You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So...

After a few trials and errors, I have the 3rd proof back from the printers. Ohhh My Strawberry Monkey started a little while back as single comic strips but felt it wasn't the right direction. So its turned into a Children's book (under 5's) it's aimed at pre-schoolers.

There is so much more to the story and I'm sure I'll tell it one day. I wrote and put the book together in Affinity Designer and yes I'm looking forward to publisher, which no doubt would've helped but it worked. 

Anyway, the next step is to send a copy to a few publishers and I'm also considering self-publishing. 

There will also be a few copies available, so you lucky people get to experience the first, (hopefully) in a series of many.

So if you've got young kids and would like a copy leave a comment...Thinking of you Matt P and Chris B...

(Is this also the first Children's book to come out of Designer?)

Allan

post-9020-0-99008300-1480443239_thumb.jpg

post-9020-0-71057600-1480443254_thumb.jpg

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

WOW! Well done man! Love it!

All the best with sending it to the publishers. Hopefully it catches their eyes. If you get rejected, keep plugging away and one day you'll get there! Awesome stuff (love it when things like this happen)!

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• Staff

SOOOO EXCITED!!! Send me an email and I'll send you some cash for my copy! :D

There's definitely been a couple of other kids books drawn in Designer, but yours is the first with Strawberry Monkey and Giraffe for certain! ;)

Crossing my fingers for you with the publishers - sometimes it's the little things that catch their eye and then when your foot is through the door you can start a proper dialog with them :)

Matt

Thanks Guys...

Not sure how this will plan out, but there are other ideas I have for MSM, it isn't just a book. 

@eejits @MattP yeah, there is always that chance. Most publishers expect a word doc full of text so for me to send a finished book will no doubt help me to stand out whether they publish or not. There are only a few publishers that I'm interested in as I have done my research and know where my book will fit in.

I also had a nice conversation with an agency a few weeks ago and will head back with the finished product for them soon and there is a children's book shop around the corner from me and will pop in to see them about getting a few copies in there. I've also looked at a few blogs by mothers and will make contact soon. So I have my plan and hope to see progress by the end of this year. Another path to consider is a Kickstarter campaign...

Part of the plan is to end up at a publisher already established on social media and blogging sites to add weight to the book.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

add weight to the book

Oh no, you don't want to do that. You'd just increase the postage costs! :P

It's looking (very) good. Best of luck with your project, Allan. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You can do it, Allan!

Thanks Peter, I'm have a meeting next week, so we'll see what happens after that.

Oh no, you don't want to do that. You'd just increase the postage costs! :P

It's looking (very) good. Best of luck with your project, Allan. :)

:D  Ohhh Alfred!

Wow I'd love to buy a copy! 'Ohhh, My Strawberry Monkey...' is still a popular quote in the office and it's rubbing off at home too so I may as well have the book :P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Love it, hopefully it's one that sticks around forever. Will let you know soon, slight delay as I had a battle with Preview <_<  and a few errors spotted. 

• Staff

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Love it, hopefully it's one that sticks around forever. Will let you know soon, slight delay as I had a battle with Preview <_<  and a few errors spotted. 

No worries. Drop me a message when you're ready :) I've already told Freddie about it and he kept shouting "Boooooook! Money boooooook!" (he can't quite say monkey yet) :P

No worries. Drop me a message when you're ready :) I've already told Freddie about it and he kept shouting "Boooooook! Money boooooook!" (he can't quite say monkey yet) :P

Will do! 

Yes, Allan you can get it.

Thanks Gert1985. 

Best wishes for success!

Thanks Ayzara! I have a meeting this week. Will update  everyone soon!

So...

After a few trials and errors, I have the 3rd proof back from the printers. Ohhh My Strawberry Monkey started a little while back as single comic strips but felt it wasn't the right direction. So its turned into a Children's book (under 5's) it's aimed at pre-schoolers.

There is so much more to the story and I'm sure I'll tell it one day. I wrote and put the book together in Affinity Designer and yes I'm looking forward to publisher, which no doubt would've helped but it worked. 

Anyway, the next step is to send a copy to a few publishers and I'm also considering self-publishing. 

There will also be a few copies available, so you lucky people get to experience the first, (hopefully) in a series of many.

So if you've got young kids and would like a copy leave a comment...Thinking of you Matt P and Chris B...

(Is this also the first Children's book to come out of Designer?)

Allan

This looks like a fantastic children's book. I think it would be great for my 2-yr old grand-twins, one of which loves monkeys! (The other is leaning toward cats). Put me down for a copy, please. It is fun to know it is produced with such quality by the same software I use.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

This looks like a fantastic children's book. I think it would be great for my 2-yr old grand-twins, one of which loves monkeys! (The other is leaning toward cats). Put me down for a copy, please. It is fun to know it is produced with such quality by the same software I use.

Awesome, I'll send you a message. The first copy in the US will be yours...

Ohhh My, What's this? 

post-9020-0-34248300-1481737909_thumb.jpg

Superb stuff! How did it go with the publishers?

George

Well, I went more for the advice than anything else. They are a small publisher and a older age range, so not for me but the person I saw use to work at Puffin.

She gave some useful feedback, main things were:

Strong Character

Good Story

Loved the parts that were meant to cause a giggle & she did.

She gave some other suggestions that I'm not sure I totally agree with as that would mean the Hey Duggee books are in the wrong format and no one would publish, yet they're onboard with Ladybird. 

I think she picked up how self-sufficient I am and loved how far I've got by myself. She did mention to me that some publishers won't like that I've got an ISBN on it (although a dummy one for now) She also indicated, like someone else had that some will be put off because I've made the book myself??? Which makes no sense to me and I can tell that I wouldn't be able to work with anyone like that.

She did tell me of a situation she was in where she tried to sell the publishing rights abroad but no-one would take it because the illustrator was unknown?? What??? SO I should be prepared that a publisher if they like it might get their own illustrator in.

Unless your offer me a super crazy deal then that's not going to happen, (Obviously this hasn't happened and is a maybe)

I've learned a lot about publishers and how much control they want, not sure I'm prepared to give that up.

Overall though it went well and they liked the book and besides making a few tweaks I wasn't told the story was weak, or the character and illustrations are poor and I need to rethink this.

She will send an email with some follow-up info which will help, and I have a few more to contact over the coming weeks.