You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cool. Sounds positive.

Yeah, I've heard that before about Publishers and having a book that you've made yourself. It's a strange one. It's a wonder people get published at all with that attitude.. Keep plugging away, I'm sure it'll happen.

Looking forward it seeing it in bookstores!

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• Staff

Really interesting to hear how you got on - thanks for the update, Allan! :)

It's SO frustrating to be told that being proactive is basically a bad thing and that they'd prefer you to go in with half-baked vague ideas and a sketch on the back of a cigarette packet! :S  Grrrrr....

Stick with your own ideas and control things the way you want to - if you don't you will never be happy no matter what they offer you. It sounds like the first meeting was very positive in terms of the book itself and, with any luck, one of the other publishers you see will be a better fit and they'll be incredibly happy you walked through the door - as will you! ;)

Keep us updated please! :D

Matt (officially book customer #1, YES!!!!)

• Staff

I got my books today, thanks Allan! I think they are great and I can't wait to give them to Freddie. I wish I'd asked you to sign my copy like you did Matt's but I'm still chuffed! The stickers are a nice touch too, cheers :D 

From MattP: "Wahoo!!! Got my books just now - thank you!!!"

Lucky MattP & Chris B! Mine is somewhere on a boat on the Atlantic Ocean trying to get to the USA.

:wacko:

[Okay, I know it is probably airmailed but on-a-boat seemed more dramatic - it is a cartooned character novella, after all.]

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I got my books today, thanks Allan! I think they are great and I can't wait to give them to Freddie. I wish I'd asked you to sign my copy like you did Matt's but I'm still chuffed! The stickers are a nice touch too, cheers :D

Awesome, well it gives you a reason to turn up to the book signing then :D  :lol:

Wahoo!!! Got my books just now - thank you!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_4411.jpg

Can't wait to read them with my son later - I'll let you know his thoughts tomorrow! :D

;)

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• Staff

Update from my son: Seems they went down very well with a 4 year old - he actually asked for them to be read again straight afterwards! (and he asked for a banana too, haha!) He found the tomato-head monkey hilarious and enjoyed saying Giraffe's catchphrase "Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey" :)

So to be perfectly honest, he got a lot more out of them than quite a few of the books that he already has - and those ones have obviously already been published, so fingers crossed for MSM signing a deal! :D

Update from my son: Seems they went down very well with a 4 year old - he actually asked for them to be read again straight afterwards! (and he asked for a banana too, haha!) He found the tomato-head monkey hilarious and enjoyed saying Giraffe's catchphrase "Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey" :)

So to be perfectly honest, he got a lot more out of them than quite a few of the books that he already has - and those ones have obviously already been published, so fingers crossed for MSM signing a deal! :D

Amazing... Thanks for the feedback, after all, it is their feedback that is most important! The tomato part is the part that causes a few giggles amongst the kids, which is intended. A book that has a catchphrase and causes a giggle, it seems like I'm on the right path. I'm sure with the right person onboard this will do well.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Yay, My first rejection...

"Thank you for sending us through two of your books from the Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey series (via email and printed copy) which we read with great interest. Sadly, we don’t think that Bright would be the right agency for your work. In terms of looking for representation, we would suggest the Children’s Writers and Artists Yearbook as a useful resource, particularly as it covers both children’s agents as well as publishers in the UK, and the kind of work they are looking for.  

We are sorry not to be able to take your submission any further, and wish you the greatest success in finding the right home for the Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey series".

To get this far is an achievement itself and I certainly don't have an expectation of a deal with one attempt! Interesting though they are the second to recommend that book and yes I will purchasing it.

What I have discovered is that, like life, there is a box and you must fit into it. I've never been able to do that.

What I need is someone to see the potential of this and realize it's not just a book. The field I'm trying to fit into like Hey Duggee and Peppa Pig started with the cartoon first, then had Ladybird take on the book series, so something to consider. 

Love all the feedback so far and will continue on this journey and now realizing how difficult it is to break into the Children's book market.

Tell you what, this is an inspiration, following your journey. My Strawberry Monkey vs The Publishers! Keep on keeping on, undoubtedly you are going to get there in the end!

George

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

post-37528-0-51071300-1482801792_thumb.jpg

Okay, the USA verdict is in...

Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey is a hit!

Witness the attachment jpg showing twin 2-yr olds who can now even say "Strawberry Monkey" (well, close enough to be recognized, anyway). Their rapt attention continued even to the back cover so thanks for including interesting content there too. Your inscription was special and the parents really appreciated it. We liked the inside cover where I could write Merry Christmas and "This Book belongs to...." Seems like you thought of everything. The large decals of My Strawberry Monkey's face were fun too! Our vote is... don't stop here! There must be more adventures to come.

BTW, the book arrived Christmas eve; timing could not have been better and thanks for the special handling.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell you what, this is an inspiration, following your journey. My Strawberry Monkey vs The Publishers! Keep on keeping on, undoubtedly you are going to get there in the end!

George

Thanks George, the journey will continue! 

attachicon.gifmyStrawberryMonkey-reading.jpg

Okay, the USA verdict is in...

Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey is a hit!

Witness the attachment jpg showing twin 2-yr olds who can now even say "Strawberry Monkey" (well, close enough to be recognized, anyway). Their rapt attention continued even to the back cover so thanks for including interesting content there too. Your inscription was special and the parents really appreciated it. We liked the inside cover where I could write Merry Christmas and "This Book belongs to...." Seems like you thought of everything. The large decals of My Strawberry Monkey's face were fun too! Our vote is... don't stop here! There must be more adventures to come.

BTW, the book arrived Christmas eve; timing could not have been better and thanks for the special handling.

:D  :D  :D  :D

That's amazing, thank you so much for the feedback. And you're the first in the US to have a copy, so start spreading the word! Love the picture, they look soooo cute!

There eventually will be more, I just need to work on the first two and get them to a place I'm happy with then I'll have some space left in my head to focus on another adventure...

When I first started MSM there was an idea to give him a family, after all as young kids it's important that they understand the family roles.

Attached is the first real development and could now lead into more stories like Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey why won't you sleep! I'm sure most parents will relate to that...

Let me know what your thoughts are of Mummy Monkey and Daddy Monkey... BTW you are the first to see this.

post-9020-0-27652000-1483529979_thumb.jpg

Let me know what your thoughts are of Mummy Monkey and Daddy Monkey... BTW you are the first to see this.

You probably realize (note the transatlantic spelling!) that it would have to be "Mommy" rather than "Mummy" for the American market. Perhaps you could call them "Ma" and "Pa" instead.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

When I first started MSM there was an idea to give him a family, after all as young kids it's important that they understand the family roles.

Attached is the first real development and could now lead into more stories like Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey why won't you sleep! I'm sure most parents will relate to that...

I like it. ...

And the Libra in me says but what about Peanuts? Unlike the Simpsons, no adult figures have ever appeared in Peanuts (I think). Of course, the parents in the Simpsons are really the "fall-guys," the source of the idiocy. And Peanuts is arguably not really for children, or is it?

Horrible of me to offer this thought process, right? Especially since I think you are right to introduce parental characters within the scope of teaching family responsibilities. And peers, too.

Say, what kind of a pet does a Strawberry Monkey have? The giraffe is a buddy, right? Maybe a Mocha Mouse? That would be a good pet!

:lol:

PS. I'll let Alfred compare those Southpark kids.

;)

Birthday cards, ring Clintons now!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

You probably realize (note the transatlantic spelling!) that it would have to be "Mommy" rather than "Mummy" for the American market. Perhaps you could call them "Ma" and "Pa" instead.

That was just for here, if I get on board with a publisher, they will take care of that. But yes it would be Mommy in the US if indeed I stick with titles.

I like it. ...

And the Libra in me says but what about Peanuts? Unlike the Simpsons, no adult figures have ever appeared in Peanuts (I think). Of course, the parents in the Simpsons are really the "fall-guys," the source of the idiocy. And Peanuts is arguably not really for children, or is it?

Horrible of me to offer this thought process, right? Especially since I think you are right to introduce parental characters within the scope of teaching family responsibilities. And peers, too.

Say, what kind of a pet does a Strawberry Monkey have? The giraffe is a buddy, right? Maybe a Mocha Mouse? That would be a good pet!

:lol:

PS. I'll let Alfred compare those Southpark kids.

;)

Giraffe is a buddy, correct. Interesting topic, but since I'm trying to fit in alongside Peppa Pig which has a strong family element to it and Hey Duggee, who is some form of scout leader and there is indication of parents dropping off and picking up of the kids I think it might be a good idea for many reasons, one being that these both are very successful compared to others which haven't lasted as long. Pretty sure Peanuts was aimed at an older age range even though young kids may have watched it, brings back many memories of the show.

Birthday cards, ring Clintons now!

LOL. :D

Presumably not Hillary and Bill! :P

Always someone to take this topic off course!  ;)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update!

I've been making some tweaks, as you do! And working on some different poses for Giraffe. He is now standing on some of the pages. It was something that was nagging me...

I've not had any more meetings since the first back in December due to reducing this book from 44 to 32 pages to be within the upper range of the standards for picture books and introducing some new ideas. Also, the printing process has been super painful.

Like most projects, it's never finished, but at some point very soon I will let go and start to make some submissions. One particular publisher is re-opening submissions this Friday, hopefully I'll be ready in time.

I'm still considering self-publishing, if I do, the publishers won't want to take this on. So I'm trying to tread this one carefully.

Allan

post-9020-0-67826000-1488379220_thumb.jpg

post-9020-0-93372600-1488379236_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about this today after one of your pics popped up in my IG feed. Keep working away, honing your ideas and keep plugging away with the publishers man, don't get dishearted. I'm sure you'll get there. I wishing you all the luck, dood.

George