You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Object Overprint for Fills and Strokes

Select overprinting for object fill and/or stroke. This would be on an object by object basis - not a global setting. The attribute should be independent for fills and strokes so the user can add overprint to a fill or stroke or both when needed. If multiple fills and strokes for an object are implemented then each fill and stroke should allow independent overprinting.

• Staff

Hi CraigS,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to the Swatches panel, click on the menu on the top-right of the panel and select Add Global Colour.... You can control overprinting for each colour from the dialog that will appear (on bottom).

For more info please check Affinity Designer Help ▸ Colour ▸ Overprinting.

• 5 years later...
On 11/28/2016 at 7:12 PM, MEB said:

Go to the Swatches panel, click on the menu on the top-right of the panel and select Add Global Colour.... You can control overprinting for each colour from the dialog that will appear (on bottom).

Hi MEB,

as you say so I do suppose this will work. I'm quite certain, however, that the vast majority of designers will actually NOT think this way (and not only because they possibly may have years of practice in InDesign, where this is handled in a more obvious and intuitive way).

If we (please excuse me for brazenly generalizing) as designers think of using overprinting, we almost certainly and intuitively will think first in terms of specific objects (= their fills and/or their contours) which are meant to overprint – using whatever(!) colour that's been assigned to them.

Designers will NOT primarily think of the assigned COLOUR as such to be the carrier of the "overprint information" but they will think of the OBJECT (or more precisely of the object's fill and/or contour).

Accordingly it would make very much more sense if in Publisher (and Designer as well, of course) the overprint property could be assigned directly to an object's fill or contour no matter what colour those may be.

Why on earth should I e.g. populate my colour palette with "quasi-duplicates" of even basic colours like Cyan, Magenta or Yellow which then are set to overprint (as opposed to their "regular" non-overprinting standard counterparts) if I just want to achieve an overprinting effect with just one, two or three particular objects?

I really don't get the "thinking“ that's behind Publisher's and Designer's way of handling this (and why it should or could be reasonable to do it this way), while it just seems so natural the way InDesign lets me do this: select the object in question, set its fill's or contour's attribute to overprint and there you have it!

Could you possibly elaborate on this?