would want to use this on a business on a shared multi-os computer would I need to get multiple Windows licenses or does one license cover all windows installations on that hardware.

yeah I read that stuff already, and if I would want to use this on a business on a shared multi-os computer would I need to get multiple Windows licenses or does one license cover all windows installations on that hardware.

For business uses, one license covers one seat (multiple users on one Windows PC) or one business user (on multiple Windows PC) but not both. The Mac licenses are the same, but you still have to buy licenses separately for Macs & PCs.

So for example, if you are the only Affinity app user of a Windows PC at work, your license also covers your use on any other PC you use for business purposes, but if more than one worker uses the Affinity app on that PC, you & the other workers would need to purchase additional licenses to use the app on any other PC.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Is there a place on the forum or something where (small) official updates are announced? My two editing machines are not connected to the internet so the autoupdate won't work.

There are some times announcements in the News section. There was a topic on Affinity Photo 1.5's release. In other cases, there are updates in the Windows/Mac Beta section. I think the best thing to do, however, is to check the Affinity store (Windows), or the App Store (Mac) for minor updates.

For business uses, one license covers one seat (multiple users on one Windows PC) or one business user (on multiple Windows PC) but not both. The Mac licenses are the same, but you still have to buy licenses separately for Macs & PCs.

So for example, if you are the only Affinity app user of a Windows PC at work, your license also covers your use on any other PC you use for business purposes, but if more than one worker uses the Affinity app on that PC, you & the other workers would need to purchase additional licenses to use the app on any other PC.

yes but does one PC with Multiple WIndows installations (for example windows 7&10) count as one seat or as multiple seats?

different software is treating this seemingly quite different. some treat it as multiple and some treat this as one.