You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why do you need this, and what would it mean? If you want full opacity or full transparency you just use white or black on the mask layer, and if you want partial opacity you use a shade of grey.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If you can control the opacity of the mask layer, you have more potential in stting up how the layer works. You then can change the opacity of the cutout part independent from the layers overall opacity. I often use this to play around with the layer adustments and effects.

But of course, it is possible to achieve this by using an adjustment layer on the mask layer. I just wondered if it's possible, because I'm used to it from PS.

• Staff

Hi maxen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, go to the Layers panel select the Mask layer and adjust its opacity on the top of the Layers panel. If the mask is nested to a pixel layer (is a child of), you can select it clicking on its thumbnail, then adjust its opacity as described previously.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I think what might be meant here is that adjusting the opacity of the mask should adjust it's influence on the image, akin to Photoshops "Density" control for masks. Assuming white means "unmasked" then reducing the influence would mean effectively bringing the black level up, so at at a 50% opacity level, any black areas of the mask would behave as though they were 50% grey, with all greyscale values adjusted in a linear fashion. This is a super-useful function in Photoshop (as is the mask blur, rather than having to apply separate adjustments layers to achieve the same effect)

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

This is the  one feature I miss most from Photoshop and saves me lots of time; the density slider in the mask options.

In Photoshop It is so easy and quick to mask the desired area at 100% black and after the fact reduce the density making the mask say 90-98% black so some of the adjustment goes through and it feels less of a divided image. Or if later you decide you went overboard you can easily reduce the density slider instead of messing with the adjustment.

The feather the mask slider is super useful and time saving too.

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2020 at 10:22 PM, C_W said:

This is the  one feature I miss most from Photoshop and saves me lots of time; the density slider in the mask options.

In Photoshop It is so easy and quick to mask the desired area at 100% black and after the fact reduce the density making the mask say 90-98% black so some of the adjustment goes through and it feels less of a divided image. Or if later you decide you went overboard you can easily reduce the density slider instead of messing with the adjustment.

The feather the mask slider is super useful and time saving too.

Yes...it would be greate!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been using PS for one year now, but I think you should replicate the density slider with a Levels Adjustment layer. Where to put it depends on where the mask is. For adjustment layers and released masks you have to put it inside them. If there's a mask inserted in a pixel/image layer, the Levels Adjustment needs to be above the mask. You have to target the Alpha channel of Levels. Basically the Output White Level will double the opacity slider while the Output Black Level should replicate the behavior of the density slider in PS bringing the black up to white at 100%. So at 100% the mask is completely gone.

You can also use Black/White Level and Gamma sliders to edit mask brightness and contrast.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:20 PM, Clau_S said:

I haven't been using PS for one year now, but I think you should replicate the density slider with a Levels Adjustment layer. Where to put it depends on where the mask is. For adjustment layers and released masks you have to put it inside them. If there's a mask inserted in a pixel/image layer, the Levels Adjustment needs to be above the mask. You have to target the Alpha channel of Levels. Basically the Output White Level will double the opacity slider while the Output Black Level should replicate the behavior of the density slider in PS bringing the black up to white at 100%. So at 100% the mask is completely gone.

You can also use Black/White Level and Gamma sliders to edit mask brightness and contrast.

Hi, it would be nice if working, but unfortunately not :/ Aff photo makes the differences between pix layer and mask layer => Levels (or others) adjustment does not affect mask layers....Or i make somethings wrong...?

On 4/11/2021 at 3:33 AM, C_W said:

Thanks for the info @Clau_S It's much appreciated but it's still not as convenient as a simple slider :( 

I know, but that's the only thing for now other than going back to Photoshop... 🙄

1 hour ago, Chita said:

Hi, it would be nice if working, but unfortunately not :/ Aff photo makes the differences between pix layer and mask layer => Levels (or others) adjustment does not affect mask layers....Or i make somethings wrong...?

Did you target Alpha channel?

did you target alpha channel.jpg

On 4/12/2021 at 3:28 AM, Clau_S said:

I know, but that's the only thing for now other than going back to Photoshop... 🙄

Yeah unfortunately it is the only thing that I can do. It's not just a matter of simplicity but time. It's a feature I use a lot. Adding layers and always selecting alpha channel every time you want to make a change is annoying, it can be time consuming (depending on the photo) and ruins the experience. This "fix" has been floating around for a while and it I imagine it's perfectly fine for most users. I am only hoping they do implement a slider since I like Photo Affinity and respect how well they made the program perform for so little money.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Clau_S said:

Oh yeah - this was what i did wrong! Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Chita said:

Other problem - this is not possible for mask under specific layer (cliped mask) - mask affect all layers under....:/

Could you please send a file or post a screenshot to show what you mean?

30 minutes ago, Chita said:

Sorry, solved - must make group and mask must not be cliped but over the masked layer......alchemy...:/

Ok. In my workaround I had taken into account a mask nested inside a layer and in that case I sepcified that the Levels Adjustment need to be nested above the mask to affect it (below it's masked too), but I wasn't sure you were talking about this. Check if this was the case. You could avoid to make groups, otherwise you already have the solution to your problem.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.