You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

View & Move Tool Switching

When opening a new document and/or several photos, the View tool is the active tool.   When I want to copy from the active image, I  select the Move tool, then right-click to open the menu, and select the Copy option.  Then,  I  select one of my other images so you can paste what I just copied,  Now,  I have to re-select the Move tool to get the menu  with the Paste option because the tool reverts back to the View tool.

This is VERY annoying when copying from one image and pasting into another.  It's also a lot of extra work.  It would seem to me that the Move tool should stay active until you change it yourself. 

And yes, I am aware that one can Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V if you're a key pusher, but I am not. I use the mouse exclusively.

Is this the way it's supposed to be?  I hope not.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

You only need to re-select the Move Tool if you want to use the context menu. The Copy and Paste options are always available from the Edit menu, regardless of which tool is currently active.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

When opening a new document and/or several photos, the View tool is the active tool.   When I want to copy from the active image, I  select the Move tool, then right-click to open the menu, and select the Copy option.  Then,  I  select one of my other images so you can paste what I just copied,  Now,  I have to re-select the Move tool to get the menu  with the Paste option because the tool reverts back to the View tool.

This is VERY annoying when copying from one image and pasting into another.  It's also a lot of extra work.  It would seem to me that the Move tool should stay active until you change it yourself. 

And yes, I am aware that one can Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V if you're a key pusher, but I am not. I use the mouse exclusively.

Today I have posted exactly the same question.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30010-copy-and-paste/

When I hope the image it appears with the Viewer selected and therefore it is impossible to copy a small are of the image.

I have just discovere how to come out from this problem (thanks to the help I got from this forum)

Rasterize... (to be activated from the Layer menu on the top bar); this to change the image from pixel to raster.

- Select the area with a Marquee Tool

- Click on the Move ToolCopy (CTRL+C) and the at last Past (CTRL+V) where needed.

Rather complicated, but it works.

The  Move Tool works perfectly in AD, but not at all in AP.

A poor photo editor like IrfanView (it is the best to manage simple things) can do very easily such simple matters, while a sofisticated software as AP cannot; it is incredible.

As MEB explained in the post quoted by KoBu in your other thread, an 'Image' layer is an object and can only be transformed globally. When you rasterize the layer, its type changes to 'Pixel' and you can then manipulate it at the pixel level.

IrfanView doesn't have objects (except temporarily, for things like adding text).

Alfred spacer.png

Why would you want to rasterize a photo?  Isn't it already in pixel format?  In AD, if I open  2 photos, and I want to copy one photo and paste it into another photo, it works perfectly when using the right-click menu to copy and paste.

When doing the exact same thing in AP, the right-click menu does not work because it has switched back to the View tool when I want to paste into the second photo.  I know you say that's by design, but why?  Why doesn't it work the same way in both programs?  I've used a lot of programs but never one that does this.  It's awkward and makes the learning curve more difficult and frustrating.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

I personally am glad that AP places new images as an object and not rasterized by default.

I use a lot of assets, and keeping them as an object is really handy as the original resolution is preserved.

In PS it's the opposite, and several times it happened I started working, and since I was focusing on the creative part, I forgot to convert the pasted assets to smart objects. If I had any up-scale to do, I had to re-do the whole compositing process related to the assets from scratch!

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

This isn't about AP placing images as an object, it's about the tools changing when attempting to paste.  The move tool is active when you make a copy but when you want to paste the copy on another image, the tool switches back to  the View tool.  I am happy that it does paste as an object, that's how it should be.  The problem is in the tools.  It works great in Affinity Designer, but not in Photo.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Sorry MaryLou,

From some posts above I was under the impression that the rasterize was an issue.

I see what you mean. I've to check this out a little further, as I think I've had a few confusing moments myself.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

No apology needed.  I just didn't want the thread to change from the original post.  I really find this a problem and there are others on my forum who have also complained about it which is why I posted. It only makes sense that if I copy something, doesn't matter what it is, that I'm most likely going to paste it. Therefore, the Paste option should be available on the right-click menu just as the copy was.  In AP, it is not.  The instant you click on another photo, the tool changes from the one with the right-click menu (the move tool) to the View tool which has no right-click menu. If I select a tool, I expect it to stay selected until I select another one. I don't want the program changing my choices for me.

I find this to be very inconsistent with all the rest of the program and of course, with Affinity Designer which DOES work this way.

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

This isn't about AP placing images as an object, it's about the tools changing when attempting to paste.  The move tool is active when you make a copy but when you want to paste the copy on another image, the tool switches back to  the View tool.  I am happy that it does paste as an object, that's how it should be.  The problem is in the tools.  It works great in Affinity Designer, but not in Photo.

I'm not seeing any difference between AD and APh in this respect. As Chris said, the tool selection is remembered per document rather than globally, so if I have two documents open in AD with the Move Tool selected in one and the View Tool selected in the other, the tool switches back and forth as I switch between the two documents.

It seems to me that the simplest approach might be to go to the destination document, select the Move Tool and then go to the source document, so that when you copy from there and switch back to the destination document, the Move Tool will already be selected and you will be able to paste via the context menu straight away.

Alfred spacer.png

Alfred, there IS a difference.  Follow these steps exactly..

1   Open Designer, then open two images.

2.  The Move tool is automatically selected on the active image

3.  Right-click and select Copy to copy the whole image.

4.  Click the second image to make it active.

5.  The Move tool is still active - right-click and paste the copied image.

If you click back and forth from one image to the other, the Move tool stays active no matter how many times you switch back and forth. 

1.  Open Photo, then open two images.

2.  The View tool is active so you have to switch to the Move tool.

4.  Click the second image to make it active. The tool switches back to the View tool.

This means, I have to re-select the View tool to paste the copy.

Bottom line is, Designer has the Move tool as the default when changing from one image to another whereas Photo has the View tool as the default when doing the exact same action.   In Photo, it's extra steps to keep switching back to the Move tool, especially when you are processing multiple images.   You can't do anything with the View tool but drag the image around the screen.

It would seem to me that the tools in a pair of professional programs would act in the same manner.

By having the View tool active, you still have to click  the Move tool if you want to do anything other than just move it.  There are no options associated with the View tool so it makes much more sense to have the Move tool as the active tool.

Hope that made sense. There is a definite difference.  

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Bottom line is, Designer has the Move tool as the default when changing from one image to another whereas Photo has the View tool as the default when doing the exact same action.   In Photo, it's extra steps to keep switching back to the Move tool, especially when you are processing multiple images.   You can't do anything with the View tool but drag the image around the screen. 

Agreed, MaryLou. When I said "I'm not seeing any difference between AD and APh in this respect", I was referring to your earlier post where you wrote:

This isn't about AP placing images as an object, it's about the tools changing when attempting to paste.

The point I was making is that the tools don't change when you switch documents in either program: what's causing you so much inconvenience is that the default tool in APh doesn't have a context menu. I use keyboard shortcuts all the time, so it doesn't bother me, but I can see that it's quite awkward if you constantly have to visit the toolbar to choose a different tool (or visit the Edit menu to choose the 'Paste' option from there, which is what I would do if I couldn't use the keyboard shortcut).

Alfred spacer.png

Albert, there IS a difference.  Follow these steps exactly..

If you click back and forth from one image to the other, the Move tool stays active no matter how many times you switch back and forth. 

4.  Click the second image to make it active. The tool switches back to the View tool.

It would seem to me that the tools in a pair of professional programs would act in the same manner.

By having the View tool active, you still have to click  the Move tool if you want to do anything other than just move it.  There are no options associated with the View tool so it makes much more sense to have the Move tool as the active tool.

I fully agree with you about this issue; it appears to me that they are unable to provide the tools working in the same way as in AD (where is perfect).

In AP the Marquee Tool is just an headake; it is icredible that I am still forced to still use the very poor Photo Editor IrfanView to do what is too difficult with AP.

Amazing; maybe I am not clever enough for it.

Albert, there IS a difference.  Follow these steps exactly..

I have come to end of my problems that seemed to be similar to yours.

Now at last, thanks to help of a Member I have just arrived to the solution.

I give the link to my topic; the last 3 comments will show you the result.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30010-copy-and-paste/?p=146794

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.