You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.5.1.41

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key, issues when Windows version was purchased.

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is worth noting that files created in Affinity Designer 1.5 cannot be opened in Affinity Photo 1.4, which means that although files created with the Windows beta can be opened in the Mac AppStore version of Designer (currently on 1.5.4) they cannot be opened in the latest Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo, instead you will need the latest macOS 1.5 beta.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed sporadic problem with context toolbar changing to a tool in a different document
  • Fixed CMYK swatch tooltips display with 8-bit values
  • Fixed 32-bit Preview not changing colour profiles when document colour format changes
  • Changed PDF Export to convert 32-bit images to 8-bit
  • Fixed artifacts appearing with a 3D Layer Effect profile on an object with a Linear Gradient
  • Fixed cursor not updating in Freehand Selection when move is available
  • Fixed being unable to deselect by clicking with Freehand Selection tool
  • Fixed sporadic crash when opening and closing documents after having an adjustment layer panel open
  • Fixed memory leaks Character and Navigator panels
  • Fixed Split view mirror mode Before/After slider remaining draggable
  • Changed default EXR export to 32-bit (instead of 16 half)
  • Fixed clicking while in Pan mode with the Zoom tool will still cause the app to Zoom
  • Fixed being unable to paste Enhanced Metafiles
  • Fixed for Paste from external clipboards being permanently disabled
  • Fixed crash when pasting an object as an SVG
  • Fixed memory leaks when the progress dialog is displayed
  • Fixed exporting images to Dropbox / Google Drive / other file synchronisation services (would previously fail to write metadata)
  • Fixed crash when using Logitech 510 wireless and using Logitech Options software, when scrolling horizontally (software was delivering invalid mouse coordinates)
  • Added special paper sizes (from the printer) in the Print dialog if not already present
  • Fixed Custom Paper Size not being remembered between Print dialog sessions
  • Fixed borderless printing
  • Fixed list of available keyboard shortcuts not updating when changing Persona
  • Fixed potential crash when opening multiple documents
  • Fixed potential crash when showing rulers
  • Fixed Export Selection with background failing
  • Fixed UI jumping around on some popups when Windows is set to left handedness
  • Added a minimum size to the Help window
  • Fixed resetting User Defaults causes app to be minimized to its smallest size on next start
  • Removed invalid 'Reset Fill Context' shortcut
  • Fixed clicking on flyout button a second time not closing the flyout
  • Improved performance of Layers / Export controls when adding items
  • Fixed Layer names not updating correctly
  • Fixed right clicking on a layer only displaying the context menu for a split second when the Character panel is visible
  • Fixed pressing the Character / Paragraph button on the context toolbar not expanding collapsed panels
  • Fixed right clicking a node in a Curve Adjustment doesn't update the preview
  • Updated more icons to look better on a dark background at 100% zoom
  • Use higher precision pointer position for new Pointer API (Windows 8.1 and higher, Surface type devices)
  • Use higher precision pointer position for Wacom devices
  • Fixed 3D and Bevel Emboss filter effects
  • Fixed angle dial displaying decimals
  • Fixed Text > Character Traits > Underline will tick both Underline and Strikeout
  • Fixed some fonts incorrectly appearing as Segoe UI in the dropdown
  • Fixed crash when dragging a Bevel/Emboss Profile node via FX dialog
  • Fixed Continuous Export being re-enabled after creating a slice 

Fixes

• Fixed crash when pasting an object as an SVG
  • Fixed pressing the Character / Paragraph button on the context toolbar not expanding collapsed panels
  • Updated more icons to look better on a dark background at 100% zoom
  • Fixed some fonts incorrectly appearing as Segoe UI in the dropdown 

Thanks for these, Mark.

With regard to the last two points quoted above, the cross in the cursor for the Artistic Text Tool, the Frame Text Tool and the Artboard Tool is still barely visible at 100% zoom, and I'm still seeing some dingbats font names displayed using characters from the font.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Same for me with the cursor clarity

With regard to the last two points quoted above, the cross in the cursor for the Artistic Text Tool, the Frame Text Tool and the Artboard Tool is still barely visible at 100% zoom, and I'm still seeing some dingbats font names displayed using characters from the font.

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

CrPzyCp.jpg

https://getsharex.com/

Thank you ! (for this release :) )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for the notice about AF beta 1.5.4.41

I was a little surprised to see this in your message intro:

given that this is a beta test version. And anyway, how could I have already purchased the Windows version, which I had thought had not been released? (At least, I got no notice of such. I would have expected, for example, to be told that it was released, and for a limited time only I could buy it at this reduced price, yadda yadda.)

But when I went to install this beta version, the installer asked for my product key.

What am I missing here? Did I sleep through something consequential?

UPDATE

Well, I have just installed beta version 1.5.0.42.

So - NEVER MIND!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

I was a little surprised to see this in your message intro:

given that this is a beta test version. And anyway, how could I have already purchased the Windows version, which I had thought had not been released? (At least, I got no notice of such. I would have expected, for example, to be told that it was released, and for a limited time only I could buy it at this reduced price, yadda yadda.)

But when I went to install this beta version, the installer asked for my product key.

What am I missing here? Did I sleep through something consequential?

Apparently so, Doug! Affinity Designer on Windows was released on 17th November, and for a limited time only (originally one week, but since extended to two) you can buy it for £10/$10/10€ off the normal price. The AD 1.5.1.41 beta is a customer beta, not a public beta, so if you don't have the 1.5.0.36 release build installed it will ask you for your product key.

UPDATE

Well, I have just installed beta version 1.5.0.42.

So - NEVER MIND!

What you've installed is the latest beta version of Affinity Photo on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hallo,

ich bin etwas verwirrt, da ich bereits eine gekaufte Windows-Designer-Version habe, die ich anscheinend NICHT updaten kann auf die neueste Beta, ist das korrekt so ?

Die gekaufte Version trägt die Nummer ... 36, die aktuelle Beta ... 41 - WIE soll ich mich verhalten ??

Gruß aus Germany :-)

----
Google Translate:

Hello,

I am somewhat confused, since I already have a purchased Windows Designer version, which I apparently can not update to the latest beta, is this correct?

The purchased version carries the number ... 36, the current beta ... 41 - How should I behave?

Greetings from Germany :-)

• Staff

You need the purchased version to be able to use the customer beta. However they are installed separately as they are beta versions so can be less stable than a release version and not always suitable for production use.

Therefore if you still wish to use the release you can, but also use the beta on the same PC at the same time.

----

Google Translate:

Sie benötigen die gekaufte Version, um die Kundenbeta verwenden zu können. Allerdings sind sie separat installiert, da sie Beta-Versionen sind so weniger stabil sein kann als eine Release-Version und nicht immer für die Produktion zu verwenden.

Deshalb, wenn Sie noch die Freigabe verwenden möchten, können Sie, aber auch die Beta auf dem gleichen PC zur gleichen Zeit.

Thanks for this beta! Seems to address several relevant problems. But will it expire like the previous betas? In this case I would have to go back to the originally purchased version (36), which can be annoying.

Hi Mark. Impressive fix list thanks, but having download version 1.5.0.42 Beta today, it appears to take far longer to open a Canon CR2 raw file then the previous beta or is it my imagination? File is 23meg same size as I used before so I expected a delay but there does seem to be a much longer delay now? Perhaps others could offer their views?

• Staff

Virtualzak,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums,

Can't install without key!

You are correct, See the 4th line of the first thread. Requirements: A valid product key, issues when Windows version was purchased. 

This Affinity Designer for Windows beta release is only available to those who have bought the software. The free public beta of Designer has finished now that the software is for sale in the Affinity Store.

The purpose of this beta build is to test out changes and fixes that customers may need to use the purchased software. If the beta changes are succesful they will make it into a release build for those who have bought the software.

If you have bought the software already, just use the same email address and Product Key that you were given for the purchased software. If you have not bought the Affinity Designer for Windows software yet, you cannot use this beta build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

By not having a serial number I cannot test the product, and I want to.

How can you expect to sell this product if we can't test it.

I think you people should think over your marketing strategy.

I can't spend money on a software that I cannot test, even if it looks promising.

Thank you,

• Staff

Mircea,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I can't spend money on a software that I cannot test, even if it looks promising.

Thank you,

This is not a marketing version, this is for validation of bug fixes by people who have bought it.

You are looking for our free 10 day trial version. It hasn't been released yet on Windows, but it's coming soon.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you,

Designer, the vector illustration and design application has already been through the public beta phase, and has been released as a product, so if you want to test it, you need to buy it.

Photo, the photo editing application is in public beta, you don't need a key to download and test that.

If you want to just try Designer before you buy, then you are looking for a Trial version of the software, which isn't available yet (but should be shortly).

Was the release of Affinity Designer for Windows the best kept secret of 2016?

I would have thought that at least Beta users would have been informed, even if Serif users weren't.

I also seem to remember in the seemingly endless posts which announced all this to Serif customers that a discount was going to be available.

Ian

Was the release of Affinity Designer for Windows the best kept secret of 2016?

I would have thought that at least Beta users would have been informed, even if Serif users weren't.

I also seem to remember in the seemingly endless posts which announced all this to Serif customers that a discount was going to be available.

Ian

I don't know for certain, as this isn't my department, but I believe we emailed everyone who signed up to the beta, as well as the existing Serif customers. Did the email end up in your spam folder?