mlb

Save failed because access to the file was lost. Document must now be closed.

Hello Affinity team.

After trying the beta, and love it, i've just bought the final version and start my transition for production work (from 15 years of Photoshop/Illustrator !).

But yesterday, in 4 hours, Affinity lost my work 3 times with this message:

---

---

post-35170-0-95383200-1480330677_thumb.jpg

Autosaving limits the damages when the file has already been saved, but if not, it creates a 0 bytes file...

99% stability is okay, but recoverability need 100%.

Why the document must be closed if Affinity can't save the file, but doesn't crash?

Bug happens on different files, started from scratch or from existing files.

Existing files was on an external hard drive, but was not disconnected, except one time after a laptop standyby.

Tell me if you need more details.

Thank you for the amazing work

Windows 10 / 64 bits

Hi MEB :)

HGST 1TB 7200rpm SATA III hard drive connected directly to the Windows 10 / 64Bits laptop trough USB 3.0.

thanks !

Are you saving to a Dropbox / Google Drive / Microsoft OneDrive / etc directory?

No, and not other backup service.

That's probably related with the external drive. 

Related to the drive or not, if i'm working on a unsaved document, I don't understand why Affinity close it if he can't save it?

And that's this behavior who worries me. 

If the unsaved document is in memory, and Affinity encounter any error, let us know that there is an error, but dont close the document.

Not having errors is quite impossible, so I think recoverability is the highest priority.

Thanks.

p.s : same thing in your forum: if i wrote a message, and have any involuntary action (reload, or go back...), the message is losted... Yet the user content is the highest priority in this context ;)

Hi, the forum is Invision Power Board, we don't write it ourselves.

With regards to the file, we don't store the entire file in memory (it would be impractical, even compressed, these files can be many gigabytes), so instead we only load what we need into memory (and load more data, or throw away other data depending on what operations the user is performing). 

If for some reason, your USB drive temporarily disconnects from your computer, then the file handle will be forcibly closed, and we will have lost access to the majority of the data in your file, so we are unable to reconstruct it for the next save.

I agree though, losing customer's data is the worst possible scenario, and we should put in place a backup for when this occurs (auto-save is one such backup, but it only runs every 5 minutes, depending on the user's preference).

Okay but if i'm working on a unsaved document, i guess that the file handle isn't on the external drive until i want to save my file on it?

So why this happens for an unsaved document (that I want save on my external drive)?

I can't really say why it happens, without making a replica of your setup here and testing it. But I think the safest thing to do is save your files to your hard drive, then transfer them to your USB drive afterwards. Not only will it be safer, it will give you better performance in the application as we won't be streaming information from your USB drive.

Same problem here.

I saved my work file to an USB drive. When I removed the USB drive and plug-in again, the drive letter was changed.

Here is my save message:

Affinity_Designer_save_bug.png

Why need to close the file? Just leave it open and I save to other drive. 

Can you fix this? Thank you.

Same Problem here on a Mac 15" 2016.
I have a Samsung T3 500GB connected to a usb-hub and all my documents are stored there. If I have a file opened in Affinity Designer, put the computer to sleep, wake it up again and try to save, I get the same error message.

On my mac's energy saver settings I've unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

Same Problem here on a Mac 15" 2016.

I have a Samsung T3 500GB connected to a usb-hub and all my documents are stored there. If I have a file opened in Affinity Designer, put the computer to sleep, wake it up again and try to save, I get the same error message.

On my mac's energy saver settings I've unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

Perhaps this is some feature that is different between MAC and Windows, but the last thing I would consider doing is to deliberately put my computer to sleep without first saving any file(s) I was working on. 

Despite that setting you have mentioned, surely if the host computer is deliberately put to sleep, any attached drive is going to be similarly affected?  Or, at the very least, the connection between host and external drive is going to be lost?  Which appears to be the catalyst for the problem discussed in this thread.

BTW, @adonis, this section of the forum is officially for "Bugs on Windows".

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

I have been having the same issues on my MacBookAir with a Seagate 1TB slimline external drive, which seems to be getting worse.

I've started working with one file at a time as working with several files open either crashes Affinity or does not save my file. Also, sometimes, I can not export the file - this is when Affinity crashes (not responding) and I have to force close Affinity.

The message below is also what displays. As an example today, out of 24 files, only two saved correctly.

On 11/29/2016 at 9:13 AM, Mark Ingram said:

auto-save is one such backup, but it only runs every 5 minutes, depending on the user's preference

How can I access the auto-save?  I appear to have to have lost the file wholesale.

I do save the files directly to Dropbox for collaboration. It seems the other user edited the file while I was still working in it. When I saved, this happened…

Usually, when this situation occurs, Dropbox saves a conflicted copy. This time, no.

Hi affinitydesignerfan,
You can access/configure it in Affinity Preferences, Performance section; it's called File Recovery Interval and it's set to 300 sec by default but it only recovers files (opening them for you automatically next time you run the app) when the app crashes. In your case you seem to have lost access to the original file because cloud synchronisation changed the file after someone else edited it. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do to recover the work done. We advise to not work directly from external drives/NAS and synchronised cloud files to avoid these issues. Please copy the file to the desktop and work from there instead.

On 5/25/2018 at 4:26 AM, MEB said:

Hi affinitydesignerfan,
You can access/configure it in Affinity Preferences, Performance section; it's called File Recovery Interval and it's set to 300 sec by default but it only recovers files (opening them for you automatically next time you run the app) when the app crashes. In your case you seem to have lost access to the original file because cloud synchronisation changed the file after someone else edited it. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do to recover the work done. We advise to not work directly from external drives/NAS and synchronised cloud files to avoid these issues. Please copy the file to the desktop and work from there instead.

I see. That's unfortunate.

However, would it not be possible for the development team to handle the error a bit more gracefully? For example, run a check for this issue before reaching the point where the file must forcibly close? This way, the user could at least copy their work to another file…

Hi affinitydesignerfan,
For performance reasons Affinity apps don't load all file data to memory so if for some reason access to the original file is lost we can't save the file to another location. These issues are being looked at by the dev teams. Hopefully this will be improved as we move forward.

Hi,

I recently encountered the same issue while working on a file that was stored on a network drive (Synology NAS).
The NAS was in power save mode when I wanted to save the document.
Most applications just freeze shortly while the NAS is powering up (approx. 2-3 seconds), which is no big deal (for me).

I recognized that Affinity streams data from the current file instead of loading everything into memory, so I understand that it could not simply save the document to another file.
(Also it might not be the best idea performance-wise to work from a network drive — but this is another topic)

Maybe it is possible to let the user "find" the file — regardless whether it is still at the same place (NAS/timeout scenario) or has actually been moved (e.g. the aforementioned USB drive letter scenario)?

Not sure if this would work, as Mark said the file handle is lost.

On 11/29/2016 at 4:13 PM, Mark Ingram said:

If for some reason, your USB drive temporarily disconnects from your computer, then the file handle will be forcibly closed, and we will have lost access to the majority of the data in your file, so we are unable to reconstruct it for the next save.

But having the file (again) + recent changes in memory should be enough to "restore" a valid state — I hope :)

Forgive me from posting here as I am working off a Mac, but I don't see this topic listed on the Mac forum and I don't want to start a duplicate thread.  Besides, I think this a software architecture problem that is common to both pc and Mac platforms.

I am also seeing this error from time to time with files stored on iCloud; I work off a MacBook at work and at home and store my work stuff mostly on iCloud.  I often leave work projects open on my laptop when I head home, and then continue working on things from home.  To keep this workflow with Affinity Photo, I have to remember to save and close the photo project before I leave and then reopen it when I get home.  Mostly, I remember to do this; if I don't, then I"m punished with losing any further work on the project that occurs at home up to the point I hit 'save'.  This is obviously very frustrating, but since I save frequently (because I don't trust the software), damage tends to be minimal.  

Having said that, I think I understand the basic reason why this problem cannot be solved in an "end-user blind" fashion.  Still, I think there ought to be solutions out there, such as this one (posted above)... "Maybe its possible to let the user "find" the file"...  much as, for example, iTunes lets me find a missing library file.   Alternatively, let Photo close as soon as the connection to the working directory (iCloud??) is broken, thus preventing any wasted effort to be invested on the remaining 'ghost' of a project file.  All I can say is that network drives and cloud storage is a reality and affy photo will have to work well in that environment.  Please find a way to keep me from continuing to work on a ghost file only to end up with a nonrecoverable error just when I am satisfied with my efforts and hit 'save'.

I've experienced this same problem multiple times whe saving to a networks share, especially if you leave the PC overnight with a document open, then come back to it and try to save.

There needs to be an option given at this error saving part where it prompts you to offer an alternate save location at the very least, and/or save into a recovery state.

Everything was fine until I reopened an .afphoto file in order to edit that I saved couple days ago.  
I start editing and every time I try saving it manually, to SSD or HDD or an External Drive I get the exact same error. 
"Save Failed because access to file is lost."
I don''t get the error on other files. Cannot recover the edited file or auto saved version. If I close everything and start from scratch, when I try saving I get the same error. I never got this error before. 
I'm running on a brand new DELL Workstation with Windows Pro 64bit
- 6 core Intel Xeon E-2186G 3.80Ghz CPU
- 16MB RAM
- 256SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD (Back up)
- AMD Radeon RX 5800X 8MB

My Affinity Photo Performance Preferences:
RAM usage limit: 12287 MB
Disk Usage Warning at: 2048 MB
Undo limit 4044
Video Quality: Bilinear (Best Quality)
(Checked) Dither gradients 
(Checked) Use Precise clipping
File Recovery Interval: 300 seconds
Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 580X
Retina Rendering: Automatic (Best)

My Question is since I don't get the same error on other files, is there temp file I need to delete/reset to be able to save the file that I get the error?
I moved the file to other SSD and HDD and opens fine and I edit but still cannot save it. 

Edited by K r t
Corrected my CPU info

1 minute ago, Pockenfresse said:

If you only have 16 MB of RAM it is probably the whole problem.

That's probably a typo.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta