You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Eye dropper tool does not always register with small pen and touch wacom tablet

When I use mouse eye dropper works perfect, however when I am using my tablet wacom cth-480 the eye dropper only registers 75% of the time with 25% of the time having completely wrong color. The problems seems to happen when I lift the pen from the tablet and the program does not see/register this properly even though I am still pressing alt button. I have no problems with this tablet in other programs including mischief, sketchbook pro 7 and photoshop cs2.

• Staff

Hey GnomEd,

I find using a pen for this in general is a bit tricker than a mouse. It does appear to jump slightly when you pull the pen away however I've just tested it in PS and noticed that they don't magnify the colour picker. Because of this, it looks as though Affinity is a lot more sensitive when picking a colour especially with a pen.

Any chance you can record a short clip just so I can compare it to what I'm doing? If you don't have anything to record your screen with, might I recommend ScreenToGif which is free. 

Hey GnomEd,

I find using a pen for this in general is a bit tricker than a mouse. It does appear to jump slightly when you pull the pen away however I've just tested it in PS and noticed that they don't magnify the colour picker. Because of this, it looks as though Affinity is a lot more sensitive when picking a colour especially with a pen.

Any chance you can record a short clip just so I can compare it to what I'm doing? If you don't have anything to record your screen with, might I recommend ScreenToGif which is free. 

I worked for a few more days and it seems not to be of a concern. My only problem with color picker which persists is it selects weird colors (I try to select dark red and instead I get grey even though I did not use grey anywhere) HSB adjusters are ok except for Hue one. Hue tends to refuse to move for some reason.

Hi Chris,

I've had the same problem before but can't reproduce it now (problem occurred in earlier beta). What seemed to be the problem was that Photo also registered the mouse input while using my Bamboo tablet. There was some screen glitching and when releasing sometimes it picked the colour from the pen input and sometimes from the mouse (which I wasn't using). I used the color picker with Alt in the brush tool.

• Staff

There was some screen glitching and when releasing sometimes it picked the colour from the pen input and sometimes from the mouse (which I wasn't using).

Ah I wonder if that's what GnomEd was referring to then. I've just tried it again this morning and it does seem to be OK for me in the current RC.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.